Job Creators, the Wealthy and Republican slight of hand

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sactowndog, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Sactowndog

Sactowndog Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Okay I will concede Democrats aren't doing much to help jobs but Republicans aren't either despite their talk.

Job creators and the wealthy despite Republican mythology are not a 1 to 1 match. Many small business owners don't fall in the 1%. They are struggling to meet payroll and all their assets are tied into their business. A capital gains tax cut does them no good. They aren't helped to make payroll or modernize their shop with a capital gains tax cut.

On the other side many wealthy investors generate few jobs with their investments. For example, a hypothetical wealthy investor who invested 100% of his portfolio overseas would receive a significant tax cut without generating a single US job.

Even worse, consider a hypothetical hedge fund manager who wanted to purchase a US company with debt and then pay off that debt with increased cash flow generated by off-shoring the US based employees. For this wealthy investor, reducing the capital gains rate makes the deal easier to do and thus the strategy can be executed with more companies not less. So he is getting a tax break with the net effect being job loss.

The Republicans want you to believe their plan will help with job growth. Mitt will talk about how Obama hasn't delivered job growth. What they won't say is their plan is a cynical plan to help the 1% many of whom are hedge fund managers and won't do a darn thing to help middle class job growth in the US.

In fact, it will hurt it.

2. Sactowndog

Sactowndog Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Bump in case someone wants to debate something that will affect jobs instead of the other stuff.

3. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,161
    Some idea's

-Cut waste within government
    -Cut pointless regs
    -Put money into the American economy through modernization(yes, I agree with the democrat talk), This is one of the reasons China is doing so good.
    -Expand our tech sector and offer prizes for innovation.
    -Do something BIG. Kennedy like, Rail road like, highway like, ect.

Put millions of people to work!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. Sactowndog

Sactowndog Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cut waste in government. Yes

Cut pointless regs: yes, especially those that make getting business off the ground

Put money in: How? A Berkeley professor invented the next generation transiter that could reignite Silicon Valley. HP took the IP that California tax payers paid to develop and built the plant to produce it in Korea. As our conservative friends pointed out much of the Obama stimulus money ended up overseas. How do you keep investment local?

High tech: see above

Do something big: this is another area I think Obama is right. Most people spend all their money in four areas: food, energy, housing and healthcare. To truely jump start demand we need a paradigm shift that exponentially reforms and makes more efficient at least one of the areas. Energy and healthcare are clearly the two most inefficient of the 4. Obama is looking for a paradigm shift in two of them.

5. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    Their 'talk'?

Good gawd, man, nobody is talking about adding jobs until the clear and present danger of the Obama Regime is gone.

6. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,161
    Obama is wrong to centralize the health care industry. This doesn't work as it isn't efficient. This isn't a simple fix as history has shown us that allowing private industry to do the world=more better normally.

Sadly, the private industry isn't always fair. Kind of a tricky one we got here.

I agree with some of what Obama is doing within energy, but do feel he needs to focus more on nuclear, natural gas, ect. As Wind and solar aren't going to be number one as energy providers for our nation until we can figure out the storage problem.

Maybe he should focus on modernizing the energy infrastructure to be more energy efficient. This could cut down on energy waste.

I strongly agree with him with private space travel...But I believe that nasa needs to lead the way back to the moon. This would get our children dreaming of becoming scientists and engineers.

You even the playing field with the rest of the world to keep things in our country. Cut the corperate tax.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  7. Liberal

Liberal Libruhl! Libruhl!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    FOCUS on small businesses, not big businesses or "business". Do whatever is necessary to help get them back on their feet, and I do mean "whatever". :eusa_eh:

They are often overlooked by both parties, IMHO.

8. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    It is not the responsibility of government, nor should it be within its power, to provide us with jobs.

9. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,381
    Deep space exploration is where NASA is going, we have already been to the moon. I think the idea of an international space station after this one burns up in a few years, is what NASA has planned, i believe they are tossing up the idea of a movable space station, or a land based one. they do plane on introducing the new launch vehicle which will lift of the deep space explorers next year. I look forward to it.

10. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,732
    There is no way to get back to 2008, no way on earth. If that is the benchmark many are using as a sign of recovery then we will never recover. Too much equity gone forever, too many jobs gone overseas never to return, too many credit ratings ruined, too many people scared to death to take on more debt. The 1% would like us to believe that more tax cuts, more deregulation, more ass-kissing, more republicans in office, will get us back to 2008 before it all came crashing down, do not believe their lies, it will take decades to build back what has been squandered if it is even possible at all.