Jeff Bezos Takes Wapo's Advice, Rips Off Wapo Workers

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Washington Post (9/23/14) reported that the paper's new ownership would be slashing retirement benefits for employees:

The Washington Post announced large cuts in retirement benefits on Tuesday, declaring that it would eliminate future retirement medical benefits and freeze defined-benefit pensions for nonunion employees.

The company also said that in negotiations that started Tuesday, it will seek to impose the same conditions on employees covered by the union–one of the first indications of how the Post's new owner, Amazon.com founder Jeffrey P. Bezos, will manage relations with the staff of the news organization.

The changes will hit hardest at employees hired before 2009 who could plan on receiving pension payments based on their income and years of service. Each of those employees could see scores–or hundreds –of thousands of dollars less over the course of a retirement.

Jeff Bezos Takes WaPo s Advice Rips Off WaPo Workers

There is a part of me that firmly believes that this is absolutely horrendous.
Then I remember Charles Lane.

The Real Reason Why This 8216 Washington Post 8217 Op-Ed Demands More Defense Spending Americans Against the Tea Party

I realize that WaPo whole heartedly supports this and should be screaming from the headlines how much they love it.

Last edited:
How does it hurt employees hired before 2009? The statement "freeze defined-benefit pensions" means that they can't negotiate a better deal than they already have. It seems to me that "future retirement medical benefits" would hurt only future employees and that's what every corporation is doing. Why should future contracts include medical care when they have Obamacare?

Forum List

Back