Is profit immoral?

Is profit immoral?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 96.4%

• Total voters
It depends entirely how the "profit" was realized.

This is the correct motorcycle, although if it is not realized in an honest fashion, I wouldn't call it "profit".

Damn it - I hate limitations on words.

*Granny bites tongue*

*Mfmpf - not working*

What's immoral is those who want to take someone else's profits instead of working for their own profits.
liberals are evil

Your examples illustrate nothing of the sort. They illustrate that some activities are immoral. The profit is incidental to those activities. You can't even give a clear example.

Do you think taxing someone at 100% of his income and assets, as was done in Nazi Germany, is immoral? Yes or no.

What are you fucking daft?

Selling drugs for most drug dealers is purely about profit. And when I say most..I mean about 99% of them.

And the Nazis never had a tax rate of 100%.

Are you a drug dealer? No. Neitehr am I. So the issue is selling drugs, not the profit. If they lost money on every sale it would still be immoral. The profit is irrelevant to the discussion.

The Nazis confiscated property, which is a 100% tax.
Robbing the Jews: The Confiscation of Jewish Property in the Holocaust, 1933

Since you brought it up, is profiting off of Jewish slave labor moral?

Your examples illustrate nothing of the sort. They illustrate that some activities are immoral. The profit is incidental to those activities. You can't even give a clear example.

Do you think taxing someone at 100% of his income and assets, as was done in Nazi Germany, is immoral? Yes or no.

Selling drugs for most drug dealers is purely about profit. And when I say most..I mean about 99% of them.

Are you a drug dealer? No. Neitehr am I. So the issue is selling drugs, not the profit. If they lost money on every sale it would still be immoral. The profit is irrelevant to the discussion.

Doesn't matter. Your OP placed no such conditions on the question.

No..it is not.

God never condemns anyone for having wealth. Instead he lays blame on the hearts of those who allow their wealth to interfere with God’s will. There are plenty of goodly figures in the Bible who enjoyed financial success.

I'll answer your question with the Word...

Can you ever state your own position? Are you actually a Kindle? That would explain why you always reply with quotes that rarely have anything to do with the point you are trying to make.

Matthew 5:3 said:
3Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Has nothing to do with money or profit.

Matthew 6:20 said:
20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

This one does, but does not exclude making money. It is about setting priorities.

Mark 10:21 said:
21Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

This actually ties in with the previous quote in that it is talking about a young man who made money his priority.

1 Timothy 6:10 said:
10For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

That is the essence of it, the love of money is bad. Money itself is not.

I report, you decide.

Look it up yourself: King James Version (KJV Bible) - Version Information - BibleGateway.com

P.S.

None of that says profit is evil.

HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO, do you collect a pay check?

THAT'S YOUR PROFIT, MORON!

Anyone who says profit is evil and yet collects a pay check or makes money IS A TOTAL HYPOCRITE.

The Patriarchs of the OT WERE ALL RICH MEN.

Each of these lessons you quote is about valuing money OVER GOD about COVETING. Not about making money in the first place?

Have you also read what Jesus said about Giving?

WELL HOW CAN YOU GIVE TO OTHERS IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Specific response to your last all-caps rant: Remember the parable about the rich man who went into the temple and paid a large sum of money vs. the woman who paid a little?

Jesus said she paid more. Why? Because with all his riches, it wasn't a lot to him, although it was to everyone else. The poor old woman, however, paid her last money, which was all she add, although it wasn't a lot to anyone, by any means.

General, slightly related, question...do you tithe?

It was a lot to her. But thanks for missing the point of the parable, as usual.

I said no, but you know the demonRats are gonna say yes.

So you think that if a hitman carries out a hit on a fellow and profits from that..that his profit was moral.

So if a drug dealer sells crack cocaine to a mother strung out on the drug..that's moral.

Okay..:clap2:

Least you're consistent.

The action that causes a profit does not make profit immoral. Profit is actually amoral.

One, there's nothing wrong wit.h a personal question. You either answer it or you don't. Simple. It's not a tactic. What is a tactic, however, is one calling a simple question a tactic, because one doesn't want to answer the question for what their answer will imply.

It's really not that personal, as Christians...we tithe. If you're not tithing...and you're a self-proclaimed Christian...well......

Which scriptures do you think require tithing for Christians?

How much do you tithe? Are you aware that the Old Covenant requires three different tithes from devout Jews? Or that they could actually use their tithes to for whatever they wanted to buy?

