Jane Fonda and An Example of Unintended Consequences

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    One would hope that people would learn, but they don't:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/m...r=permalink&exprod=permalink&pagewanted=print

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    K, this reminds me of how, during the Reagan years, liberals managed to knock out confinement of mentally ill folks. When they all ran loose, liberals then blamed Reagan for failing to deal with the homeless problem.

A big problem with liberalism is that it cannot accept a less-than-ideal situation without demanding that it be overhauled or tinkered with, EVEN IF THAT LEADS TO BIGGER PROBLEMS. In other words, they never have the maturity to say, well, this isn't perfect, but messing with it will cause even more problems, so let's just leave it alone. Another example: Yes, capitalism has problems. But communism is the cure that killed the patient.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Another example of a celebrity with an opinion being torn apart by an idiot without a thought of their own.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. There were many reasons for my divorce, all good. However, probably one of the most important was my mother-in-law's mental illness. She called her husband and son, my husband constantly at work. They were able to block her calls. I was not. There were days she called over 40 times. I'd try to talk her 'down', it would work, for minutes. Then she'd call again.

We tried to have her committed, but since she was ruled not dangerous to herself or others, no go. Then she tried to stab my father-in-law. Then they committed her for 72 hours, got her on meds, then released her. So it went, then she died.

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    No one can say exactly what would have happened if…
    If we had made more nuclear reactors we might have had cleaner and safer fuel.
    On the other hand, if we had made more nuclear reactors we might have had several nuclear accidents.

Here is an interesting informational article listing nuclear accidents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civilian_nuclear_accidents

6. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Admit it, you are nuts

7. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Nope. Just thoughtful and reasonable. Practically everyone else seems to be nuts and reactionary.

8. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    On the other hand, you are just everybody else?

Have an opinion, don't spout an idea and then devil it, bad form, no one knows where you stand except for me nutter.:razz:

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    In other words no major or critical accident has occurred in the US except in the 1950s at a small military site in Idaho? And further we have even more secure and protection systems today.

Remind me how many accidents have occurred in France and taren't they heavily into Nuclear power?

And K you missed the part where California has not built any new power plants in over 20 years. They had rolling ( may still) just a couple years ago because no one would sell them more energy, they tried to get the Feds to force people to sell them energy and they have also tried to steal water from neighboring States. Remind who runs that State.

10. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I think RetiredthickGysgt you are forgetting you are supposed to be the united states.:D