Is Obama's "rich tax" starting to make sense?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JoeB, Aug 16, 2011.

1. JoeB

JoeB Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone help me understand.

I've always been relatively conservative in most my views. In particular the financial conservatives always made more sense to me than the liberals, but then I heard a conservative talk show host try to make a case against raising the tax on the rich by saying that 5% of the population is currently paying 95% of income tax ... fail.

If that is the case then raising the tax on that upper 5% by 5% will generate as much income as doubling the tax on the rest of us. Right?

Now I live in a nice neighborhood and I've seen that there is a big difference between how a millionaire and a trash collector live in this country. A big enough difference that I don't think that inching up the doctor's taxes by 5% is going to create nearly the work disincentive as doubling the tax on the trash collector.

Could Obama be right about the "rich" tax? Someone set me straight - if you can.

2. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    You need to bring the facts to the table, "conservative".

The top 5% pay 60% of the tax....not 95% of the tax. Now wudyagonnado?
    Top 5%
    59.67%
    above $145,283
    The Tax Foundation - New Data: Top 1% Pay Greater Dollar Amount in Income Taxes to Federal Government than Bottom 90%

You really don't sound too conservative....if we would have used your numbers that the top 5% that are paying your 95% number, and you feel that they should just pay the rest of the 5% outstanding, too.
    You sound like a class envy liberal to me.

3. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    In a word, no.

4. JMadison

JMadison Constitutionalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't know, but you're not conservative and never have been. Anyone that talks like that is NO conservative in any shape, matter or form.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. The Gadfly

The Gadfly Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Definition of a liberal: someone who believes in trying to make life "fair"...with someone else's money.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,866
    True. They all constantly talk about "equality". Problem is, they want equality of outcome, regardless of talent or effort. Conservatives want equality too, equality of opportunity. The outcome is up to the individual.

7. CitizenPained

CitizenPained Dissident-Jude

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I'm concerned about homeowners and the housing market. I'm not so concerned about getting a $4,000 check next April.

8. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,866
    I assume you are referring to over-withholding from your paycheck throughout the year (a bad strategy by the way) and then getting your own money back after you file your tax return? If so, don't fret! You can donate your money to the government. Seriously, they'll take it, spend it all and 40% more. You and Warren Buffet can lead the way!! Walk the walk baby!!!

9. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072
    The problem that a lot of us have with raising taxes on ANY Americans is that we don't trust the government to wisely spend ANY of our money. If they didn't have a such a shitty track record, then I think more people would be willing to put it on the table....but we don't have any faith that they'd use more revenue to shrink the government.

10. JoeB

JoeB Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you've hit on the best argument. Instead of the "Ag!, you not good conservative, you bleeding heart liberal" banter which my post received from most people you are shooting at the real issue: Do we really need to be giving our "leaders" more money to waste or should we expect them to clean up their spending first.

Good point, but with our debt maxed out we may have no choice, but to raise taxes (even after the Tea Party does it's best to clean up wasteful spending).

I think tighter control on lobbyists might be a good start!