Ivory Coast conflict may raise chocolate prices

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Shadow, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    (CBS/AP) Hundreds have died in the battle over the disputed presidency in the Ivory Coast that is increasingly starting to resemble a civil war.

Yet the three-month-old conflict has not resonated on the world stage like the more recent uprisings in Libya and Egypt. Now that world chocolate prices might be affected by it, that could change.

Ivory Coast conflict may raise chocolate prices - World Watch - CBS News

2. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have to admit, I thought it was crazy that their is a war that is affecting the flow of chocolate lol. I guess this could cause a major issue for many, I think I'd be ok even if chocolate disappeared, might affect me some, but doubtful it'd affect me a lot.

My only effect from this is Willy Wonka needs chocolate for his factory.

3. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    It's an interesting article. I guess the coffee and cocoa trade is very lucrative there,I didn't realize this. The Ivory Coast produces 40 percent of the world's cocoa, more than any other country.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,893
    hell it just gets worse....

we ...as in the world could run out of chocolate by 2014....damn

now i can see bombing someone for this

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I'm informed that 30% of the world's chocolate production is done by child slave labor in the Ivory Coast.

Hershey's claims that they know their cocoa does not come from child labor, but if that stat is right, it seems likely that we have all enjoyed the sweet taste of CHILD SLAVERY at least occassionally.

FYI, I am informed that coffee is the world's largest single trade item, surpassing even petroleum (that I find somewhat incredible, too)

6. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    Me too bones...we better stock up :)

7. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    I was reading an article that says that about 30% of the children under the age of 15 in west Africa are child laborers. This apparently effects all areas of the agriculture (not just the cocoa industry) since it's their biggest resource.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I don't doubt that.

However it is my understanding that the COCOA industry children laborers aren't merely workers, they're SLAVES,

Bought and sold like animals, they are chained to the task, and treated as CHATTLE.

This sad fact isn't exactly a secret.

http://www1.american.edu/ted/chocolate-slave.htm

Child slavery in the cocao plantations is a well understood fact of the industry. Some chocolateers even bother to note that their cocoa sources are certified as NOT coming from slave labor.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  9. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    Sad that poverty breeds child labor and creates the scene for greedy and corrupt overseers to take advantage.

I did learn something else I didn't know. The industry apparently only has two main distributors, the Chocolate Manufacturers Association and the National Confectioners Association. Apparently they have been putting regulations in place to curb some of this. Too bad the government in that area is so corrupt.

10. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    Another related article about the Civil War in Ivory Coast...

Aid group: Women and children casualties in Ivory Coast market attack

(CNN) -- At least 25 people were killed in what the United Nations called Friday a shocking escalation of violence in Ivory Coast, wracked by an electoral crisis that many fear is sliding toward another civil war.

Doctors Without Borders treated 66 people with gunshot wounds and injuries caused by shell explosions in the wake of the attacks, according to a news release from the medical aid group. Women and children were among those injured, the statement said.

France, Ivory Coast's former colonial ruler, condemned Thursday's "deliberate massacre of civilians" and called on the U.N. Security Council to adopt sanctions against self-declared President Laurent Gbagbo and his circle, said Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero.

Aid group: Women and children casualties in Ivory Coast market attack - CNN.com