Is Islam the prophesized Anti-Christianity?

freeandfun1 said:
Yet you believe that a Jew or Christian or whatever, will be able to convince 1,000,000,000 Christians, atheists, etc. to do so? You have more faith in Islam than Christianity?

I know, you will probably say, well, after the Rapture, all believers will be gone (I know, an assumption that you believe in the Rapture - argument's sake... ok?)...

Exactly. More the reason why Islam might be able to take a lead after the Rapture. The AC might claim to be Allah and say the HE made all the Christians leave because they were corrupting the world. When examining or thinking about how the AC might take control to get what we know the Bibles says he will get - for a while anyway - to be a "god" on Earth, we have to think about how the world will be at that time. Likely desperate, looking for answers and easily manipulated.

Just some thoughts.

It could certainly happen - I'm not saying it won't. I just find it improbable. But that's the difficulty with stuff that happens in the future - it's so unknowable! :teeth:

nucular said:
Aside from maybe the pope, they are all figures who are worshipped by X-ians and given credit for supernatural powers. Supernatural beings who are worshipped are called "gods".

I do apologize for taking things off topic.

Here's some Christian Theology 101 for you, nucular:

Christians worship one God. We believe that God has revealed himself as three persons residing in one Godhead: God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit. While all three are God, all three are separate persons. Thus, Jesus is God, but Jesus is not the Father.

As far as the saints, Catholics do not worship saints, but they believe that saints are alive and able to offer intercessory prayers on their behalf. This includes Mary, although Mary is given a special place in Catholicism as the mother of Christ. Protestant Christians neither pray to saints nor hold Mary in higher esteem.

Now that you hold a more educated view of Christianity, how are you confused?

gop_jeff said:
It could certainly happen - I'm not saying it won't. I just find it improbable. But that's the difficulty with stuff that happens in the future - it's so unknowable! :teeth:
Very true!

Zhukov said:
I would say 'worshiped' is overstating it.

Catholics hold Mary in great reverence, but I would not say they worship her.

Main Entry: 1wor·ship
Pronunciation: 'w&r-sh&p
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English worshipe worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being, from Old English weorthscipe worthiness, respect, from weorth worthy, worth + -scipe -ship
1 chiefly British : a person of importance -- used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)
2 : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence
3 : a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual
4 : extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem <worship of the dollar>

Definitions 2 and 3 describe X-ians attitude towards Jesus, Mary, Saints and the various forms of "GOD". To be a saint requires a miracle, and miracle is defined as a supernatural act. Therefore when people pray to saints they worship according to definition 3. Mary, having reproduced using supernatural means, same story.

Definition 4 would apply to the various statues,paintings, necklaces, crosses etc. I am not a Moslem nor do I admire their religion, but maybe that's why they prohibit such things.

Face it, Christians worship a multitude of people, gods and objects. That's why most of the world think of it as a polytheistic religion.

nucular said:
Etymology: Middle English worshipe worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being, from Old English weorthscipe worthiness, respect, from weorth worthy, worth + -scipe -ship
1 chiefly British : a person of importance -- used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)
2 : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence
4 : extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem <worship of the dollar>

Definitions 2 and 3 describe X-ians attitude towards Jesus, Mary, Saints and the various forms of "GOD". To be a saint requires a miracle, and miracle is defined as a supernatural act. Therefore when people pray to saints they worship according to definition 3. Mary, having reproduced using supernatural means, same story.

Definition 4 would apply to the various statues,paintings, necklaces, crosses etc. I am not a Moslem nor do I admire their religion, but maybe that's why they prohibit such things.

Face it, Christians worship a multitude of people, gods and objects. That's why most of the world think of it as a polytheistic religion.
Love how you try to twist and turn meanings. You have heard from several Christians that your suppositions are incorrect. Why do you not take our word for it, yet instead, try to tell us what we believe?

How moronic.

nucular said:

Face it, when in doubt, argue semantics. You are becoming sooo predicatble in such a short period of time.

And, who exactly are all these people who think Christianity is a polytheistic religion? Do they, like you, not know the difference between a Saint and God, not to mention all the various different denomonations?

YHWH or
yhwh_5.gif
in Hebrew.

God's name the "I Am", reveals the fullness of His nature, all of God's nature and attributes are embodied in His name.

God's name, as written in Hebrew right to left:
yhwh_5.gif

Jesus says: he that hath seen me hath seen the Father (Jn.14:9)... so, actually, the best picture of God the Father is Jesus on the crib at Bethlehem, or on the cross at Calvary, or as a carpenter... yes, whoever sees Jesus sees the Father!.

Yes, the name of Jesus Christ is the modern pronunciation of the YHWH mentioned 6800 times in the Old Testament.

The name Yahweh (YHWH) tells us what God is in Himself: "I AM THAT I AM" or "I AM" or "I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE". This sacred name of God represents what God is in His essential nature- “He is”-no argument; simply stating the fact that “God is!”.

nucular said:

In Christian theology, worshipping something would entail definition #2. However, again, Christians do not worship saints or Mary. Just because you say they do doesn't make it so. You need to look a little deeper into Christian practice.

As a Christian, I am well aware of what I worship: God, and God alone. It's extremely arrogant of you to take your uneducated opinion and tell me what I do or do not worship.

Alrighty. Now that we've established that Christians are in fact monotheists, the misunderstanding of non-Christians notwithstanding, back to my original request if possible...

