Is the recession technically over now?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by uscitizen, May 18, 2010.

1. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I mean haven't we had a few quarters of GDP growth which technically ends our recession?

2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I think it's kinda funny...the left insisted we were having a recession before the GDP was down. Then when we finally DO have a recession, under Obama, you insist we aren't having one.

20 percent more people are on foodstamps in Oregon than this time last year. Doesn't look like it's over to me.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    As far as jobs and such go we may never end this recession.

But according to the technical description of a recession is this one over?

4. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    As PREVIOUSLY STATED, THE GDP GROWTH IS FICTICIOUS BECAUSE IT REFLECTS THE ARTIFICIAL GOVERNMENT SPENDING, GRANTS AND FREE LOANS OF TRILLIONS TO BANKS. WHAT WE WANT TO SEE IS BUSINESS EXPANDING ON ITS OWN. SO FAR WE HAVE NOT SEEN ENOUGH OF THAT TO OFFSET THE LAYOFFS NATIONWIDE. So very Sad!

The determination of recession should solely be based upon the misery index. If more and more people are out of work week after week and month after month, then we are in a recession. When it is as bad as it is now, it is a DEPRESSION. It is continuing to get worse by the day.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    But that is not the definition of a recession now is it Neubarth.

I think that technically we have had yet another jobless recovery.
    A new American trend?

6. Neubarth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Jobless recovery? Maybe jobless malaise?

Indeed! We need new definitions. So very sad.

There are idiots on this board who live to constantly post mocking the plight of the unemployed by denying the Depression. They maintain that we are not even in recession any more. Damn those satanic creeps to hell. We need to define DEPRESSION as it should be defined. We are in a depression when more that ten percent of the population that would work (if work was actually available) are out of work. Right now we are somewhere near twenty percent. Suicides are rising. Unrest is rising. If it continues to get worse, we are going to see massive civil insurrection in the streets of some of our major cities come the hot months.

7. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Recessions historically last one and a half to two years, I understand. People on unemployment are enjoying their new dependency, tax free, and many are choosing to stay there, instead of searching for a job in which they would have to earn their lifestyle. Meanwhile, their neighbors, the taxpayers, will be supporting them. That has to burn the hand that feeds them....

8. Neubarth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    So I take it that you are one of the people on this board who love to mock the plight of the Thirty Million who are out of work and can not find work or job offers anywhere near where they live? I do not think that the present Horrific Depression is funny. Why do you?

9. industry7

industry7 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Unemloyment is highest in areas like construction and manufacturing. It's also the highest among the uneducated.

As far as construction is concerned, those jobs aren't really coming back b/c they weren't needed to begin with. As far as manufacturing is concerned, those jobs already exist, just in different countries where labor is cheaper. So those jobs aren't really coming back either.

A big problem I'm seeing is that the unemployed don't want to work:

Landscapers find workers choosing jobless pay | detnews.com | The Detroit News

And no, I don't really feel bad for those people. I know one of them. He had no job, nor a degree and was living in a nicer apartment than what I was living in when I was scrapping pennies together to buy a house.

There are theoretically people out there that I feel bad for, but I haven't actually met any of them yet.

10. CMike

CMike Zionist, proud to be

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    It doesn't matter it's 9.9 percent unemployment.