Jenny McCarthy: My son's recovery from autism

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by CrimsonWhite, Apr 2, 2008.

1. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Interesting read.

2. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,338
    Thanks for this.

My GF works with handicapped people, and she's seen it all. Fragile X syndrome, CP, you name it. She says Autism is clearly the worst. With most disorders, there's a way to still get through to the patient and reason with them. With autism, no such luck the majority of the time.

Our son was born in August, and we're not vaccinating him until he's around 4 or so, if even at all. We understand the consequences of not vaccinating, as far as schooling goes, but no one's going to tell me I have to pump my kid full of dose after dose of THIS vaccine and THAT vaccine. It's ridiculous how many shots kids need to get these days.

We're mostly erring on the side of caution at this point, as we're not really that educated on the subject. I've read about it here and there, but only know the basics of the Thymerisol preservative that is used in vaccines, and how it's SUPPOSEDLY been reduced to the point of only needing individual doses of the vaccine instead of the doctor pulling 10 or 20 from a vial that gets re-used until it's gone.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm very concerned about those that are relying on those of us that have our children immunized:

http://www.pediatricnews.com/article/S0031-398X(08)70114-0/fulltext

4. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,220
    There are a few things you have to weigh up. Is there any relationship at all between jabs and autism? Studies done? What were the parameters of the studies?

Most importantly though, if there is a connection, you have to make a choice: If 1 in 150 kids going to become autistic if they take a tetanus jab, is that a reasonable number given that if they get tetanus and are not immunised they could die a very horrible death (same with diptheria etc).

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I have friends who had totally normal kids until they were vaccinated and became autistic after. Seems something in the stabilizing agents in the vaccine (probably the mercury) affects predisposed children.

It's a horrible nightmare for a parent.

6. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    My wife did reasearch at the University of Alabama. The program she worked in was an austism research center set up like a preschool. They had special ed qualified teachers with dual degrees and people like my wife( a very sharp doctoral student), observed and published findings. She thinks the vaccine thing s completely horseshit. She tells me that she has seen many kids misdiagnosed, but the ones that are dead on and have autism, project more psychological symtoms than physical. She told me tonight that austsm is the most misdiagnosed disorder in children under five. She chocks up the kids that responded to detox as misdiagnosed.

Still an interesting read, though.

7. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    I'm with you here. Until shown more evidence, I will still have my kid vaccinated. We are not that far removed from small pox, polio, and typhoid.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    We vaccinated our son to no negative results, thankfully. But I saw what happened to the kids of a few of our friends. Their lives changed totally after. Why did your wife think the vaccination thing wasn't one explanation?

9. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    My wife read this thread over my shoulder and suggested a couple of books. Here are some links:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Evidence-of-Harm/David-Kirby/e/9780312326456/?itm=2

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Vaccines/James-Lincoln-Collier/e/9780761415398/?itm=10

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=4071931461625&isbn=1881217329

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprin...sm&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

She said to ignore the bias in the first one, as it is written by a reporter and not a PhD. I read the first few pages and seems like an easier read than most of the shit she throws at me. Also, she said because she doesn't put any stock into it, doesn't mean it should be ignored.

10. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    She said, through her research the kids that showed improvement through detox, also exibited symptoms that were inclusive to other disorders( I am not a psycholgist and cannot even begin to describe what those symptoms are). Those that exhibited exclusive autistic symptoms did not respond to detox. The only thing that keeps her interested in the corrolation is that in not one of her studies, has she found a kid with autism that was not vaccinated(this of course could be the laws that require vaccinaton and that it is common practice).