Jews win 5 of 7 Nobel Prizes this year

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:32:05 AM Yourjewishnews.com/Ha'aretz
remarkable for ¼ of 1% of the World's population.

Israeli scientist Daniel Shechtman has made headlines at home for winning the 2011 Nobel Prize in chemistry, but he is not the only Jewish recipient, with members of the tribe making a strong showing this year in both medicine and physics.

Ralph Steinman and Bruce Beutler were awarded the Nobel Prize for medicine for their discoveries on the immune system along with French biologist Jules Hoffmann. Steinman will receive the award posthumously, passing just three days before the Nobel committee announced that he was among the winners.

Saul Pelmutter and Adam G. Ross, both American Jews, are two of the three Nobel Prize in physics winners, recognized "for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae.”

So far, five of the seven Nobel Prize winners this year are Jewish; their Yiddeshe mamas must be so proud.

People of the Jewish faith disproportionately win Nobel prizes in science every year. The only other group of people that ever seem to give them a run for their money historically are German born.

Genius is common in the Jewish people.

Overachieving academically and then in ones field also common in that ethnic.

That's basically all there is to it.

Actually, though overachieving, education, and questioning things in general are ethics taught by their religion, I do not believe they have disproportionate geniuses when compared with other groups.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:32:05 AM Yourjewishnews.com/Ha'aretz
remarkable for ¼ of 1% of the World's population.

Israeli scientist Daniel Shechtman has made headlines at home for winning the 2011 Nobel Prize in chemistry, but he is not the only Jewish recipient, with members of the tribe making a strong showing this year in both medicine and physics.

Ralph Steinman and Bruce Beutler were awarded the Nobel Prize for medicine for their discoveries on the immune system along with French biologist Jules Hoffmann. Steinman will receive the award posthumously, passing just three days before the Nobel committee announced that he was among the winners.

Saul Pelmutter and Adam G. Ross, both American Jews, are two of the three Nobel Prize in physics winners, recognized "for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae.”

So far, five of the seven Nobel Prize winners this year are Jewish; their Yiddeshe mamas must be so proud.

Poor ekrem.... poor poor ekrem. This will be such a blow

Quoted From Jews win 5 of 7 Nobel Prizes this year.

Ok... five of the seven Nobel Prize winners are identified by this article as "Jewish". But of these five how many are atheists? Would a "Yiddeshe mama" be proud of the accomplishments of a son who was an atheist?

Willing to bet all of them. I'm an atheist as well.

My dads Jewish and I'm an astrophysicist and a cosmologist, so I suppose maybe the stereotype stands?

My dad is pretty intelligent too.

Never really attributed my intelligence to my Jewish heritage though.
You should.
[......]
Expert Findings

Achievement

Ashkenazi Jews have made disproportionately Large contributions to presumably Intellectual pursuits.

Though they are about a ¼ of 1% of the world's population, they comprise 28% of Nobel Prize winners in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, and Economics,
and have accounted for More than Half of world Chess Champions.

In the United States, Ashkenazi Jews represent less than 2% of the population, but have won 40% of the Nobel Prizes in Science awarded to U.S. citizens, and 25% of all Turing Awards.

A significant decline in the number of Nobel Prizes awarded to Europeans and a corresponding increase in the number of prizes awarded to U.S. citizens occurred at the same time as Nazi persecutions of Jews drove them from Europe during the 1930s and the Holocaust reduced their number in Europe during the 1940s.[11]

[............]

User:Alansohn/Ashkenazi intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Forum List

Back