It takes a Village Idiot to raise a child or Michelle Obama on Child Nutrition

I am still curious about what specifically the right finds objectionable about this bill.

Healthier meals for kids on reduced and free lunch programs seems like a no-brainer.

Of course, I am in a hospital that services a patient population that is almost 100% medicaid and I see the end result of a lifetime of poor nutrition which is diabetes and heart disease which have to be managed for decades and cost the taxpayers a shit ton of money.

This seems like money well spent to me.

I believe people should be free to make their own decisions and destroy their own health, if that is their choosing. You and the Democrats seek to coddle the ignorant. First, you want to make laws that protect them from their own stupidity. Then, even if those laws don't work, you want healthcare to cover their ignorance. I say let them kill themselves off and allow evolution to work its magic.

School lunchrooms make profits or at least break even in most school districts. They have a captive audience and sell the foods that kids like, hot dogs, soda pops, and french fries, which is very profitable junk food. Schools are required to offer a meal with at least some food value, however most school districts also supply the junk food that kids crave. Our local schools have got rid of the soda machines. Hopefully we are doing something about the meals.

If we want to reduce the cost of healthcare in 21st century, we need to be looking at lot closer at the lifestyles of our kids. Junk food is still offered in most of our school cafeterias and PE is voluntary in a number of states.

School lunchrooms make profits or at least break even in most school districts. They have a captive audience and sell the foods that kids like, hot dogs, soda pops, and french fries, which is very profitable junk food. Schools are required to offer a meal with at least some food value, however most school districts also supply the junk food that kids crave. Our local schools have got rid of the soda machines. Hopefully we are doing something about the meals.

If we want to reduce the cost of healthcare in 21st century, we need to be looking at lot closer at the lifestyles of our kids. Junk food is still offered in most of our school cafeterias and PE is voluntary in a number of states.

I'll say that I'm surprised by what high school students overwhelmingly choose to PAY FOR at school. Granted I've been subbing just 3 months in three high schools in suburbs nearly 5 days a week. In the morning most go for oatmeal or fruit-they are not what the school provides, but makes available in the cafe. At lunch the most popular lunch is brought from home. Second is salad bar.

My oldest is 29 and youngest 25, even when they were in high school the vending machines were there and so was the salad/soup bar. Mostly they packed their own lunches, they felt it was a bigger bang, meaning I paid for the food. If they bought lunch it came out of their money.

Same thing with 'junk food.' They were sensible enough to realize that they could buy a bag at grocery, while the machines were very pricey. Believe me, spend some time in high school cafes by the machines, if they get hit 15 times in an hour it's a lot. Really.

I am still curious about what specifically the right finds objectionable about this bill.

Healthier meals for kids on reduced and free lunch programs seems like a no-brainer.

Of course, I am in a hospital that services a patient population that is almost 100% medicaid and I see the end result of a lifetime of poor nutrition which is diabetes and heart disease which have to be managed for decades and cost the taxpayers a shit ton of money.

This seems like money well spent to me.

I believe people should be free to make their own decisions and destroy their own health, if that is their choosing. You and the Democrats seek to coddle the ignorant. First, you want to make laws that protect them from their own stupidity. Then, even if those laws don't work, you want healthcare to cover their ignorance. I say let them kill themselves off and allow evolution to work its magic.

By my reading of the bill, this applies to students that are on the reduced or free-lunch program.

It doesn't address people who buy their own lunch, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Wow, as long as you take the 9 words completely out of context from what the woman was saying, gee you've got a point. She must be a Marxist revolutionary or a communist or something huh?. How dare she imply that parents can't be.......

Literally stupid.

I'll say that I'm surprised by what high school students overwhelmingly choose to PAY FOR at school. Granted I've been subbing just 3 months in three high schools in suburbs nearly 5 days a week. In the morning most go for oatmeal or fruit-they are not what the school provides, but makes available in the cafe. At lunch the most popular lunch is brought from home. Second is salad bar.

My oldest is 29 and youngest 25, even when they were in high school the vending machines were there and so was the salad/soup bar. Mostly they packed their own lunches, they felt it was a bigger bang, meaning I paid for the food. If they bought lunch it came out of their money.

Same thing with 'junk food.' They were sensible enough to realize that they could buy a bag at grocery, while the machines were very pricey. Believe me, spend some time in high school cafes by the machines, if they get hit 15 times in an hour it's a lot. Really.
Well, that has not been my experience, but maybe the food offered in our district is different. I worked closely with the food service director in a large school district. There was always pressure to break even or show a profit on food sales. The most profitable items were always the soda machines and the junk food. If federal guidelines did not force the district to provide a balanced meal, I seriously doubt that the district would serve one.
This is just my experience. I'm sure it is different with different districts and states.

Well, that has not been my experience, but maybe the food offered in our district is different. I worked closely with the food service director in a large school district. There was always pressure to break even or show a profit on food sales. The most profitable items were always the soda machines and the junk food. If federal guidelines did not force the district to provide a balanced meal, I seriously doubt that the district would serve one.
This is just my experience. I'm sure it is different with different districts and states.

Actually the machines that get the most 'hits' would be those dispensing bottled water. I don't know how many kids have told me they gave up carbonated beverages in middle school. At least around here, seems a trend.

I will say that the schools are in affluent areas with mostly educated parents, which certainly skews what the kids learn at home and in school in all likelihood. Once again, the issue would make more sense being dealt with at local level, beginning in early years of educating parents on parenting and children on nutrition.

Threads like these are proof that the right will attack anything and everything Obama.

Threads like these are proof that the right will attack anything and everything Obama.

There are the old Republican extremists who are in lockstep but we've seen a few break away. They're the ones who are seeing the just say no Neocon/Teaparty position as short term strategy and nothing more.

I really like the way PapaObama has followed Bush's policy in Afghanistan by using missile strikes.

In fact, he has even increased them- so Kudos to him !
:eusa_angel:

(side note- the only "lock stepping" is made by the sound of the Democrats leaving DC after being kicked out by the American people for their radical policies)
:eusa_shhh:

Last edited:
I think nutrition should be the prime concern while taking the diet. Michelle Obama is right while discussing regarding the diet. Children are nowadays so very inclined towards junk food that they are lacking the nutritional food value. Video is worth to watch!

I think nutrition should be the prime concern while taking the diet. Michelle Obama is right while discussing regarding the diet. Children are nowadays so very inclined towards junk food that they are lacking the nutritional food value. Video is worth to watch!

Right to speak, not for gov't to legislate

Who is "we" in her statement?

I really like when PapaObama kept Club Gitmo open

Forum List

Back