It's Bush's War.. No Wait it's mine if we Win

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama said Thursday that the escalation of U.S. troops in Iraq, which he had opposed, has succeeded in reducing violence "beyond our wildest dreams."

But Iraq still has failed to achieve the political reconciliation and self-sufficiency that is required, he said, and he vowed to withdraw American troops and end the war.

Earlier Thursday, in taping a segment for Fox's "O'Reilly Factor," Obama said the surge of U.S. troops has "succeeded beyond our wildest dreams."
Obama: Iraq surge exceeds expectations - Politics - Decision '08 - Barack Obama News - msnbc.com

"The surge isn't going to work either tactically or strategically," Biden told the Boston Globe last summer. "Tactically it isn't going to work because ... our guys go in and secure a neighborhood, but because we don't have enough troops, we have to turn it over to the Iraqis, and they can't hold it or won't hold it."
Biden's Anti-Iraq Surge Comments Could Be Part of McCain Attack Plan - From The Road - CBS News

There are soo many comments on the War from the current Administration that one need only use google to filter through them all. What I find rather interesting is the President's claims during the 08 campaign and prior to that about the War in Iraq, and now that the policies that the former Administration and it's SecDef put in place are bringing that war to a close, this President seems to have some selective memory loss. Frankly I for one am glad to see this War come to a close, so many young men and women made so many sacrifices over the years and I honor EACH and every single one of them and WILL NEVER say that all that sacrifice was for naught because regardless of screwed up reasons for our entry into this conflict perhaps it will end the torture and abuse of the citizens of that nation and give them the chance to make a nation free from despots like the former one.

Lol..you're so right! If ANYTHING started out by the previous president turns out good, then O will take the credit...if not then it's someone else's fault.
I'll be so glad to see every one of our soldiers back on home soil...but it's going to be a very long time. My son is just starting his special forces training at Ft Bragg in about a week. Not my dream job for my son, but he wanted this so bad so i'm very happy and proud of him. He's dedicated to the Army, but not the president! But that doesn't matter to him, he'll do what he has to do because he believes in it. Just like so many that have dedicated their lives to the military.

We are all proud of your son my friend and all those young men and women who daily make a the hard sacrifices that many are not aware of for this nation. It's why I get heated when I hear sometimes people say things like useless war, etc. because it insults all those who have made the sacrifices many with their lives to give someone else the same chances we have.

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:13)

Something to ponder when some toss around words like useless, and the whole host of other things associated with the war in Iraq.

So all anyone has to do is make sure a soilder dies for a military action to make it viable?

So all anyone has to do is make sure a soilder dies for a military action to make it viable?

You misunderstood what I posted in a large way Truth, what I was saying is that often times when people associate the words uselsss and a whole host of other reasons for going to war in Iraq for example, they disregard the sacrifices made by those in that war. Take Iraq for example, I think most agree that the reasons for going into that war were completely misrepresented, having said that truth, those young men and women who gave their lives in that conflict and still do, did not die for a useless reason. Even it were to save the soldier next to them or give the people in Iraq the chance to choose their own destiny free from torure, murder, rape and a whole host of other things.

I think the first question is whether we should have gone into the war in the first place. Six years ago, I opposed this war because I said that not only did we not know how much it was going to cost, what our exit strategy might be, how it would affect our relationships around the world, & whether our intelligence was sound, but also because we hadn’t caught bin Laden. We hadn’t put al Qaeda to rest, & as a consequence, I thought that it was going to be a distraction. I wish I had been wrong. We’ve spent over $600 billion so far. We have lost over 4,000 lives. We have seen 30,000 wounded, and al Qaeda is stronger now than at any time since 2001. We are still spending $10 billion a month at a time when we are in great distress here at home. The lesson is we should never hesitate to use military force, & I will not, as president, in order to keep the American people safe. But we have to use our military wisely. We did not use our military wisely in Iraq.... Barack Obama 9/2008

But the one important thing is that we not get mission creep, and we not start suggesting that we should hav troops in Iraq to blunt Iranian influence. If we were concerned about Iranian influence, we should not have had this government installed in the first place. We shouldn’t have invaded in the first place. It was part of the reason that it was such a profound strategic error for us to go into this war.

