James Webb launch imminent ....let's talk

As I understand it, scientists currently believe that, given the properties of the universe prior to the decodupling event (when the inflation began, and the first light was able to travel through a formerly opaque universe), we cannot see anything that happened more than 1E-33 seconds before this event. All prior information would be forever hidden from us.
Sure that makes perfect sense since we depend on light as both illuminator and permanent historian.... without light there's nothing to see so anything that happened prior to light is gone forever. Redefining time in terms of our finite motion measurements leaves us more or less in the lurch when it comes to examining micro-spans such as the one you're speaking of. A comparative eternity of events and an entire universe of compact space all beyond our ability either to see our examine it. Wonderful stuff really.

But isn't there still a rapid expansionary period? I get confused a little, when these scientific articles refer to the "big bang". Sometimes they seem to be implying the whole package, including a singularity. But Big bang theory in reality has pretty much been reduced to a description of the rapid inflation. So brane theory would not totally undermine the big bang science we have.

No?
The site says,
According to Steinhardt, the ekpyrotic theory does everything that Big Bang plus inflation accomplishes. “It’s just that we happened to discover one theory first—20 years ago,” he says.
“What [the ekpyrotic theory] has going for it is a much closer relationship to string theory than any formulation we currently have of inflation,” says Guth. ...
Nonetheless, “I’m still somewhat skeptical about the whole thing,”

It would require a life time of study to have an opinion on it. My understanding is that certain 6-D (Calabi Yao) geometries may have the right structure to embody the particle physics, but there are many thousands of possibilities to sort through.

The site says,
According to Steinhardt, the ekpyrotic theory does everything that Big Bang plus inflation accomplishes. “It’s just that we happened to discover one theory first—20 years ago,” he says.
“What [the ekpyrotic theory] has going for it is a much closer relationship to string theory than any formulation we currently have of inflation,” says Guth. ...

It would require a life time of study to have an opinion on it. My understanding is that certain 6-D (Calabi Yao) geometries may have the right structure to embody the particle physics, but there are many thousands of possibilities to sort through.

It strikes me as poetically stunning that we stare out into the vast cosmos and not only are we dwarfed by its size and power we are also mentally and intellectually dwarfed by the infinite number of unknowns that we ponder when we look into and at it! Indeed it is in and of itself its own virtual black hole is it not?

The next two years following the launch of the JWST are going to be filled with absolutely fabulous moments of discovery. Frankly I'm am deeply grateful to be alive for this!

Perhaps our greatest adventures lie ahead !

We are going to see further back. Maybe see the very first galaxies. But we can keep upgrading, and all we will see is further and further back, until we are looking at barely perceptible dust, redshirfted to the extreme. From our theoretical work, it seems likely that our spacetime is boundless, to observers within it. So there is no "beginning" for us to see.
Greetings!

What will you be focused on in the first six months of the Webb deployment? Any particular item if interest?

Jo

The site says,

Hello;

What will you be focused on in the first six months of the Webb deployment? Any particular item if interest?

Jo

Hello;

Jo

I was amazed when Hubble pointed at a blank spot in the sky for an equivalent of 23 days and found a plethora of very distant galaxies. They are in the visible range. If the Webb did the same it could look into a much deeper red-shifted area. It will be very interesting to see what comes up. If you haven't seen the Hubble image before, expand it in a new window or tab. It's 2382 × 2078 and is mind boggling.

xdf_full.jpg

I was amazed when Hubble pointed at a blank spot in the sky for an equivalent of 23 days and found a plethora of very distant galaxies. They are in the visible range. If the Webb did the same it could look into a much deeper red-shifted area. It will be very interesting to see what comes up. If you haven't seen the Hubble image before, expand it in a new window or tab. It's 2382 × 2078 and is mind boggling.

xdf_full.jpg
Wow... Yes I was vaguely familiar with that particular event but not in any great detail. It would appear that there really is no area of the sky that is not hiding some distant world or Galaxy.

I'm almost terrified that the new telescope will discover that there are indeed no boundaries and the only thing preventing us from seeing further is just the vast distance itself. Then again I'm not sure how I would feel about discovery of real, hard boundaries either.

Pins and needles start here!

Jo

Old galaxies
Yes indeed..... I wonder if we will be able to actually watch the launch....
So following up on one of your prior posts.... the formation of galaxies....
Yes I expect that will probably be a top priority with the initial observations.

Myself....though I more or less have settled on the idea that space time has no limits of any kind.... wondering about the
universal limits....is there a great wall out there after which there is nothing? If not then where?

JO

xdf_full.jpg

Implications of this are hard to overemphasize....
I only recently became aware of this program and all of the setbacks it has suffered. When it launches, a LOT of people are going to be crapping bricks until it's safely on its way and the systems have been proven to work. It's supposed to be 1 million miles from earth when it goes live and begins to send back data? If all goes as planned, the human race is about to truly get a glimpse of the "beginning" of our universe.

It's hard to believe I posted this over a year ago.
The upcoming launch of the James Webb Deep space Observatory October 31, 2020

So I say once again this is arguably the most important event in human history.
What are the implications of being able to see back to the beginning? With the recent changes in position on the Big bang theory and new indications that there is no such thing as dark matter.. what would we be looking for with James Webb's new 100 times more powerful gaze into the vast reaches of the past?

Jo

Jo
Attention web space telescope fans if you use a Roku on your television or the Roku system built into a TV you can pick up the NASA app and watch the launch coming up in December. I strongly encourage everyone who has any interest in the future of humanity to be present for this launch. Get the family around the TV for this one get your kids interested in astronomy, astrophysics and planet hunting it's a perfect pastime for kids growing up to introduce them to all the various branches of science needed to be successful in life in general.

Children naturally gravitate towards the starry sky at night take advantage of this!

It's hard to believe I posted this over a year ago.
The upcoming launch of the James Webb Deep space Observatory October 31, 2020

So I say once again this is arguably the most important event in human history.
What are the implications of being able to see back to the beginning? With the recent changes in position on the Big bang theory and new indications that there is no such thing as dark matter.. what would we be looking for with James Webb's new 100 times more powerful gaze into the vast reaches of the past?

Jo

Jo
That space telescope has been mothballed, ad infinitum.

Forum List

Back