Jillian: On Blogs, MSM, and a 5 Year Bet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I stumbled across this and found it interesting. There are lots of links and while certainly the criteria is loose, I find the conclusion very interesting:

http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench/news/3302/long-bet-winner-weblogs-vs-new-york

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    It's an interesting analysis. Kind of defines the information age as it currently exists. But, you know what, in five years, the configuration will be different still.

The wikipedia aspect interests me a lot because I use it constantly. I know you think that it's nameless/faceless/unreliable information, and, truly, on some of the more controversial subjects, I wouldn't trust the editorializing. But for everyday, run of the mill information, I love wiki. I really do.

Speaking of blogs though, I think you might like this one if you haven't discovered it already. It's a perfect blog for politics junkies and is hugely female driven.

http://wonkette.com/

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Oh I visit there daily, have for I think over 2 years. In all fairness, I often will just say, "That's Wikki" :rolleyes: because you don't know who is writing what. At the same time, it's the fastest way to find what you are looking for and building upon the info. For instance, Baron mention Rothbard, I went to Wikki, then .edu advanced on Google. I most certainly found information. That's what citations and reliability are about. Advanced searches are our friends. :lol:

I often do the same with blogs; check out what I'm reading with MSM searches and such. I don't like posting stuff that is regularly proven wrong, I assume everyone knows how to search like myself. ;) Who says one learns nothing in post-grad degrees?

4. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    A lawyer (not me, I swear) once tried to get a judge to take "judicial notice" (i.e., accept as truth) of a Wikipedia article. He was older and semi-aware of the Internet. All the other attorneys had a pretty good laugh about that one.

But I think it's partly reliable, especially for urban-legend kinds of stuff.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    That would have made me laugh, too. But I get to see lawyers do all kinds of stupid stuff with evidence all the time. My favorite is watching an attorney without the right witness try to get in documents by his own "testimony"...

and I've seen printouts from online, but that doesn't usually go well.

Most people don't quite get the hearsay thing.... and that includes lawyers and even some judges.

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    The way I use Wiki is for easy access to facts. The sun is about 870,000 miles in diameter. Antarctica covers 5.4 million square miles. The 14th President of the US was Franklin Pierce. No one has a vested interest in the diameter of the sun. Even for such easy facts, Wiki needs to be checked. I do not rely on Wiki for anything that requires interpretation, or anything that must be comprehensive. For example, I would not rely on Wiki for a history of Kosovo, or the timeline of the 2000 US Presidential vote count in Florida. Too many people have vested and emotional connections to such topics. The only way to get even a partially objective view of such subjects is to use multiple sources.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,458
    Since Wiki is often the first link that comes up on a search re many things, I find it most useful for dates, names, places, and key words to use in comprehensive searches for information I need. I rarely trust Wiki alone for anything; or if it is the sole source I link, I always add a qualifier that it is Wiki and therefore may or may not be accurate.

8. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I agree, I find so much information there biased I skip it on any search. Doug, who posts on this site sometimes, mentioned the other day he writes some of the stuff there and a more revisionist conservative I have yet to find.