Jewell, falsely tied to '96 blast, dies

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By HARRY R. WEBER, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - Richard Jewell, the former security guard who was wrongly linked to the 1996 Olympic bombing and then waged a decade-long battle with news organizations to defend his reputation, died Wednesday. He was 44.

Jewell was found dead in his west Georgia home. An autopsy was scheduled for Thursday.

"There's no suspicion whatsoever of any type of foul play. He had been at home sick since the end of February with kidney problems," said Meriwether County Coroner Johnny Worley.

more ...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070829/ap_on_re_us/obit_jewell

This dude got hosed bigtime by the media.

I agree. It was a real tragedy.

He was the guy who discovered the package and was demonized by the idiotic press.

Specifically the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The one media outlet that refused to settle with Jewell. Guess they can write this one off now. According to article, the case was finally supposed to be heard in January.

I agree. It was a real tragedy.

He was the guy who discovered the package and was demonized by the idiotic press.

Not just the press, the FBI messed with him as well. They investigated him aggressively regardless of the complete lack of evidence. They publicly searched his home, questioned his friends and coworkers, investigated his background, and kept 24 hour surveillance on him. It wasn't until he passed a lie detector test given by an ex-FBI guy that they left him alone. All because of an FBI "lone bomber" profile, screw the evidence, screw his civil rights (I don't recall anyone calling for Janet Reno's head during all the hoopla). That same profile was leaked early on to the press and that was when they jumped on him. Two of the victims of the bombing even sued the poor man based on the reporting by the media.

It wasn't until last year, August 1, 2006, that Jewell recieved any recognition for his rescue efforts during the attack.

He got screwed over big time.

Forum List

Back