It's the economy...Stupid!

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<h2><a href=http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df01132004.html>Bush Twice Tries to Mislead America About the Economy in 24 Hours</a></h2>

<i>Within a span of 24 hours, President Bush twice attempted to mislead the American people about the economy and his tax policies. On Friday, the president said, "Unemployment dropped today to 5.7% [which] is a positive sign that the economy is getting better."1

But the president didn't add that the unemployment drop occurred not because the economy was getting better, but because continued weak job growth led 309,000 people to stop looking for work.2 As one nonpartisan economist said, "Most of these dropouts would still be in the labor force working or trying to work if the economy were doing better," The president made no mention that only 1,000 total jobs were created in December - a "shockingly low number," where most economists had expected job growth to be around 100,000 to 150,000 for the month.3 33 months after the beginning of the recession, this recovery is distinguished from all previous cycles of job contraction and resumed growth since 1939, according to the Economic Policy Institute, for not having fully recovered job levels to those above the pre-recessionary peak within 31 months from its start.

The following day, the president touted the same economic policies that helped create the unemployment crisis. Despite the bad economic news, he said, "Tax relief has got this economy going again," and bragged, "every American who pays income taxes got a tax cut."4 His use of the phrase "income tax," however, was tailored to divert attention from the millions of low-income American taxpayers (who pay payroll tax but not income tax) who received nothing. Bush's 2001 tax cut completely excluded 31% of all families in America.5 Similarly, Bush's 2003 tax cut completely excluded 31% of all taxpayers6 - including one million children of military families.7</i>

Sources:

1. President Speaks with Women Small Business Owners on the Economy, 01/09/2004.
2. "Falling jobless figure deceptive", Baltimore Sun, 01/10/2004.
3. "Changes in U.S. work force make accurate data elusive", International Herald Tribune, 01/13/2004.
4. President's Radio Address, 01/10/2004.
5. Bush Tax Plan Offers No Benefits to One in Three Families, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 02/07/2001.
6. Bush 2003 Tax Plan a Big Fat Zero for a Third of Nation’s Taxpayers Percentages with no tax cut are much higher in poorer states, Citizens for Tax Justice, 01/27/2003.
7. One Million Military Children Left Behind by Massive New Tax Package, Children's Defense Fund, 06/06/2003.

Howdy's on a roll...Two lies in 24 hours.

What happened to the 309,000 people? Did they just opt not to work, and decide to go ahead and retire prematurely on their trust funds, or are they starving to death as we speak?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
what would that matter?

I would tend to agree with you, but just for argument's sake.....

I thought we could you know, have a discussion. Isn't this a bbs system?

What happened to the 309,000 people?, or is this question considered "hate speech"?

is this question considered "hate speech"?

don't see how it could be.

What happened to the 309,000 people?

dropped out of the job market. Could be many things, some among them being moved in with parents, moved under the town bridge, or moved to the edge of town to hunt rabbits and grow beans.

don't see how it could be.

dropped out of the job market. Could be many things, some among them being moved in with parents, moved under the town bridge, or moved to the edge of town to hunt rabbits and grow beans.

Exactly, but this screed only entertains a single politically driven interpretation. Thanks for playing, DK.:clap1:

do you seriously expect anyone to believe that 309,000 people won the lottery or were granted trust funds at the age of 21?

I don't know what your point is supposed to be but you don't make it very clear.

bottom line, the unemployment rate did not improve because more people found jobs and THATS what the issue was about.

do you seriously expect anyone to believe that 309,000 people won the lottery or were granted trust funds at the age of 21?

I don't know what your point is supposed to be but you don't make it very clear.

bottom line, the unemployment rate did not improve because more people found jobs and THATS what the issue was about.

We don't know why, exactly. Why assume the worst? Nevermind.:rolleyes:

Maybe more people became self employed and aren't working on a w2 basis.

I think something of that nature would have CERTAINLY been touted by the administration, unless (gasp) those 309,000 LIED to make the presidents policies look bad.

I think something of that nature would have CERTAINLY been touted by the administration, unless (gasp) those 309,000 LIED to make the presidents policies look bad.

:thup:

You're coming along nicely!!

Forum List

Back