Zhukov said:
The old thread that first made me think of this was just about the Christian idea of the end times. I forget what it was called but I'm sure those who posted on it remember it. It was around for awhile.

Anyways, two of the things I remember striking me were:

1.) the prediction of false prophets

and

2.) the worship of death, as opposed to life

As for one, everyone knows that it is oversaid that Mohammed was a prophet, the last prophet. There were also other threads with comments about how his prophecies didn't come true.

As for two, well, I think that's obvious enough. But if not, I hasten to point out one oft repeated statement of Hamas is "we love death more than the Jews love life"

I was looking for elaboration on these points, and other points, if it exists.

Looking for scriptural cut-and-pastes about the warning against false prophets and a religion of death, and other things people might consider pertinent.

I know there are people here who know the bible much better than I and would know off the tops of their heads where to find this information.

Zhukov said:
Alrighty. Now that we've established that Christians are in fact monotheists, the misunderstanding of non-Christians notwithstanding, back to my original request if possible...

Looking for scriptural cut-and-pastes about the warning against false prophets and a religion of death, and other things people might consider pertinent.

I know there are people here who know the bible much better than I and would know off the tops of their heads where to find this information.

Ohhh, -=d=-. :laugh:

Zhukov said:

Check out Matthew 24.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=24&version=31

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.

"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Not too sure about a religion of death... though we certainly can see a culture of death in the world today.

nucular said:
Aside from maybe the pope, they are all figures who are worshipped by X-ians and given credit for supernatural powers. Supernatural beings who are worshipped are called "gods".

I do apologize for taking things off topic.

JC, the HS, and God are one in the same, it isn't difficult to understand their reluctance to simply take you at your word that they are more than one "God" when their book actually tells them they are the same Entity.

This is entirely hogwash, an attempt to refute by ignoring direct given information. A logical fallacy if I have ever seen one. If the Supernatural powers are attributed to one Entity in the information you are given, yet you continue to simply state that they are more than one with no new information you are simply ignoring direct information and have decided to "misunderstand" when the information has been directly given to you.

I repeat this is hogwash of the highest order.

no1tovote4 said:
JC, the HS, and God are one in the same, it isn't difficult to understand their reluctance to simply take you at your word that they are more than one "God" when their book actually tells them they are the same Entity.

OK, let's assume they are. What about the Pope, Saints and Mary? Are they semi-gods, human but worshiped anyway, supernatural beings that are worshiped but not gods? I don't get it. If people worship them and they are supernatural doesn't that make them gods or idols? Or if they are not supernatural beings why are people worshiping them?

nucular said:
OK, let's assume they are. What about the Pope, Saints and Mary? Are they semi-gods, human but worshiped anyway, supernatural beings that are worshiped but not gods? I don't get it. If people worship them and they are supernatural doesn't that make them gods or idols? Or if they are not supernatural beings why are people worshiping them?
Can you read? We all have said that we do not worship (or even consider worthy of worship) Saints, the Pope, etc. A matter of fact, you are lumping all Christians into one group. There are MANY Christians that don't even like the Pope, much less "worship" him. There are many Christians that consider Catholocism's reverance for Mary as verging on blasphemy. So you are way off and obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

nucular said:

From post #22, which I wrote before:

gop_jeff said:
As far as the saints, Catholics do not worship saints, but they believe that saints are alive and able to offer intercessory prayers on their behalf. This includes Mary, although Mary is given a special place in Catholicism as the mother of Christ. Protestant Christians neither pray to saints nor hold Mary in higher esteem.

The pope is likewise not worshipped, though Catholics recognize him as the leader of the Cathloic church, and the human representative of Christ on earth. Obviously, Protestants disagree on the latter point.

Neither the Pope nor saints nor Mary are worshipped in Christianity. Only God is.

gop_jeff said:
From post #22, which I wrote before:

The pope is likewise not worshipped, though Catholics recognize him as the leader of the Cathloic church, and the human representative of Christ on earth. Obviously, Protestants disagree on the latter point.

Neither the Pope nor saints nor Mary are worshipped in Christianity. Only God is.

OK now that we've gotten that straightened out, back to the original topic. The statement that Islam is the prophesized anti-christianity because it praises death is interesting. But the same could have been said about Japanese state Shinto and the kamikaze pilots. There is always some religion or cult that can fit that particular bill.

nucular said:

Even the Catholics do not worship the Pope, Mary or the Saints. That would be much like worshiping themselves. Would you worship a teacher? That is what worshiping the Pope would be like. Mary is somebody that they look up to but not worship, the Saints are simply people that have the ear of God. You are attempting to proscribe worship where none is in this case, also a logical fallacy. What evidence do you have that they worship these people? Asking another person to intercede for you is not worship.

Now, if you get into Protestant religions they clearly do not worship Mary or the Pope and they don't even ask Saints to speak to God for them. You are reaching for something that isn't there.

nucular said:
OK now that we've gotten that straightened out, back to the original topic. The statement that Islam is the prophesized anti-christianity because it praises death is interesting. But the same could have been said about Japanese state Shinto and the kamikaze pilots. There is always some religion or cult that can fit that particular bill.

Just because there is always some religion willing to fit the bill doesn't make Islam the continuation of Christianity, or deny that it is the "Anti-Christianity" prophesied. I fail to see how this fits in the current topic at all.

I think you are referring to Catholicism. Since one of the signs of the end of the world is an increase in depravity and a decrease in moral values. If you can't trust your kid with a priest, the world must be going to hell.

Forum List

Back