John Edwards 'not guilty' on one count; mistrial declared on remaining charges

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
SO the money he got in calendar yer 2008 in excess of $25,000.00 from donor C (see, Count 3 at Edwards not guilty on 1 count, mistrial on others - WTOP.com ) was found not to be campaign contributions. It appears the jury concluded that money to aid a guy hide a paramour's pregnancy is not the same thing as money to aid a guy run for office -- even when he is running for office and covering up his sewer rat immorality could be premised on a political consideration.

I don't think the jury was wrong.

But it does make me wonder what else in that stupid indictment the jury struggled with.

i thought the judge ordered them to go back into deliberations on the deadlocked charges.

Yep. And then apparently she realized that deadlocked meant deadlocked. Something must have happened or gotten revealed.

The big question now is whether the Government wants to double down on dumb by trying this case over again.

He could be our sitting VP right now !

Of course, he'd be a widow.....with a sex life.

SO the money he got in calendar yer 2008 in excess of $25,000.00 from donor C (see, Count 3 at Edwards not guilty on 1 count, mistrial on others - WTOP.com ) was found not to be campaign contributions. It appears the jury concluded that money to aid a guy hide a paramour's pregnancy is not the same thing as money to aid a guy run for office -- even when he is running for office and covering up his sewer rat immorality could be premised on a political consideration.

But it does make me wonder what else in that stupid indictment the jury struggled with.

Well he was found not guilty on Count 3:Illegal campaign contributions (maximum 5-year sentence)

Which makes me wonder what the split was for the other 5 counts:

Count 1: Conspiracy (maximum 5-year sentence)

Count 2: Illegal campaign contributions (maximum 5-year sentence)

(Edwards is accused of receiving contributions from Mellon in excess of federal limits in 2007)

(Edwards is accused of receiving contributions from Mellon in excess of of federal limits in 2008._

Count 4: Illegal campaign contributions (maximum 5-year sentence)

Edwards is accused of receiving contributions from Baron in excess of federal limits in 2007.

Count 5: Illegal campaign contributions (maximum 5-year sentence)

Edwards is accused of receiving contributions from Baron in excess of of federal limits in 2008.

Count 6: False statements (maximum 5-year sentence)

i thought the judge ordered them to go back into deliberations on the deadlocked charges.

Yep. And then apparently she realized that deadlocked meant deadlocked. Something must have happened or gotten revealed.

The big question now is whether the Government wants to double down on dumb by trying this case over again.

What was strange is they announced a unanimous verdicthad been reached on ALL counts and then they said only one. :eusa_eh: Who knows...

They didn't get it wrong.

The underlying basis for the case was weak..and given the current state of campaign fund raising..laughable.

It was a "charge" in search of a crime.

CaféAuLait;5372651 said:

What was strange is they announced a unanimous verdicthad been reached on ALL counts and then they said only one. :eusa_eh: Who knows...

it's called misspeaking. nothing strange there at all. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

CaféAuLait;5372651 said:

Seems I can't even comment on the media's rush to get a headline and screwing up breaking news without get a "neg rep" and then being called a "conspiracist". Geese get a grip!

CaféAuLait;5372757 said:
CaféAuLait;5372651 said:

Seems I can't even comment on the media's rush to get a headline and screwing up breaking news without get a "neg rep" and then being called a "conspiracist". Geese get a grip!

commenting on the media?

the media? you are commenting on a single report in the media. :cuckoo:

breaking news would suggest incomplete. now stfu

If the jury determined the money wasn't a campaign contribution, why the problem with the other three campaign related charges?

CaféAuLait;5372757 said:

commenting on the media?

the media? you are commenting on a single report in the media. :cuckoo:

breaking news would suggest incomplete. now stfu

Give it up. Go try to ruffle someone elses feathers. And get that coffee, you obviously need it. :)

Forum List

Back