It's Happening Again

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Has been for at least the past 10 years, gaining rapidly in the past 5. Once again, there are call outs, like this article, yet it seems that the momentum is building, not lessening.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_4_anti-semitism.html

Britain’s Anti-Semitic Turn
Melanie Phillips

A new manifestation of the oldest hatred demonizes the Jewish state.

Anti-Semitism is rife within Britain’s Muslim community. Islamic bookshops sell copies of Hitler’s Mein Kampf and the notorious czarist forgery The Protocols of the Elders of Zion; as an undercover TV documentary revealed in January, imams routinely preach anti-Jewish sermons. Opinion polls show that nearly two-fifths of Britain’s Muslims believe that the Jewish community in Britain is a legitimate target “as part of the ongoing struggle for justice in the Middle East”; that more than half believe that British Jews have “too much influence over the direction of UK foreign policy”; and that no fewer than 46 percent think that the Jewish community is “in league with Freemasons to control the media and politics.”

But anti-Semitism has also become respectable in mainstream British society. “Anti-Jewish themes and remarks are gaining acceptability in some quarters in public and private discourse in Britain and there is a danger that this trend will become more and more mainstream,” reported a Parliamentary inquiry last year. “It is this phenomenon that has contributed to an atmosphere where Jews have become more anxious and more vulnerable to abuse and attack than at any other time for a generation or longer.”

At the heart of this ugly development is a new variety of anti-Semitism, aimed primarily not at the Jewish religion, and not at a purported Jewish race, but at the Jewish state. Zionism is now a dirty word in Britain, and opposition to Israel has become a fig leaf for a resurgence of the oldest hatred.

Anti-Semitism has continually changed its shape over the centuries.

Britain has 'less of a problem' with this than France, Denmark, and Belgium. I suppose that counts as 'positive news'?

Just so you know that I recognise this has lain here for a few days with no response and just so you know I am your only true friend here, I thought I would help the thread aong and respond anyway.

Just so you know that I recognise this has lain here for a few days with no response and just so you know I am your only true friend here, I thought I would help the thread aong and respond anyway.

Just thought I'd help it along as well.

As a member of "British mainstream society", I have not really heard any anti-semitic sentiments from anyone I know since my teens (a good many years ago).

Anti semitism doesn't exist here at least as far as I know, anti muslim sentiment however is rife and building.

Anti semitism doesn't exist here at least as far as I know, anti muslim sentiment however is rife and building.

and that in fact, was the main point,
Anti-Semitism is rife within Britain’s Muslim community. Islamic bookshops sell copies of Hitler’s Mein Kampf and the notorious czarist forgery The Protocols of the Elders of Zion; as an undercover TV documentary revealed in January, imams routinely preach anti-Jewish sermons.

The article states less within Britain than other European nations. Yet, within the 'elite' there seems to be more than a few:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dive...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.google.com/search?q=uk+s...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Everyone wants a two state solution, but one of the players refuses to play...

Forum List

Back