It's official, I absolutely HATE houses built in the late 1800's

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
We took on a home remodel is one of Kansas Citys historical districts and it is a nightmare.

What were supposedly updated plaster & lathe walls turned out to be inch & a half solid concrete in chicken wire. The wiring & plumbing are all original.

Seriously regretting getting this bid & we just started.

We took on a home remodel is one of Kansas Citys historical districts and it is a nightmare.

What were supposedly updated plaster & lathe walls turned out to be inch & a half solid concrete in chicken wire. The wiring & plumbing are all original.

Seriously regretting getting this bid & we just started.

Concrete and chicken wire is not Victorian construction.

The big problem with restoration/renovation on houses that old is trying to create plumb and level work. Other than that, the houses are usually incredibly well-built.

And you need to tell the homeowner that their info was wrong and your initial bid is invalid.

• Banned
I think some restoration was done at some point as a result of flood damage. Above 4 feet is traditional construction. Below is solid concrete.

• Banned
Yup. It's got some nobb & tube wiring so I know someone updated it (nearly 100 years ago lol)

It's already a beautiful home but they wanted to update parts of it.

This part of KC was prone to frequent floods until major reconstruction was done to the drainage & natural waterways a few decades ago. It still floods on occasion but no where near as bad or often as it used to.

Normally I prefer to do the electrical & plumbing myself but I think I may end up deferring to dedicated pros of the field on this one.

Forum List

Back