Is Christianity a religion any more?

Christians have been debating and killing each other over how to love thy neighbor as thyself for a touch of 2000 years, now.

We're still working out a few details (like: Who would Jesus kill?), so just give us time.

Now you'd think that what with the Bible we'd have gotten this down by now, but I suspect that the people who wrote the bible were moonlighting from their day jobs as those technical writers who give us directions for how to put together stuff made in China.

So the problem is either a problem of meaning lost in translation or perhaps, just perhaps, the Bible lost something in the original.

or perhaps evil people do evil things and co-opt whatever dogma suits their purpose.....

touche' :lol:

And I could show you links to myriads of threads started by Colorado Mountain Man doing just the opposite with his Christian bashing threads. Because one person on a message board posts that crap, then he speaks for everyone in his 'group' then? Like I said, those with a little common sense would know better I would hope.

You're really getting upset about this, aren't you? Just because I post one thing to illustrate a point doesn't mean that I am deliberately not posting another perspective because I want to slant the thread one way or another.

The OP was about the different branches of Christianity, and the way they sometimes make comments that exclude other branches of Christianity. CMM is not a Christian, and is therefore off topic on the basis of my OP. You've welcome to comment on this of course, but that's the reason I didn't.

If you read my posts rather than just reacting to what you appear to be perceiving as a hidden agenda, you'll see that nowhere have I said that any one person "speaks for everyone in his 'group'".

No, I'm not upset at all. :lol: If you think this is upset, you haven't seen nothin' yet. I addressed what you said in the OP about people being at odds about 'true christianity' for 100's of years, so I don't think that is a good reasoning for saying that Christianity is falling apart.

I'm reacting to the posts as I go, I will admit however that I am used to being bashed and attacked for my beliefs, so perhaps I look for that agenda at the first. You haven't said that, but in my mind it was somewhat implied. I was satisfied when you said that you didn't know what percentage of people who call themselves Christians attack others for their different beliefs.

OK then. BTW, I don't believe that Christianity is falling apart. It was simply a controversial title for the thread (I used to work in Marketing).

I do however believe that the various brands of Christianity are so fragmented that it is no wonder that non Christians have difficulty getting to grips with what the central themes are.

As with most things, it tends to be the most controversial issues that get the most airtime, to the detriment of those things that I believe people ought to understand about the teachings of Christ.

That was a convoluted and perhaps unclear last sentence. I would correct it but I have to take my son to Little League.

A lot of non Christians have come to threads with a view of what Christians will feel about certain topics, only to be pleasantly surprised that
-they cast aside the bible and let reason take over for a moment.

Some Christians believe that other Christians are damned to hell because what they believe does not follow the specific words of Christ as revealed in the Bible.

that's what the bible says- that they're not christians

Catholicism is not christianity. It is neo-paganism and polytheism disguised as a cross, so that Constantine and his successors would spread a single faith by the sword and keep the people in Western Rome under tyrannical rule

2. My wife was married before. She is divorced, but her marriage has not been annulled by the Catholic church. We were married by a non denominational priest. According to Catholicism, we are living in a state of sin.

scapulars, indulgences, the sacrifice of the mass, 'call no man on Earth your father', iconography, a power structure modeled after the Roman empire.... catholocism does not believe in the bible or practice any of its teachings. If you were a christian who truly believed in the bible, you would not let her believe in the devil's teachings or be married to a follower of 'the god of this world'

It seems to me that some posters are incapable of appreciating that one belief doesn't always necessitate another

Tes it dioes. Belief that the King's Holy Library (AKA: Holy Library, Holy Book, Holy Bible...) is the word of god necessitates the belief of all that is inside it

. Non-believers take it personally, as if we MADE it that way, and it's because of our own arrogance that it is so.

~2000 years of history...

The fact that, in their religious zeal, some Christians think it is important to attack those who do not share their beliefs?
Only those who believe in the Torah/OT and an unchanging, 'perfect' god- you know, the teachings of their holy books

1. "Christianity" is very, very broad-spectrum.

No, it's not- it is the dingle faith of the apostles. What you are referring to is neochristianity

2. Personally, there is a big difference in someone saying they are a Christian and actually being a Christian.
No true Scotsman, eh?.

Christians have been debating and killing each other over how to love thy neighbor as thyself for a touch of 2000 years, now.

We're still working out a few details (like: Who would Jesus kill?), so just give us time.

Now you'd think that what with the Bible we'd have gotten this down by now, but I suspect that the people who wrote the bible were moonlighting from their day jobs as those technical writers who give us directions for how to put together stuff made in China.

So the problem is either a problem of meaning lost in translation or perhaps, just perhaps, the Bible lost something in the original.

You're really getting upset about this, aren't you? Just because I post one thing to illustrate a point doesn't mean that I am deliberately not posting another perspective because I want to slant the thread one way or another.

The OP was about the different branches of Christianity, and the way they sometimes make comments that exclude other branches of Christianity. CMM is not a Christian, and is therefore off topic on the basis of my OP. You've welcome to comment on this of course, but that's the reason I didn't.

If you read my posts rather than just reacting to what you appear to be perceiving as a hidden agenda, you'll see that nowhere have I said that any one person "speaks for everyone in his 'group'".

No, I'm not upset at all. :lol: If you think this is upset, you haven't seen nothin' yet. I addressed what you said in the OP about people being at odds about 'true christianity' for 100's of years, so I don't think that is a good reasoning for saying that Christianity is falling apart.

I'm reacting to the posts as I go, I will admit however that I am used to being bashed and attacked for my beliefs, so perhaps I look for that agenda at the first. You haven't said that, but in my mind it was somewhat implied. I was satisfied when you said that you didn't know what percentage of people who call themselves Christians attack others for their different beliefs.

OK then. BTW, I don't believe that Christianity is falling apart. It was simply a controversial title for the thread (I used to work in Marketing).

I do however believe that the various brands of Christianity are so fragmented that it is no wonder that non Christians have difficulty getting to grips with what the central themes are.

As with most things, it tends to be the most controversial issues that get the most airtime, to the detriment of those things that I believe people ought to understand about the teachings of Christ.

That was a convoluted and perhaps unclear last sentence. I would correct it but I have to take my son to Little League.

I understood what you meant, and couldn't agree with you more. Have fun at Little League. :lol:

The philosophy of judging someone based on criteria that may include them in a certain group. I don't think that 'some black/white people give other black/white people a bad name'. I realize that other people operate this way, but I try very diligently to not do that.
People should be judged as individuals. So, I really don't think we're in disagreement here since I agree with what you posted.

Good. I'm glad we have that settled. :)

Christianity is getting stronger and stronger. It's evidenced by the enhanced level of rage levelled at Christians, and the increased discourse about CHristianity.

CHristians didn't talk about this stuff 20 years ago. Not openly.

Christianity is getting stronger and stronger. It's evidenced by the enhanced level of rage levelled at Christians, and the increased discourse about CHristianity.

CHristians didn't talk about this stuff 20 years ago. Not openly.

Internet.

Forum List

Back