I will offer a clear contrast as somebody who never supported this war. I don’t want to just end the war, but I want to end the mindset that got us into war in the first place. Barack Obama 1/2008

I have put forward a plan that will get our troops out by the end of 2009. We already saw today reports that the Iraqi minister suggests that we’re going to be in there at least until 2018, a decade-long commitment. Currently, we are spending $9 to $10 billion a month. The notion is that we are going to sustain that at the same time as we’re neglecting what we see happening in Afghanistan right now, where you have a luxury hotel in Kabul blown up by militants and the situation continues to worsen. Barack Obama Jan 2008

There is no doubt that because we put American troops in Iraq, more American troops in Iraq, that they are doing a magnificent job. They are making a difference in certain neighborhoods. But the overall strategy is failed because we have not seen any change in behavior among Iraq’s political leaders. That is the essence of what we should be trying to do in Iraq. That’s why I’m going to bring this war to a close. That’s why we can get our combat troops out within 16 months and have to initiate the kind of regional diplomacy, not just talking to our friends, but talking to our enemies, like Iran and Syria, to try to stabilize the situation there. This year, we saw the highest casualty rates for American troops in Iraq since this war started. The same is true in Afghanistan. If we have seen a lowering violence rate, that’s only compared to earlier this year. We’re back to where we started back in 2006
Barack Obama Nov. 2007

I can keep going if you want Truth and your right, I'm frankly not happy with this President because this President has little if any skills for the office much like the previous one. So if you choose to call that partisan then of course your entitled to do so.

TM really isn't worth your time and consideralble expertise my friend.

She is a left leaning partisan of the first order. Nothing you or anyone else says will convince her that OL'BO isn't the greatest and the the Dems are merely fixing the mess that the Reps and BUSH made.

All you'll hear from OL'TM is that you are a biased, partisan hack.

Of course she can't even begin to see that in herself

So Navy. Save your posts for someone you can actually have an intelligent conversation with. TM that ain't. LOL

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama said Thursday that the escalation of U.S. troops in Iraq, which he had opposed, has succeeded in reducing violence "beyond our wildest dreams."

But Iraq still has failed to achieve the political reconciliation and self-sufficiency that is required, he said, and he vowed to withdraw American troops and end the war.

Earlier Thursday, in taping a segment for Fox's "O'Reilly Factor," Obama said the surge of U.S. troops has "succeeded beyond our wildest dreams."
Obama: Iraq surge exceeds expectations - Politics - Decision '08 - Barack Obama News - msnbc.com

"The surge isn't going to work either tactically or strategically," Biden told the Boston Globe last summer. "Tactically it isn't going to work because ... our guys go in and secure a neighborhood, but because we don't have enough troops, we have to turn it over to the Iraqis, and they can't hold it or won't hold it."
Biden's Anti-Iraq Surge Comments Could Be Part of McCain Attack Plan - From The Road - CBS News

There are soo many comments on the War from the current Administration that one need only use google to filter through them all. What I find rather interesting is the President's claims during the 08 campaign and prior to that about the War in Iraq, and now that the policies that the former Administration and it's SecDef put in place are bringing that war to a close, this President seems to have some selective memory loss. Frankly I for one am glad to see this War come to a close, so many young men and women made so many sacrifices over the years and I honor EACH and every single one of them and WILL NEVER say that all that sacrifice was for naught because regardless of screwed up reasons for our entry into this conflict perhaps it will end the torture and abuse of the citizens of that nation and give them the chance to make a nation free from despots like the former one.

We never should have invaded Iraq in the first place. We cannot and will not win ANYTHING there. Anybody who believes differently is a fool. We have thrown away too many young American lives for NOTHING, and it is time to bring our troops home. Period.

We never should have invaded Iraq in the first place. We cannot and will not win ANYTHING there. Anybody who believes differently is a fool. We have thrown away too many young American lives for NOTHING, and it is time to bring our troops home. Period.

Well Yank I could not disagree with you more on several points, while yes I do agree we should not have gone to Iraq in the first place and the commitment to battle was based on political reasons not national security ones. Having said, that the fact remaiins we are there and have been for several years, I will NEVER believe that ANY young man or woman that gave their lives and sacrificed and still do in that A.O. do so for NOTHING. As I have stated more than a few times in this post, regardless of the wrong reasons we are there, we are there we have boots on the ground and have at the very least given that nation a chance to decide a destiny for themselves , hopefully free from the torture, murder, and the use of chemical weapons on it's own citizens on a mass scale . Each person who has served in Iraq and is still serving deserves at the very least some respect for the sacrifices made by them and to imply their service is for NOTHING is to insult the very dignity of all those that have served regardless of the those reasons that they were sent there. You might be surprised that I agree with you that it's time to wind down operations in Iraq and the policies put in place by the previous Admisnitration and the current and former SecDef are seeing that it does.