One the Scripture that you posted...I don't see how it relates specifically to this thread. That's more about the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, not about money, which this thread is about. There is no specific individual widow mentioned in the Scripture you posted. It's all about the Pharisees and their wicked ways. It's like saying "they kill babies." But you would then argue and say something like, "See how Jesus doesn't commend the babies."

This thread is about money? The OP doesn't mention money at all.

I suspect that you don't study the Bible. I don't see how one can post that Scripture as a response to anything in this thread. It's like referencing the 9th amendment when someone's talking about free speech...senseless.

I suspect that you do not think. None of the verses you posted had anything to do with prophit at all, which is actually what this thread is about.

"There were rich Christians in the Bible."
No one is saying there weren't. Aside from Kings, for the most part, they are few and far between. The exception and not the rule. There's more warning of and for the rich than anything in the Bible. You're argument is most than disengenous, it's dishonest and a lie.

No one in Kings was a Christian.

Want to try again?

"Joseph of Arimathea was Rich."
OK...and?

"The Roman Centurian that Peter was commanded to Preach the word and were babtized "were rich."
Again...so what?!??

"Rich Christians sheltered poor Christians."
Do you have any evidence of specific ones? I know that Jesus preached, quite often, about sheltering the rich. These were messages mostly for the Pharisees and Scribes, the majority of the rich during that time.

The Scribes were actually the equivalent of clerks. Some of them might have been rich, but they were not Christians at the time Jesus was talking about them.

Come to think of it, neither where the Pharisees.

"Mary and Martha (as well as Lazarus) were obviously well off"
Can you site Biblical evidence of this? Because, I'm quite certain that this is your opinion. And opinion in this particular context, in this debate has no place.

Thanks.

Just as your opinion that they were not well off is opinion, and equally useless.

Doesn't matter. Your OP placed no such conditions on the question.

Yes it did. The question was whether profit was immoral, not drug dealing.
You need to go back to 3rd grade. Assuming you made it through.

None of that says profit is evil.

HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO, do you collect a pay check?

THAT'S YOUR PROFIT, MORON!

Anyone who says profit is evil and yet collects a pay check or makes money IS A TOTAL HYPOCRITE.

The Patriarchs of the OT WERE ALL RICH MEN.

Each of these lessons you quote is about valuing money OVER GOD about COVETING. Not about making money in the first place?

Have you also read what Jesus said about Giving?

WELL HOW CAN YOU GIVE TO OTHERS IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Specific response to your last all-caps rant: Remember the parable about the rich man who went into the temple and paid a large sum of money vs. the woman who paid a little?

Jesus said she paid more. Why? Because with all his riches, it wasn't a lot to him, although it was to everyone else. The poor old woman, however, paid her last money, which was all she add, although it wasn't a lot to anyone, by any means.

Pray tell...what's the point of that parable?

Now THIS I gotta hear.

mj_popcorn.gif

Pray tell...what's the point of that parable?

Now THIS I gotta hear.

mj_popcorn.gif

Look at this, even Wikipedia understands that it is not about money.

And you claim to be a Christian willing to debate anyone here about the Bible.

Lesson of the widow's mite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which Prophet?

The prophet depends on who i am for or against and if they are about morals or not.

Morals are very flexible things.

It was once very moral for one to be summarially judged by one person and beheaded or crucified. To kill women and children., etc
And this is from our bible, the root of christian morallity.

Then Jesus came and changed all of that. You have to look at the entire Bible for context. It is easy to fit something into a narrative when only part of the facts are revealed.

I said no, but you know the demonRats are gonna say yes.

So you think that if a hitman carries out a hit on a fellow and profits from that..that his profit was moral.

So if a drug dealer sells crack cocaine to a mother strung out on the drug..that's moral.

Okay..:clap2:

Least you're consistent.

The action that causes a profit does not make profit immoral. Profit is actually amoral.

Which kinda blows the OP out of the water, no?

Matthew 5:3 said:
3Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 6:20 said:
20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Mark 10:21 said:
21Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

I report, you decide.

Look it up yourself: King James Version (KJV Bible) - Version Information - BibleGateway.com

P.S.

1 Timothy 6:10 said:
10For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Class-Envy 101 dude.

You want to quote the Bible?????
I've got Bible quotes for you:

Do not put any Gods before me (money, ideology)

Thou shall not steal (take possessions from people against their will)

Thou shall not kill/murder (abortion)

Thou shall not covet. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor. (jealousy, envy)

Thou shall not bear false witness (lying about your policies, your history, or your opposition)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back