Israel Seizes Solar Panels Donated to Palestinians, Smashes Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanger

Gold Member
May 21, 2014
Fuck israel
The Dutch government has lodged a formal protest with Israel after it was revealed that Israeli forces raided the Palestinian village of Jubbet al-Dhib, in southern Bethlehem, and seized scores of solar panels they had donated to try to provide electricity to the villagers.

The site of the demolished solar farm
The overall project was estimated to cost about $400,000, including panels, a diesel micro-generator, and assorted electronics. The panels are estimated to be worth $40,000 alone, and the Netherlands is demanding that Israel return them.

Even if they got the panels back, however, the project is effectively dead, with the Israeli forces that removed the panels also smashing up all the electronics while they were there, to make sure they could never be used again. Israeli officials insist this was appropriate, and that no one had permission to put solar panels in the village in the first place, meaning it gave them implicit permission to destroy the electronics.

they dont want palestinians to have electricity
Israeli settlements in the same area are attached to the national security grid, though Israel did not allow the Palestinians such a connection, this means that remote villages have essentially no electricity, with single buildings here or there squeezing a couple hours a day out of diesel generators. The solar program would’ve resolved this long-standing problem, which apparently didn’t sit well with Israel’s Defense Ministry, which rules the occupied West Bank and seemingly goes out of its way to keep the occupied population struggling.

Then there are the assholes who complain about people "singling out Israel" for criticism.

Israel singles itself out for criticism.

Then there are the assholes who complain about people "singling out Israel" for criticism.

The above is from the Palestinian who doesn't believe Israel has the Right to Exist
Israel is proving my point.

The above is from the Palestinian who doesn't believe Israel has the Right to Exist
Israel is proving my point.

You never believed Israel had the Right to Exist. You are proving my point

No foreign nation has the right to build anything on another nation's sovereign land. Period. (Though the reality in this case is that the Women's Council in this village solicited the funds.)

That said, this is one area where I think Israel is morally failing -- the treatment of the Palestinian villages in Area C.

Its a tricky situation where the people are under the sovereignty (well semi-sovereignty) of one government ("Palestine") and the land is under the (temporary) sovereignty of another (Israel).

There are 242 of these villages. They are typically quite small. This one, for example, is home to only 162 people. In some, it would be easy enough to hook them up to a nearby grid, in others not so much. It is very much an issue of urban development vs. the maintenance of agricultural sustenance farming, made much more complicated by the political and physical conflict. It is very much a cultural issue with respect to maintaining traditional means of livelihood, made much more complicated by the political and physical conflict.

However, Israel is morally wrong, in my opinion, to both withhold services and to prevent services from being built by the other government (or with the permission of the other government). Israel should, it seems to me, decide which of these villages she will assert sovereignty over and then do it by providing all of the services she would normally provide to other Israeli towns and villages. Alternatively, those villages which Israel decides should not be under her sovereignty should be effectively ignored under the category of "not my circus, not my monkeys". If the PA wants to permit Palestinians to petition for foreign funds and build, its not Israel's problem.

The problem with this whole scenario is that it forces Israel to unilaterally change the "status quo". I don't have a problem with that. But some will.

No foreign nation has the right to build anything on another nation's sovereign land. Period. (Though the reality in this case is that the Women's Council in this village solicited the funds.)

That said, this is one area where I think Israel is morally failing -- the treatment of the Palestinian villages in Area C.

Its a tricky situation where the people are under the sovereignty (well semi-sovereignty) of one government ("Palestine") and the land is under the (temporary) sovereignty of another (Israel).

There are 242 of these villages. They are typically quite small. This one, for example, is home to only 162 people. In some, it would be easy enough to hook them up to a nearby grid, in others not so much. It is very much an issue of urban development vs. the maintenance of agricultural sustenance farming, made much more complicated by the political and physical conflict. It is very much a cultural issue with respect to maintaining traditional means of livelihood, made much more complicated by the political and physical conflict.

