Is this the future of education? Khan Academy.

Discussion in 'Education' started by Lyte, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Lyte

Lyte Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After seeing this video, I checked out Khan Academy and I was hooked. I've been refreshing my math skills in KA for a week now, and I'm impressed. It is an easy "no pressure" way to learn and the education videos are well made, simple and easy to understand.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM95HHI4gLk&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM95HHI4gLk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Khan Academy

Just click "practice" and try it out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've heard only good things about it. Many of the AP students use it for more advanced courses than they currently can take. The math teachers in particular I've heard discussing how the kids come with some challenging questions beyond the classroom after viewing and trying out the problems.

3. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    That is exactly the point. There are more math tutorials here:

PatrickJMT

The entire concept of teachers lecturing in front of a class is obsolete. It really has been obsolete since the invention of VHS tape.

It is our educational system that does not want to change. Teachers that are really boring and even teach stuff that kids don't want to know want to require kids to sit in their classes. Those videos will play on the $100 netbook by Sylvania from CVS. They will probably play on some cell phones.

Kids could watch videos on the bus riding to school. They could listen to lectures via MP3 players. We have the technology to implement an education explosion we just won't admit that our schools are designed to produce CONTROLLED IGNORANCE.

It began to dawn on me in my late grade school years that I was learning a lot more and more important stuff from reading science fiction books than I was from my teachers. If this society really wanted to educate kids it could have been done by just telling them the RIGHT BOOKS 40 years ago.

Look at the state of the economy. How is it our educators could not think of making double-entry accounting mandatory in the schools 40 years ago since double-entry accounting is SEVEN HUNDRED YEARS OLD?

NO, NO! The workers are supposed to be DUMB!

psik

4. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    After seeing all that Math, my mind shut down lol. Joking, but it looks pretty neat. I hope someday to become a Military History teacher, but that is a long ways down the road, and I hope the education system advances more by the time I get to that point.

5. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Great post! I've got Kahn on my bookmarks ..have for a while. Great refresher.

6. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I love Euler's equation. It was awesome to see it in the first few minutes. I saw some Calc III in there as well.

7. Dr.Traveler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    LSU is doing essentially this in College Algebra. Students meet with an instructor once a week for essentially a check in, then work on their own with videos, computer programs, etc, for the rest of the week. It's worked well, but parents and students still complain. They feel like they're getting cheated.

You're seeing this happening at the college level. Our courses have a large library of online material available to help out students. At this point in some courses, lectures persist pretty much for the students to ask questions of the instructor. I'm finding that I spend more time on questions than on lectures, as they can work it out on their own with videos, online homework programs, etc.

Ideally, that's how it'd always work.

Of course every student is different, so this approach may not work for everyone. But then, lectures aren't working for everyone either.

8. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,104
    [youtube]wjd7L6txGLk&feature[/youtube]

9. Dr.Traveler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Ok, finished it. I'm seeing a lot of these same types of approaches pop up in the college level. You folks should check out Hawke's Learning System (which is also a mastery based approach), and compare it to Webassign and MyMathLab, which lean towards the more traditional.

You might also check out the Moore Method, which seems to have some stuff in common with this teaching philosophy.

Very innovative stuff in that video. I'm glad I'm watching this from the perspective of having seen this stuff implemented and tried these things, rather than from the perspective of being the dinosaur watching the meteor hit.

10. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yeah, the transition is going to be a problem. There will be students, teachers and entire educational institutions that don't want to make the change. But I don't see how anything can stop this technology from getting cheaper and faster and more ubiquitous.

The cyber-culture is upon us. Swim or sink into the cyber-chasm. :lol:

psik