It's not all about baking cakes...

Everyone here knows I believe same sex marriages should receive the exact same government cash and prizes straight marriages do.

I also believe in the separation of church and state. Most people can see the hazard of religion in government, but not many people realize the danger of government in religion.

This gay schoolteacher is a case in point. By allowing the government into their religious institution in the form of accepting government money, the faith-based school has no legal standing to boot the teacher whose lifestyle is in direct conflict with their religion.

Once again, Alexis de Tocqueville nailed it. And when you read the below passage, you will find it could have been written today instead of 180 years ago if you substitute "America" for "Europe":

"The unbelievers of Europe attack the Christians as their political opponents rather than as their religious adversaries; they hate the Christian religion as the opinion of a party much more than as an error of belief; and they reject the clergy less because they are the representatives of the Deity than because they are the allies of government.

"In Europe, Christianity has been intimately united to the powers of the earth. Those powers are now in decay, and it is, as it were, buried under their ruins. The living body of religion has been bound down to the dead corpse of superannuated polity; cut but the bonds that restrain it, and it will rise once more. I do not know what could restore the Christian church of Europe to the energy of its earlier days; that power belongs to God alone; but it may be for human policy to leave to faith the full exercise of the strength which it still retains."

Tocqueville Book I Chapter 17

Everyone here knows I believe same sex marriages should receive the exact same government cash and prizes straight marriages do.

I also believe in the separation of church and state. Most people can see the hazard of religion in government, but not many people realize the danger of government in religion.

This gay schoolteacher is a case in point. By allowing the government into their religious institution in the form of accepting government money, the faith-based school has no legal standing to boot the teacher whose lifestyle is in direct conflict with their religion.

I think they might if they legitimately and openly taught kids a moral code based upon a legitimate religious doctrine ... like say the Catholics ... and they had a clause in employment contracts saying that openly personal behavior contrary t o the doctrine would be grounds to terminate.

But, then you get into huge non-profit hospitals run by the Baptists or Catholics. Say you got a nurse or doc in a SSM. It's gonna be difficult to tell a court why you need to fire them, when their SSM doesn't have anything to do with their job efficiency.

Wasn't it the latest complaint from the Right that now
WillHaftawaite

Uh, you DO know that's a satire site, right?

RWs will believe anything.

:uhoh3:

As your hero, Homer, would say, "DOH"

and it points out how ridiculous the whole lawsuit was.

Lady got fired from her teaching job?

happens all the time when people violate their contract.

Didn't read the article, did you.

Its the school that broke the law:

“I actually had a conversation with the principal a few weeks after I was hired, to say, ‘How should I handle this,’” Winters said.

“So that’s what I’ve done,” she said. “I’ve never been open. And that’s been hard.”

Lower Merion township, where the school is located, has an anti-discrimination ordinance that protects employees from being fired for, among other reasons, sexual orientation. The ordinance carves out exemptions for religious institutions – unless those institutions are supported “in whole or in part by governmental appropriations”.

The Inquirer noted that over the past two years, Waldron Mercy Academy has received $270,000 from a statewide tax credit program.

Also in your link: "Winters was reportedly fired after parents discovered she was married to a woman. One parent complained to the school and another to the archdiocese of Philadelphia. The archdiocese has said it had nothing to do with Winters’ dismissal."

Was there a provision in her contract that would make her marriage cause for dismissal?

Was she, in fact, fired because of the marriage, of did they find another reason that DID violate her contract, and she is blaming her dismissal on her marriage?

ie she was required to grow roses in her classroom, and she grew violets instead?

If they can prove they DIDN'T fire her because of her marriage, but for some other violation

They always say they fired the gay for some 'other' reason.

an employer should be able to fire an employee for any reason, or no reason.

So you should be able to fire a woman employee if she won't have sex with you.

You are a perfect example of modern American conservatism.

Read the article.

• The school knew she was gay and planned to marry.
  • The school broke the law.

Forum List

Back