Is Obama Screwing His Base with Rahm Emanuel Selection?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Obama has asked conservative Clinton vet Rahm Emanuel to be his chief of staff -- it's not a good sign for progressives.

At a time of record budget deficits, Emanuel has been a passionate supporter of increased spending for the Pentagon and has resisted efforts by fellow Democrats to trim excesses in the Bush administration's bloated military budget. For example, he has repeatedly voted against amendments to cut funding for Bush's dangerously destabilizing missile defense and even voted against an amendment to identify unnecessary Pentagon spending by examining the need, relevance and cost of Cold War weapons systems designed to fight the former Soviet Union.

A major hawk regarding Iran, Emanuel has also voted against Democratic efforts to prevent the Bush administration from launching military action against that country and has joined the administration in exaggerated claims about Iran's alleged nuclear threat. He is not opposed to nuclear proliferation if it involves U.S. allies, however. Emanuel has consistently voted against a series of Democratic amendments that would have strengthened safeguards in the Bush administration's nuclear cooperation agreement with India to prevent U.S. assistance from supporting India's nuclear weapons program.

Emanuel is also a prominent hawk regarding Israel, attacking the Bush administration from the right for criticizing Israel's assassination policies and other human rights abuses. He was also a prominent supporter of Israel's 2006 attacks on Lebanon, even challenging the credibility of Amnesty International and other human rights groups that reported Israeli violations of international humanitarian law. Emanuel's father had emigrated from Israel in the 1950s, where he had been a member of the terrorist group Irgun, which had been responsible for a series of terrorist attacks against Palestinian and British civilians in mandatory Palestine during the 1940s. Emanuel himself served in a civilian capacity as a volunteer for the Israeli army in the early 1990s.

Is Obama Screwing His Base with Rahm Emanuel Selection? | ForeignPolicy | AlterNet

:lol: OMG so let me see if I understand this..

The Repubs think he screwed them cuz the guy is a complete partisan and now someone else says he screwed the Dems cuz the guy is a conservative?

this just gets better and better.

No, the Repubs recognize him as a screeching partisan hack, who shook his finger in the face of and cursed at the Russian head of state.

He's a little weasel. But I'm glad he screwed the dems. Things could be worse.

:lol: OMG so let me see if I understand this..

The Repubs think he screwed them cuz the guy is a complete partisan and now someone else says he screwed the Dems cuz the guy is a conservative?

this just gets better and better.

You've scored a passing grade on the reading comprehension test, but "this gets better and better" does not pass as an educated opinion.

This must be your equivalent of Obama's 130 "present" votes.

See some of my posts and Black As Coal's. We agree, the appointment is for the Congress, not the Republicans. The Republicans will be a marginal problem, the Congress? Not so much so.

Forum List

Back