I've finally come around to thinking the fillibuster just needs to be nuked. Not happy about that, since imo Goldwater and JFK were the highpoint

The filibuster has been used by the Dims for as long as that party has existed (including to keep Jim Crow laws on the books and block civil rights legislation)...

How does it feel to have your actions come back and bite you in the ass????
The Dixiecrats used the filibuster to keep the Jim Crow era laws and your republic party used it to fight civil rights legislation.

Currently, the Conservative party of dumb uses it to oppose all legislation.

That is not it’s intended use. Also, it’s quite telling the senator mcturtle is threatening to burn down all of America over the ability of the filibuster to stop legislation instead reaching out one bit on participating the legislative process.
But they failed. I don't see any defections from today's gop. That's the point. And I don't think the dems will ever be reasonable again, and they were when W was president even in leading up to the Iraq war.
Fact check: Democrats hold Senate filibuster record, 75 days in 1964 (usatoday.com)

No goper is willing to work with Biden to make an dem immigration bill acceptable to 60

And I don't see any reason to think the dems will be willing to help the next gop president govern.

"see any defections"?

Good job at throwing your political bias out there. Does participating in the legislative process meaning one side gets 100% and the other receives 0%.

You realize that all those (almost 60 year ago Dixiecrats) Democratic pols in 1964 either retired after the 1964 Civil Rights bill passed into law or became republic pols.
what bias is that? Lol. I clearly said neither party would seek a bipartisan resolution in the future. Which was the point of the the thread. But thanks for playing.

For what it's worth, I don't think Biden's progressive agenda is really what benefits me. But elections have consequences. (-:

No you posted, "I don't see any defections from today's gop" and "I don't think the dems will ever be reasonable again". Those are clearly showing a bias because the gop will hold together in the face of Democratic unreasonableness.

Just last year senator rand paul used the filibuster to oppose an anti-lynching bill.
Because, shit for brains trumpanzee, the dems didn't fillibuster Trump. They didn't need to because Trump couldn't get FIFTY ONE REPUBLICANS EVEN WHEN HE HELD THE SENATE. AND THANKS FOR PLAYING.

But when a goper is next elected president, I'd expect the dems to fillibuster him/her to death.
You lie, of course. As usual.
Democrats hate filibuster now but used it to block GOP legislation under Trump | Fox News

of American politics in the post WWII era, when two people with diametrically opposing views of what govt should be, and what the const should allow, could civilly discuss and look for common ground. But today we have a bloody debacle on the border. Not as bad as the gop claims, and certainly not what Trump did, thank God. (anyone heard from Kristen Neilson lately? lol)

But the dems ideology really prevents them from making the hard decisions. Instead of seeing an opportunity to make the country better, McConnell looks for political advantage. And the dems probably will be no better post-Dump.

So what's the point of looking for consensus. Let Americans legally elect their govt (without a coup or insurrection), and we can vote on the consequences every 2-4 years.

GOP looks to squeeze Biden, Democrats on border | TheHill
Killing the filibuster will be one more feather on the camel's back of Texas seceding.

I think it's part of the plan by foreign powers. They want the U.S. to go away. What better way to do it than rid the U.S. of the world's 10th largest economy?

Democrats seem to be helping the process right along, as if they are domestic agents of foreign powers.
Good luck with that.
Luck is not a factor.

of American politics in the post WWII era, when two people with diametrically opposing views of what govt should be, and what the const should allow, could civilly discuss and look for common ground. But today we have a bloody debacle on the border. Not as bad as the gop claims, and certainly not what Trump did, thank God. (anyone heard from Kristen Neilson lately? lol)

But the dems ideology really prevents them from making the hard decisions. Instead of seeing an opportunity to make the country better, McConnell looks for political advantage. And the dems probably will be no better post-Dump.

So what's the point of looking for consensus. Let Americans legally elect their govt (without a coup or insurrection), and we can vote on the consequences every 2-4 years.

So poverty will be eliminated almost immediately after the filibuster ends. It did not end after spending tens of trillions of dollars on it and even more. It enriched a lot of people with government contracts and government employees though with many corrupted citizens in those communities making out like bandits. There are no miracles without hard work.

The filibuster has been used by the Dims for as long as that party has existed (including to keep Jim Crow laws on the books and block civil rights legislation)...

The Dixiecrats used the filibuster to keep the Jim Crow era laws and your republic party used it to fight civil rights legislation.

That is not it’s intended use. Also, it’s quite telling the senator mcturtle is threatening to burn down all of America over the ability of the filibuster to stop legislation instead reaching out one bit on participating the legislative process.
But they failed. I don't see any defections from today's gop. That's the point. And I don't think the dems will ever be reasonable again, and they were when W was president even in leading up to the Iraq war.
Fact check: Democrats hold Senate filibuster record, 75 days in 1964 (usatoday.com)

No goper is willing to work with Biden to make an dem immigration bill acceptable to 60

And I don't see any reason to think the dems will be willing to help the next gop president govern.

"see any defections"?

Good job at throwing your political bias out there. Does participating in the legislative process meaning one side gets 100% and the other receives 0%.

