Java threat?

The only Java listed in my laptop's "Installed Programs" are two updates.

I guess it's for folks doing programming?

Not necessarily. They're likely talking about the "Java Virtual Machine," which is part of every browser plugin, and is often used elsewhere, too.

Java threat?

INDONESIA_(f)_1229_-_Monte_Bromo_erutta.jpg

Ok well it seems much ado about nuttin'.
I'm still paranoid from having my email hacked last month.

Happened to my wife about a year and a half ago. She was using Outlook Express. I have her on gmail with multiple security layers in place.

Java threat?

I don't even know what Java is. I think it has something to do with composition. Lately a little box has been popping up in my task bar advising that updates to Java are available, but because my new Win/7 computer is finally working perfectly I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. So I just X these pop-ups away.

Also, past experience has made me rather paranoid about downloading anything I don't have good cause to trust. So now I'm wondering if this news about a threat might be related to those pop-up invitations.

Ya think?

Java threat?

I don't even know what Java is. I think it has something to do with composition. Lately a little box has been popping up in my task bar advising that updates to Java are available, but because my new Win/7 computer is finally working perfectly I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. So I just X these pop-ups away.

Also, past experience has made me rather paranoid about downloading anything I don't have good cause to trust. So now I'm wondering if this news about a threat might be related to those pop-up invitations.

Ya think?

Pop up invitations?? :eusa_eh:

Java threat?

Ya think?

Yes. A little box pops up from my taskbar telling me to click on it for Java updates.

Ya think?

Yes. A little box pops up from my taskbar telling me to click on it for Java updates.

Oh, okay. Go to the link I posted, a few posts back, and update from there just in case. Once updated then reboot, if the "invitations" (update notices) continue to pop up then you've probably been compromised.

Here's what I've managed to learn about this Java threat:

It appears to be directed only to Java version 7. So go here to find of what version you have: Verify Java Version

I did that and found out I don't have Java. I still don't know what it is or what it does, but if I don't have it and my computer is working just fine, what good is it? Can anyone tell me?

It appears to be directed only to Java version 7. So go here to find of what version you have: Verify Java Version

I did that and found out I don't have Java. I still don't know what it is or what it does, but if I don't have it and my computer is working just fine, what good is it? Can anyone tell me?

If you don't have other software that depends on having Java installed, then you don't need Java.

The only Java listed in my laptop's "Installed Programs" are two updates.

I guess it's for folks doing programming?
Only about .2% of the web sites us client java which runs on your computer. However since there are over 300 million web sites, if you disable java you might find some things that don't work. If you do you can always enable it.

Thanks to MMC over at Political Bullpen...
:cool:
How to Disable Java
January 11, 2013 - Java is a handy, cross-platform language that's been mightily abused by hackers. With the discovery of a new Java vulnerability that affects even the most up-to-date version, many experts advise everyone to simply disable Java. Here's how.
Java was once touted as the "write once, run anywhere" language. In theory, a single Java program could run on any Java-supporting platform. That dream never quite came to perfection, though, and these days Java is a favorite attack vector for hackers. The Flashback Trojan breached Macintosh computers via a Java vulnerability last year, for example. In August, researchers at FireEye reported another zero-day vulnerability in Java. The most recent Java vulnerability affects all versions of Java 7, including the most current version. Unless you absolutely need it, you should disable Java now. Fortunately, Oracle offers a Web page with straightforward instructions on how to turn off Java.

Disable Java in All Browsers

Last month Oracle released a new Java version, Update 10, that includes a one-stop option for disabling Java in all browsers in the Java Control Panel. Open Control Panel and launch the Java applet. If you don't see it, switch to Classic View (in XP) or small icons (in Vista or Windows 7). Click the Security tab. In previous versions this tab just allowed advanced users to manage Java-related certificates. It now displays a security-level slider and, more important, a single checkbox titled "Enable Java content in the browser." Un-check this box, click OK, and you're done.

Disable Java in One Browser

For security's sake you really should be using the very latest Java version. If you're not, or if you need to enable Java in some browsers but disable it in others, you can do that too.

Using Chrome? Enter chrome://plugins in the browser's address bar. Scroll down to Java and click the link to disable it. That was easy, and a bit simpler than Oracle's recommended steps. The process is similar in Opera, which Oracle's page doesn't mention. First, enter about:config in the address bar. Click the Java heading to expand that section, un-check the checkbox, and click the Save button. In Safari, choose Preferences, choose Security, and deselect Enable Java.

The only way to disable Java in Internet Explorer is through the Java Control Panel. Launch it as described above, click the Advanced tab and expand the item titled Default Java for browsers. Un-check the boxes for Microsoft Internet Explorer. You may need to click the item and press spacebar in order to clear the checkmarks.

Firefox users can click the Firefox button at the top (or click Tools in the top menu bar) and choose Add-ons from the resulting menu. On the Plugins tab, click the Disable button next to "Java(TM) Platform." You can also disable Java for all Mozilla family browsers by un-checking the Mozilla family box in the Java control panel.

Stay Updated

When writing this article, I had a hard time viewing the new feature that Oracle added in Update 10. Why? Because I had disabled Java and figured I didn't need to update it. That was lazy thinking; I've reformed. At any time you might find you need Java, perhaps for a Web meeting, or a remote-control tech support session. If you don't want to let Java update automatically, you can check for updates from the Java Control Panel at any time.

Whichever method you choose, visit the Java test page at How do I test whether Java is working on my computer? to confirm that Java is disabled. Yes, you'll occasionally run across a website that relies on Java. If necessary, you can temporarily enable Java for those sites. But you may be surprised at how little you miss it.

How to Disable Java | PCMag.com

Last edited:

If you don't have other software that depends on having Java installed, then you don't need Java.

You and your double fucking negatives...

I came over here to start a thread on this and see that there is an active one going,

I saw this the other day when the CS Monitor ran a piece and it was in our local paper this morning too. Apparently there is a vulnerability to malicious cyber crime/attacks that they can't patch and Homeland Security recommends we all disable our Java? Geez, how much stuff on your computer needs Java? Occasionally I get a popup message that such and such Java component is not available when I try to access something. All of Pogo games require Java to run and I'm sure a lot of other games do too.

How much of a threat is this and what should we expect if we get attacked? I don't know how to disable Java other than uninstall it.

Forum List

Back