Islamicists Hatred for America

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Islamicists Hate Us for Who We Are, Not What We Do
    By Victor Davis Hanson
    January 13, 2005

As the third recent Middle East election nears in Iraq, Americans are still puzzled over why well-off Islamic fundamentalists crashed planes into skyscrapers and now send mercenaries to the Sunni Triangle to slaughter us as we sponsor democracy. Yet since Sept. 11, we have grasped that Muslim fascists understood that the course of American-led world history — democracy and globalized capitalism — was leaving them behind. Thus they strike the United States before they are made irrelevant.

America symbolized the onset of a hated modernism and its breakdown of religious, gender and ethnic hierarchies that were so treasured by Islamicist patriarchs. As this war wore on, we also fathomed the pathological partnerships of tyrannies in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Syria with al-Qaida and other terrorist cadres. Both groups scapegoated the superpower United States for their own failures. In addition, killers in bin Laden's mafia and other terrorist planners from Iran to the West Bank turned out not to be the impoverished, but more often the pampered of the middle class — like the Saudi suicide zealot who just blew up Americans in Mosul.

Yet in the gloom over postwar Iraq, ex-CIA agents and moody public intellectuals have recently doubted this "They hate us for who we are" explanation. Instead, they have reintroduced the notion of "They hate us for what we do" — as if there are legitimate grievances that logically earn such violent attacks organized by petro-heirs, doctors and crackpot mullahs. Even a toned-down bin Laden is quoted as witness. He recently joked that al-Qaida is going after America, not liberal Sweden: had we just shrunk to the stature of the politically correct Scandinavians, then our problems would vanish. But would they? Not at all.

1. The Islamofascists of the Middle East, like all autocrats, cannot be believed since they neither allow criticism nor tolerate self-reflection. Lying is their bible. Did poor Tojo and Hitler really have cause to gobble up their neighbors? Was Stalin's postwar Soviet Union that overran Eastern Europe unfairly stigmatized because of purported anti-communist frenzy? Of course not.

2. Alleged sins against Islam transform monthly. Americans have been murdered with near impunity all over the Middle East for a near quarter-century on a variety of pretexts. Sometimes fatwas and infomercials cited the "loss" of Jerusalem. Then there were the U.S. troops in the Land of the Holy Shrines or the U.N. embargo of Iraq — such gripes still persisting long after withdrawal of American soldiers from Saudi Arabia and massive aid to, not boycotts of, Iraq. Do not forget hurt over the expulsion of the Moors from Spain or the Crusades — as if the Islamicists alone can nurse centuries-old wounds. What unites this tired victimization is never logic, but always a preexisting antipathy toward Western liberalism, tempting and repelling the fundamentalists all at once.

3. Bin Laden and various mujahideen distort history. American beneficence — saving Kuwaitis, protecting Bosnians, feeding Somalis, or billions in aid for Egyptians — means nothing, while Islamic internecine murder is excused. The unspoken truth is that the killers of the Middle East have mostly been other Middle-Eastern Muslims: the Kurdish holocaust, millions butchered in the Iranian-Iraqi war, Iraq's rape of Kuwait, Syrian obliteration of Hama, Algerian massacres or the genocide in the Sudan. Land, oil, religion or ethnic hatred — not America — prompted such slaughter.

4. Terrorists still imperil liberal Europe that subsidized Hamas, armed Saddam and chastised America for its pro-Israel policy. After Spain fled from Iraq, it was rewarded with further terrorist threats. France is under intimidation for scarves, Holland for films and England still for Salman Rushdie.

5. Al-Qaida's hatred is opportunistically selective. The United States is slurred with allegations of petrol imperialism. But why no charges against a cutthroat nuclear China that is hungrier for Arab oil than is America and digested Tibet? Israel purportedly occupies Palestinian land, but Syria gobbled up Lebanon to the silence of the Arab League. We earn loathing for billions given to Israel, but why not gratitude for matching that amount to Egypt and Jordan?

It is humane to send massive aid to Southeast Asia after the tsunami. Yet the idea that the fundamentalist Muslim world in recompense will temper its hatred of the United States because we give far more than Saudi Arabia or China is sadly mistaken. If Israel were to disappear, or America were to give the Middle East $100 billion, the deductive hatred from radical Islam would persist.