You misunderstood what I posted in a large way Truth, what I was saying is that often times when people associate the words uselsss and a whole host of other reasons for going to war in Iraq for example, they disregard the sacrifices made by those in that war. Take Iraq for example, I think most agree that the reasons for going into that war were completely misrepresented, having said that truth, those young men and women who gave their lives in that conflict and still do, did not die for a useless reason. Even it were to save the soldier next to them or give the people in Iraq the chance to choose their own destiny free from torure, murder, rape and a whole host of other things.

A Soldier goes in for his country.....the politicians decide on the reason

In this case, careless political decisions provided the reason and 4000+ died. It does not make what the soldiers did any less heroic

Something to ponder when some toss around words like useless, and the whole host of other things associated with the war in Iraq.

i would have just preferred that the people who sent those honorable folk to make those sacrifices in the first place gave the slightest thought to doing a cost benefit analysis before doing so.

as for your thread title, i understand your point, but the reality is that he was left with two nightmares... if they come out okay, it's mostly because of what was done after bush left... although i will give bush props for picking petraeus, although he still gets a big goose egg for not listening to his state department, his father and general powell.

Last edited:
I don't think history will be a kind judge on President Bush and as I mentioned the decisions made to enter Iraq were based on false intelligence and done so for politcal reasons. I admit at the time I like many Americans was convinced of Iraqs involvement in such things. Having said all that,, it does not IMHO minimize the heroic efforts of ALL those men and women who have given and still give so much in that nation. While the original purpose for entering into the conflict many agree was wrong, perhaps in the end as I mentioned by giving the people of Iraq a chance to live free of the past is the victory we seek and we have already won!

I don't think history will be a kind judge on President Bush and as I mentioned the decisions made to enter Iraq were based on false intelligence and done so for politcal reasons. I admit at the time I like many Americans was convinced of Iraqs involvement in such things. Having said all that,, it does not IMHO minimize the heroic efforts of ALL those men and women who have given and still give so much in that nation. While the original purpose for entering into the conflict many agree was wrong, perhaps in the end as I mentioned by giving the people of Iraq a chance to live free of the past is the victory we seek and we have already won!

History will decide if it was worth the price. 4000 American deaths and an estimated 100,000 Iraqi deaths

If the country maintains a bit of stability and does not become a threat in the region, it may prove worthwhile. But the soldiers and the people paid a heavy price

Bingo! Very few in the MSM bothered to report that the draw-down to 50,000 troops in Iraq was George Bush's plan. This is a 2008 agreement made between the Bush Administration and the Iraqis. I couldn't believe Hopey Changey stood up there and took all the credit. And shame on the corrupt MSM for not calling him on it. He blames Bush for everything he f*cks up and now he's taking credit for successes he had nothing to do with. Oh well,just another Hopey Changey scam i guess. It is sad but it is what it is.

This year, we saw the highest casualty rates for American troops in Iraq since this war started. The same is true in Afghanistan. If we have seen a lowering violence rate, that’s only compared to earlier this year. We’re back to where we started back in 2006
Barack Obama Nov. 2007

There is no way in hell we could "win" either of these wars. Top the extent you continue to give validity to any part of them is the extent to which you are complicit in the USELESS death and maiming of our troops.

History will decide if it was worth the price. 4000 American deaths and an estimated 100,000 Iraqi deaths

If the country maintains a bit of stability and does not become a threat in the region, it may prove worthwhile. But the soldiers and the people paid a heavy price

Sadly, this is true for all wars

We are all proud of your son my friend and all those young men and women who daily make a the hard sacrifices that many are not aware of for this nation. It's why I get heated when I hear sometimes people say things like useless war, etc. because it insults all those who have made the sacrifices many with their lives to give someone else the same chances we have.

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:13)

The Iraq was unnecessary and a complete waste of the American lives lost.

Forum List

Back