Is the recession technically over now?

I think it's kinda funny...the left insisted we were having a recession before the GDP was down. Then when we finally DO have a recession, under Obama, you insist we aren't having one.

20 percent more people are on foodstamps in Oregon than this time last year. Doesn't look like it's over to me.

I think it's kinda funny...the left insisted we were having a recession before the GDP was down. Then when we finally DO have a recession, under Obama, you insist we aren't having one.

20 percent more people are on foodstamps in Oregon than this time last year. Doesn't look like it's over to me.

As far as jobs and such go we may never end this recession.

But according to the technical description of a recession is this one over?

I mean haven't we had a few quarters of GDP growth which technically ends our recession?

As PREVIOUSLY STATED, THE GDP GROWTH IS FICTICIOUS BECAUSE IT REFLECTS THE ARTIFICIAL GOVERNMENT SPENDING, GRANTS AND FREE LOANS OF TRILLIONS TO BANKS. WHAT WE WANT TO SEE IS BUSINESS EXPANDING ON ITS OWN. SO FAR WE HAVE NOT SEEN ENOUGH OF THAT TO OFFSET THE LAYOFFS NATIONWIDE. So very Sad!

The determination of recession should solely be based upon the misery index. If more and more people are out of work week after week and month after month, then we are in a recession. When it is as bad as it is now, it is a DEPRESSION. It is continuing to get worse by the day.

But that is not the definition of a recession now is it Neubarth.

I think that technically we have had yet another jobless recovery.
A new American trend?

So very Sad!

The determination of recession should solely be based upon the misery index. If more and more people are out of work week after week and month after month, then we are in a recession. When it is as bad as it is now, it is a DEPRESSION. It is continuing to get worse by the day.

A new American trend?

Jobless recovery? Maybe jobless malaise?

Indeed! We need new definitions. So very sad.

There are idiots on this board who live to constantly post mocking the plight of the unemployed by denying the Depression. They maintain that we are not even in recession any more. Damn those satanic creeps to hell. We need to define DEPRESSION as it should be defined. We are in a depression when more that ten percent of the population that would work (if work was actually available) are out of work. Right now we are somewhere near twenty percent. Suicides are rising. Unrest is rising. If it continues to get worse, we are going to see massive civil insurrection in the streets of some of our major cities come the hot months.

I mean haven't we had a few quarters of GDP growth which technically ends our recession?

Recessions historically last one and a half to two years, I understand. People on unemployment are enjoying their new dependency, tax free, and many are choosing to stay there, instead of searching for a job in which they would have to earn their lifestyle. Meanwhile, their neighbors, the taxpayers, will be supporting them. That has to burn the hand that feeds them....

Recessions historically last one and a half to two years, I understand. People on unemployment are enjoying their new dependency, tax free, and many are choosing to stay there, instead of searching for a job in which they would have to earn their lifestyle. Meanwhile, their neighbors, the taxpayers, will be supporting them. That has to burn the hand that feeds them....

So I take it that you are one of the people on this board who love to mock the plight of the Thirty Million who are out of work and can not find work or job offers anywhere near where they live? I do not think that the present Horrific Depression is funny. Why do you?

Unemloyment is highest in areas like construction and manufacturing. It's also the highest among the uneducated.

As far as construction is concerned, those jobs aren't really coming back b/c they weren't needed to begin with. As far as manufacturing is concerned, those jobs already exist, just in different countries where labor is cheaper. So those jobs aren't really coming back either.

A big problem I'm seeing is that the unemployed don't want to work:

Landscapers find workers choosing jobless pay | detnews.com | The Detroit News

And no, I don't really feel bad for those people. I know one of them. He had no job, nor a degree and was living in a nicer apartment than what I was living in when I was scrapping pennies together to buy a house.

There are theoretically people out there that I feel bad for, but I haven't actually met any of them yet.

Unemloyment is highest in areas like construction and manufacturing. It's also the highest among the uneducated.

As far as construction is concerned, those jobs aren't really coming back b/c they weren't needed to begin with. As far as manufacturing is concerned, those jobs already exist, just in different countries where labor is cheaper. So those jobs aren't really coming back either.

A big problem I'm seeing is that the unemployed don't want to work:

Landscapers find workers choosing jobless pay | detnews.com | The Detroit News

And no, I don't really feel bad for those people. I know one of them. He had no job, nor a degree and was living in a nicer apartment than what I was living in when I was scrapping pennies together to buy a house.

There are theoretically people out there that I feel bad for, but I haven't actually met any of them yet.

7, you do not have the full picture. Manufacturing jobs are coming back. That is the only strong part of the economy, and sadly it is a very small part of our economy. The US is still the leading manufacturing country in the world, twice that of China or Japan. Of the 30 million who are out of work, according to the Stanford University study well over half do not have viable jobs offered anywhere within commuting distance of where they live. Though society has always had freeloaders, that is not the issue at play here. We are in a severe Depression and the jobs to support a family are just not there. Suicides are escalating all across the country. There was a TV news story out of Houston this morning about a couple who committed suicide because they were both out of work and their house was being foreclosed on. They were without hope and simply gave up on life. That is happening all across this land, and is an indication of how bad conditions really are. Saying that the people who are out of work are simply lazy parasites simply does not cut it.

The Republicans never admitted we were in a recession until a few weeks after the 2008 election

I imagine they will not admit we are out of recession until a few weeks after the 2010 election

Hi Citizen:

Neubarth is right and Citizen is clueless! There has been far too much Govt Stimulus 'Intervention' and "Manipulation" to use the old rule books defining Recession and the current 'Depression.' The markets are 'imploding' in slow motion. The difference between a 'contraction' and an economic 'implosion' is that no new expansion of the real economy is forthcoming ...

A new American trend?

A what? Jobless Recovery :)cuckoo:)??? No such thing exists! The USA needs 125,000 new jobs every month just to remain even. The numbers are being manipulated and the economy continues getting worse and worse. The Dow Jones is no longer going up and down from market conditions. We use the Dow Jones today to figure out if the idiot day traders are buying into Obama's LIES ... or not ...

If the markets go up, then Obama's LIES are being swallowed hook, line and sinker. If the markets go down, then the day traders 'are' getting a clue that the real U.S./Global Economies are IMPLODING ...

GL,

Terral

Putting aside all the spin, and answering the question at face value.

The answer is:

Yes.

Bullshit. We have not had any REAL GDP growth. We have had artificial GDP Growth, but that is not putting people back to work. It is just numbers for number's sake.

Forum List

Back