James Dobson...Foot in mouth disease.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bullypulpit, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    In this weeks issue of <a href=http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1568485,00.html>TIME</a>, Dr. James Dobson put his foot in his mouth and is now choking on it.

He wrote a guest editorial entitled, <i><b>Two Mommies Is One Too Many</b></i>, in which he castigates Mary Cheney and her partner for getting preggers. Now this issue is already being discussed <a href=http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45317>HERE</a>, but that's not what I'm discussing here.

What I am discussing is the reaction of the academics he quoted in his screed. Dr Kyle Pruett, M.D. of the Yale School of Medicine and Carol Gilligan, PhD were both highly incensed by Dobson's "cherry-picking" of their work. THey were so incensed that they both wrote letters to Dr. Dobson expressing their dismay.

<blockquote>Dr. Dobson, I was startled and disappointed to see my work referenced in the current Time Magazine piece in which you opined that social science, such as mine, supports your convictions opposing lesbian and gay parenthood. I write now to insist that you not quote from my research in your media campaigns, personal or corporate, without previously securing my permission. You cherry-picked a phrase to shore up highly (in my view) discriminatory purposes. <i><b>This practice is condemned in real science, common though it may be in pseudo-science circles.</b></i> There is nothing in my longitudinal research or any of my writings to support such conclusions. On page 134 of the book you cite in your piece, I wrote, "What we do know is that there is no reason for concern about the development or psychological competence of children living with gay fathers. It is love that binds relationships, not sex."

Kyle Pruett, M.D.
    Yale School of Medicine (<i>emphasis mine</i>)</blockquote>

Pseudo-science...This is at the heart of Dr. Dobson's social and psychological ruminations, as it of many of the arguments put fort by fundie apologists on issues from biology to zoology.

<blockquote>Dear Dr. Dobson:

I am writing to ask that you cease and desist from quoting my research in the future. I was mortified to learn that you had distorted my work this week in a guest column you wrote in Time Magazine. Not only did you take my research out of context, you did so without my knowledge to support discriminatory goals that I do not agree with. What you wrote was not truthful and I ask that you refrain from ever quoting me again and that you apologize for twisting my work.

From what I understand, this is not the first time you have manipulated research in pursuit of your goals. This practice is not in the best interest of scientific inquiry, nor does bearing false witness serve your purpose of furthering morality and strengthening the family.

Finally, there is nothing in my research that would lead you to draw the stated conclusions you did in the Time article. My work in no way suggests same-gender families are harmful to children or can&#8217;t raise these children to be as healthy and well adjusted as those brought up in traditional households.

I trust that this will be the last time my work is cited by Focus on the Family.

Sincerely,

Carol Gilligan, PhD
    New York University, Professor</blockquote>

It is also worth noting that neither Dr. Pruett's nor Professor Gilligan's research have found any indication that same gender parents are in any way, detrimental to the development of their children. Dr. Dobson merely cited the works of these individuals in an attempt to lend credence to his own prejudices, and those of his adherents.

From my own experience, the children of same gender couples are as well balanced as their peers raised in traditional families. Any harm caused is a result of the bigotry and intolerance of those like Dr. Dobson (a doctor in name only), and his fellow travelers.

2. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Not attempting to discount all of your post here, but Dr. James Clayton Dobson is a Ph.D. in Psychology... in fact in Child Development from the University of Southern California. That isn't "in name only" as you suggest above. He is just as much a Doctor as those he misquoted...

It hurts your own cause to allow your personal prejudice to enter a "in name only" judgement that is simply untrue. You post would have more impact without the, simply incorrect, personal judgement...

My question for these two doctors would be whether they were the only two that he quoted, and if not where are the other doctors who are upset over incorrect usage of information?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I'm well aware of his credentials. He has simply strayed so far from the fundamental premises of the Hippocratic oath as to render it meaningless.

As for judging, I have never been a great advocate of the notion, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Judge, and prepare to be judged.

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Well, Ph.D's do not take a Hippocratic Oath. That is for medical doctors, most of which don't take it anyway as it would forbid them to perform an abortion...

"In name only" implies that he was given one of those "honorable" Doctrates rather than earned it just like the two who complained. As for my question, I notice you didn't answer. Were these the only two he quoted or were they the only two who complained?

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Interesting - Regardless if Dobson took comments out of context, Dobson is showing LOVE for children by his position. I'd rather the child mis-carry than grow up screwed in the head because of his/her "Parents" mental illness.

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Misquotes or not, I tend to agree with his conclusion. This is more of a toe-in-mouth moment than full fledged athlete's tongue.

7. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Homosexuality is not a mental illness. It was removed from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual more than 30 years ago. Get over it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Tell me, can you cite just one peer reviewed article regarding his religiously based psychological theories?

His more than casual flirtation, more like a torrid affair, with religiously based pseudo-scientific clap-trap renders his credibility questionable, at best. So, regardless of his credentials, his pronouncements must be regarded more as religious dogma than scientific fact.

And, to answer your question, Dr. Pruett and Professor Gilligan were the only two authors cited in his editorial. But you would have known that if you had followed the link.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Where ya getting that little nugget from? :eusa_doh:

10. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,805
    It was written in a spiritual manual several thousand years ago that homosexuality is a sin.
    Get over it.