However, Israel is morally wrong, in my opinion, to both withhold services and to prevent services from being built by the other government (or with the permission of the other government). Israel should, it seems to me, decide which of these villages she will assert sovereignty over and then do it by providing all of the services she would normally provide to other Israeli towns and villages. Alternatively, those villages which Israel decides should not be under her sovereignty should be effectively ignored under the category of "not my circus, not my monkeys". If the PA wants to permit Palestinians to petition for foreign funds and build, its not Israel's problem.

The problem with this whole scenario is that it forces Israel to unilaterally change the "status quo". I don't have a problem with that. But some will.
Israel is doing everything it can to ethnically cleans the Palestinians from area C. Israel cannot politically get away with just put everyone on trucks and carry them away.

Israel evicts them under the radar by preventing or destroying homes, and sources of food, water, and electricity. Unable to live without those necessities they move (on their own, of course) to one of the bantustans.

Israel is doing everything it can to ethnically cleans the Palestinians from area C. Israel cannot politically get away with just put everyone on trucks and carry them away.

Israel evicts them under the radar by preventing or destroying homes, and sources of food, water, and electricity. Unable to live without those necessities they move (on their own, of course) to one of the bantustans.

No one is Area C is unable to obtain food and water, so let's not be dramatic. There aren't even many issues with education and medical care, from my understanding. There are issues with electricity and with sewage and garbage removal.

So what do you think the solution to this problem is? Should Israel be expected to provide infrastructure to all 242 villages?

And of course, the supporters of Israel justify this criminal behavior on the part of the Israeli pieces of crap.

From your link.
"Critics point out that building permissions for new Palestinian homes and infrastructure are almost impossible to obtain".
Israel's a bitch, ain't it.
Israel does not charge to get a permit. They charge several thousand $ to apply. Israel throws it in somebody's in basket for a few months, pulls it out and stamps it rejected, and pockets the money. Oy vey.

Why should Palestinians be required to get permits from foreign assholes to build on their own land?

Everyone needs a permit.

Palestinians need not apply.
Palestinians have no land. In fact, they should be forced marched to Syria and told that they will be shot if they return.
Israel already did that in 1948.

Why should Palestinians be required to get permits from foreign assholes to build on their own land?

Everyone needs a permit.

Palestinians have no land. In fact, they should be forced marched to Syria and told that they will be shot if they return.
Israel already did that in 1948.
This is why you have to shoot them so they don't come back in.

The Dutch government has lodged a formal protest with Israel after it was revealed that Israeli forces raided the Palestinian village of Jubbet al-Dhib, in southern Bethlehem, and seized scores of solar panels they had donated to try to provide electricity to the villagers.

The overall project was estimated to cost about $400,000, including panels, a diesel micro-generator, and assorted electronics. The panels are estimated to be worth $40,000 alone, and the Netherlands is demanding that Israel return them.

Even if they got the panels back, however, the project is effectively dead, with the Israeli forces that removed the panels also smashing up all the electronics while they were there, to make sure they could never be used again. Israeli officials insist this was appropriate, and that no one had permission to put solar panels in the village in the first place, meaning it gave them implicit permission to destroy the electronics.

Israeli settlements in the same area are attached to the national security grid, though Israel did not allow the Palestinians such a connection, this means that remote villages have essentially no electricity, with single buildings here or there squeezing a couple hours a day out of diesel generators. The solar program would’ve resolved this long-standing problem, which apparently didn’t sit well with Israel’s Defense Ministry, which rules the occupied West Bank and seemingly goes out of its way to keep the occupied population struggling.
THIS IS ANOTHER THREAD THAT SHOULD SURPRISE NOBODY.

They cut power so regularly, that indigenous people rarely have any night or day... and they continue to persevere.

Everyone needs a permit.

And some say that Zionism is not the same as Nazism.

If I recall correctly the West Bank Jordanians rarely pay their electric bills.

The same as happened with the Native Americans. They don't want them to succeed, so they'll do anything to make sure this doesn't happen. The US used alcohol.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back