It's the consequences...Dammit!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bullypulpit, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    It's the consequences of our actions...Here and now...In this world, and to this human life that determine whether an action is right or wrong.

Any action leading to the harm of one's self, to others or to both is not to be undertaken. Unfortunately, we're mostly of the mind that so long as it doesn't hurt me, everyone else can go to hell. And that attitude is the road to hell on earth.

We don't need the threat of a hell or the promise of a heaven to be good and moral people. We simply need to understand that in order to live a good life we must make this life in this world the measure against which the consequences of our morals and values are weighed. If it is hamful...It is to be discarded. We don't need to worry about all of the metaphysical claptrap surrounding the idea of rewards and punishments in some mythical afterlife. Understand the consequences of our actions here and now, and there is no need to worry about an afterlife...It'll sort itself out.

2. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    k....

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A man denying his God.

4. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You must be a fan of some sort of afterlife since you have the number of the anti Christ on George Bush's head.

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I believe a society which is focused on maintaining free markets and protecting individual rights WILL lead to the greatest happiness here on earth, in this life, irrespective of metaphysical bullshit. Bully, your leftist utopias always end in horrifying oppression and total stagnation. Screw Liberalism, it ain't superior.

6. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Utopias, in general, lead to stagnation and oppression. Doesn't matter if it's the Left or Right. But if the maintenace of free markets and individual rights come at the expense of the welfare and rights of others, is it moral and just?...Or does the worn out ideal of "the greatest good for the greatest number" outweigh the greatest good for all?

The pipedream of unregulated free markets presupposes a rational society...And that is something we just don't have.

7. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    And which god might that be?

8. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Satire does not imply the belief in an afterlife.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Mocking a man and his religion and the religion of most people on here is really cool.

I would fight to the death to defend your right to blaspheme the president defending your right to blaspheme him.

Bottom Line: Of course you have a right to put up a pic of the president with mark of satan on him, but does it make you a nice person? No, it makes you a dick.

10. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I agree that there doesn't have to be a belief in an afterlife to be moral.

That's not to say that I disparage one's belief in it though. If that's what someone believes well, more power to them and I hope it brings them the comfort they seek.

I also disagree with your definition of morality...sometimes harm to others is necessary.

If you truly believed in your own definition of morality you would not have posted what you did. Perhaps calling someone's faith "BS" isn't the most moral thing to do, you know?