You realize that all those (almost 60 year ago Dixiecrats) Democratic pols in 1964 either retired after the 1964 Civil Rights bill passed into law or became republic pols.
what bias is that? Lol. I clearly said neither party would seek a bipartisan resolution in the future. Which was the point of the the thread. But thanks for playing.

For what it's worth, I don't think Biden's progressive agenda is really what benefits me. But elections have consequences. (-:

No you posted, "I don't see any defections from today's gop" and "I don't think the dems will ever be reasonable again". Those are clearly showing a bias because the gop will hold together in the face of Democratic unreasonableness.

Just last year senator rand paul used the filibuster to oppose an anti-lynching bill.
Because, shit for brains trumpanzee, the dems didn't fillibuster Trump. They didn't need to because Trump couldn't get FIFTY ONE REPUBLICANS EVEN WHEN HE HELD THE SENATE. AND THANKS FOR PLAYING.

But when a goper is next elected president, I'd expect the dems to fillibuster him/her to death.

So, the Democrats didn't filibuster the former president the same way republic did Clinton and Obama. If the former president couldn't even sell his bills to his side way would anyone expect Democrats too. The Democrats have show far more willingness to work with republic pols, but that is just a one way relationship.

Just stop carrying water for the gop.

"see any defections"?

Democrats hate filibuster now but used it to block GOP legislation under Trump | Fox News
Show me where I lied.

Or is this just you and a strawman...

"see any defections"?

Hmm. Well the dems didn't have to filibuster repealing Obamacare or funding the wall. But thanks. You didn't have to use the "lie," though, asshole.

I don't think the maj party has any motive to compromise on legislation they really want (and McConnell apparantly didn't want the shit you linked) other than they know that with any buy in by the other party will make repealing their legislation harder.

"see any defections"?

Show me where I lied.

Or is this just you and a strawman...
Are you bendog? Dumbfuck

So poverty will be eliminated almost immediately after the filibuster ends. It did not end after spending tens of trillions of dollars on it and even more. It enriched a lot of people with government contracts and government employees though with many corrupted citizens in those communities making out like bandits. There are no miracles without hard work.
Where in the fuck does "poverty will be eliminated" come from?

Well, besides your ass.

"see any defections"?

So, the Democrats didn't filibuster the former president the same way republic did Clinton and Obama. If the former president couldn't even sell his bills to his side way would anyone expect Democrats too. The Democrats have show far more willingness to work with republic pols, but that is just a one way relationship.

Just stop carrying water for the gop.
I just think times have changed. And not just because of Trump.

The dems are constrained by their own members. A few will only vote to enact legislation with 50 plus Harris if the GOP shows it will not compromise on an issue they believe they have a mandate to move.

Voting rights may be the issue that cuts to the chase. Republicans know that more dem voters than gopers cannot vote during working hours. Machin raised that issue in his call for some bipartisan movement. Republicans believe the feds should leave the states to govern their own elections. Ballot security can probably be negotiated. But if the gop is adament about allowing states to just shut out minority working class dems .... then Manchin and any other moderate may agree to just blow it up. Federalism is not about letting states discriminate against a minority.

What does poverty have to do with this? Or are you just saying the dems should not have passed their progressive "covid relief" bill? I don't really like the bill, but whether I like, or don't like, particular legislation is irrelevant. That's the point. You apparanlty don't like the bill. Fine. But it passed in reconcillaiton, which has nothing to do with filibuster.

I've finally come around to thinking the fillibuster just needs to be nuked. Not happy about that, since imo Goldwater and JFK were the highpoint

Goldwater fucking sucked.

I suspect the left would not have had this revelation about the filibuster needing to be done away with if Trump and the Republicans had been talking about it when they were the majority. Ending the filibuster takes away any power the minority has and the majority party can pass pretty much anything it wants with no opposition. That is also known as one party rule or a dictatorship and historically those never ended well.

Go away. No one wants to help you with your Vodoo Agenda.

You're a dumbass. In reality the Dixiecrat party only existed for less than a year back in the 1948. So fuck off, you piece of shit.

The Jim Cow laws were enacted exclusively by the Democratic party.

You're a typical SADFI.

Goldwater fucking sucked.

That is silly.
While Goldwater was a bit of an extremists and I disagreed with him on just about everything, he was an intelligent and educated person with good intentions.
It would make yourself look a lot better if you looked up a particular stand he took and say that "sucked" instead of a generalization without any proof, that then has no value.

You're a dumbass. In reality the Dixiecrat party only existed for less than a year back in the 1948. So fuck off, you piece of shit.

You're a typical SADFI.

Not sure, but then how did the US military and federal offices become segregated?

You're a typical SADFI.
You better brush up on your history before you post.

It just makes you look stupid if you don’t

The filibuster is form of obstruction. The minority party promulgates its necessity while the majority party lambasts it when used.

If the parties were capable of compromise more legislation could come to fruition. As it stands now, caviling is the norm and the party that wins a majority in the Senate keeps getting its hands tied by a parliamentary maneuver.

If elections are supposed to have consequences then the filibuster should be eliminated.

jmo

Forum List

Back