The United States has adopted a rational strategy against Islamic fascism: kill the terrorists, remove illegitimate regimes that aid the extremists, foster democracies in their places and alter American policy from tolerance of the corrupt status quo to calls for reform. Yet we cannot finish the Islamicists' war unless we understand why they started it. For that answer, look at who Americans are and what we represent — not at what we supposedly have done.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    That is why the millions in tsunami aid to Indonesia will do nothing to diminish that country’s Islamic inspired hatred of the United States.

-

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Islamic and Arab people hate the United States because it supports Israel. Pretty much every other explanation is wrong.

4. supermarine

supermarine Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Man you gotta be blaming jews and israelis for everything, " THE JEWS CAUSED THE TSUNAMI" "THE NAZIS WERE JEWS" jews this jews that, man SHUT THE FUCK UP! go back to your little backwater shack down in redneck land and marry your sister

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Islamic fundamentalists don't hate America's freedom. They could care less about what we do at home. They hate us for the policies our government, under both democratic and republican administrations, has pursued in the Middle East since the end of WW II, particularly those intended to secure a steady flow of oil from the region.

So ignore the adminstration rhetoric about radical Islam hating America's freedoms. Because that's all it is...Empty, overblown, simplistic rhetoric. All sound and fury, signifying nothing.

6. William Joyce

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I'd say yes to the first part, not really to the second. We've been in Saudi for a long, long time. Dirty crap goes on, sure, but basically, capitalists don't care WHAT government's in place, so long as oil flows. That means Islamic fundamentalism would be cool, communism would be cool, fascism, whatever. But the reason Jews don't want Islamic fundamentalism is because that threatens Israel's security more than, say, the Shah. They also don't like strong secularist nationalist Arabs like Saddam. Basically, any time Arabs say, "let's flex our muscles," Jews get scared and want to blast them away using our tax dollars.

"They hate us for our freedom" is thinking like a kindergartner. Which Bush is, basically.

7. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    supermarine ,
    Calling William a redneck insults everyone in the south , he is from New York City . The other asswipe is from Columbus ,Ohio . . . aren't you Bully ? Oh and Bully ,what do you mean by the phrase "could care less" ? Did you mean to write "couldn't care less" because what you wrote doesn't make sense .. . .but then again , what's new?

8. William Joyce

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I happen to live here; I'm not from here.

I don't "blame the Jews for everything." I do blame them for our involvement in the Middle East. That's an easily confirmable fact. We would not have the Middle East as our No. 1 news story if not for the fact that Jews dominate the media and the Pentagon. The truth is that they are not interested in what's best for America, they're interested in what's best for Israel.

9. supermarine

supermarine Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11

I'm not insulting everyone in the south, I should clarify that when i say redneck, i mean the racists who mainly live in the south. These days they are a minority to the moderate people of the south. BUt yet they still spoil the image of the American South. And that's partially why i hate them.

10. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    I have lived all over the USA , there are racist everywhere , they just don't have a history. I lived in Southern California for 4 years and was stuck in a school that had over 18 riots in 1 year . . . all started by radical black and hispanic jerks . I also lived in Denver for 10 years and got to witness KKK rallies twice a year on the capital steps . I am constantly amazed at the prejudice against the south as a whole . Where exactly does the "south" start on the map . I know that Virginia is pretty far north and yet they continue to elect a Senator with KKK ties . Washington D.C. had a black Mayor that was caught on film doing crack , he was reelected , who would reelect a crackhead for their Mayor. Chicago is well known for their Nazis. And wasn't it New York cops that screwed a blackman in the ass with a broom handle?
    These stereotypes of the racist ignorant south are really old and pathetic . The civil war was a long time ago , I wish the "intellectuals" of the Northern states would get over it . The moonlanding and the placement of the Hubble telescope was handled by people in the south . The best food in the country is in the south . Some of the best looking women in the U.S. live in the south .Great music , great whiskey , great golf courses , incredible fishing , oil and gas production , the biggest party anywhere(Mardi Gras) , and the best vacation spots are all in the south . And the last 2 days we have suffered with 80 degree temperatures throughout the south .
    I know all of this and I am not even a fan of the south eastern states , I would much rather be back in Colorado . . . I like the 4 seasons and snow . Every place has it's shit and everywhere has it's incredible places . . . The south is no better or worse than the north , it is just that simple .

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1