CDZ Is a paperless and secure election system possible?

Given the current circus of the 2020 election, it may be time to invest the resources in a purely electronic election system. Thailand is already using a blockchain based electronic election system for primaries. I believe it is time and the technology is mature enough to make the leap. For example, facial recognition software could be used to match a voter's face with the voter's photo ID. The voter takes a 'selfie' holding their photo ID next to their face. Once matched, then the voter then enters their social security number and voter id number and is allowed access their ballot. What do you think, is it time to go paperless? If so how would you do it?

We have the technology but we are risk of hacking or a fake hacking with the government claiming they were hacked but were not so they can nullified the vote if they are losing to a third party...

So yes it can be done but there are risks...
Definitely there are risks, but with blockchain technology and keeping the election system on a private network just like highly classified labs are, the risks can be mitigated.

If it can be secured then yes let do it and be done with the old way of voting!

I believe Seattle has started this but I could be wrong...

Given the current circus of the 2020 election, it may be time to invest the resources in a purely electronic election system. Thailand is already using a blockchain based electronic election system for primaries. I believe it is time and the technology is mature enough to make the leap. For example, facial recognition software could be used to match a voter's face with the voter's photo ID. The voter takes a 'selfie' holding their photo ID next to their face. Once matched, then the voter then enters their social security number and voter id number and is allowed access their ballot. What do you think, is it time to go paperless? If so how would you do it?

We have the technology but we are risk of hacking or a fake hacking with the government claiming they were hacked but were not so they can nullified the vote if they are losing to a third party...

Definitely there are risks, but with blockchain technology and keeping the election system on a private network just like highly classified labs are, the risks can be mitigated.

Interesting I didn't know that! So what concerns me about that is having each state do their own thing and then you just have a higher tech version of inconsistency and possible shenanigans.

I still think it needs to be one private network with no access except by facial recognition/finger print ID plus personal identification numbers. Independent computer experts would on occasion have to be granted access UNANNOUNCED to perform inspections of the network.

Interesting I didn't know that! So what concerns me about that is having each state do their own thing and then you just have a higher tech version of inconsistency and possible shenanigans.

I still think it needs to be one private network with no access except by facial recognition/finger print ID plus personal identification numbers. Independent computer experts would on occasion have to be granted access UNANNOUNCED to perform inspections of the network.

Yeah, I was listening to Micheal Smerconish show when they talked about Seattle and using phones to vote with...

So I believe it can be done but you are correct one server is needed and not multiple ones...

So this is what I've got so far for an electronic PRESIDENTIAL election system:

1) Split the Presidential ballot from the rest of the state level Congressman and props. The rest of the ballot would remain paper ballot but would NOT contain the Presidential choices.
2) Manage the Presidential election on a private secure network, no internet access. Facial/Fingerprint recognition ID plus personal id numbers required for one time access.
3) Once you have access to your ballot, you would be given 3 Yes/No questions. Do you want xxxx to be president? Do you want yyyy to be president? DO you want zzzz to be president?
If you said no to all three you would be allowed to enter your write in candidate.
4) Sign your ballot electronically.
5). Once signed, your ballot is electronically locked not modifiable by the voter or anyone else.

aside from huge capacity and thus funding problems for such a system, it would be too easy to fool, especially in early releases of the tech.
and with that comes all the scandals you might expect from a truly 'rigged election', which could go on for 20 years..

aside from huge capacity and thus funding problems for such a system, it would be too easy to fool, especially in early releases of the tech.
I respectfully disagree. The capacity would not be an issue at all since I am talking about only managing the votes for the President in this secure system, not the rest of the ballot for congressmen, propositions etc. Those would still be managed at the state level.

So let's say you have 300 million registered voters. You would only need a few kbytes or so per voter to store their name, ids, vote selection and date. The key is managing the authentication of the voter for login access to their ballot and keeping the system as a private network off the internet, also easily accomplished.

Is a paperless and secure election system possible?

Theoretically it's possible but the very nature of electronic-digital system data is that it is all 1s and 0s reflecting lines of code so is inherently designed to be easily changed. The code decides everything, even whether the changes can be found! The perfect system would entail the creation of entirely different ballot counts, one electronic and the other physical-- -- the second being inherently UNchangable, so that if there is any question, one can go back and recount BOTH results to see if they agree or not.

Theoretically it's possible but the very nature of electronic-digital system data is that it is all 1s and 0s reflecting lines of code so is inherently designed to be easily changed. The code decides everything, even whether the changes can be found! The perfect system would entail the creation of entirely different ballot counts, one electronic and the other physical-- -- the second being inherently UNchangable, so that if there is any question, one can go back and recount BOTH results to see if they agree or not.
Good point! So you have the primary storage system be stored on "write once" fusible link memory and then standard servers for backups.

Good point! So you have the primary storage system be stored on "write once" fusible link memory and then standard servers for backups.

Why not? Something like that. Are we to seriously believe the current system is the best we can do? Or is it only designed to subjectively pass as adequate while being defensibly corrupt instead with so many knotholes that no one can actually figure out what really happened before the truth is swept under the rug?

WHY do we allow courts TWO YEARS to decide a fender bender yet only 30 days to clarify a presidential election?

Good question. The answer is “No”. Offline and decentralized aggregation is a great defense against funny businesses. It’s nearly unhackable and fraud is in the dozens not thousands today.

I respectfully disagree. The capacity would not be an issue at all since I am talking about only managing the votes for the President in this secure system, not the rest of the ballot for congressmen, propositions etc. Those would still be managed at the state level.

So let's say you have 300 million registered voters. You would only need a few kbytes or so per voter to store their name, ids, vote selection and date. The key is managing the authentication of the voter for login access to their ballot and keeping the system as a private network off the internet, also easily accomplished.
yes, it's only a few kilobytes per vote. but it's a bunch of lookups in large databases (credentials for instance), with multiple of those happening at the same time, too.

Good question. The answer is “No”. Offline and decentralized aggregation is a great defense against funny businesses. It’s nearly unhackable and fraud is in the dozens not thousands today.
Given the one hundred or so sworn affadavits signed by witnesses to election fraud in 2020, I disagree with your assertions. IMO we not only can make the election process all electronic and secure we must.

yes, it's only a few kilobytes per vote. but it's a bunch of lookups in large databases (credentials for instance), with multiple of those happening at the same time, too.
Definitely there would have to be management of the user access to limit demand surge. There would probably have to be days or even weeks allocated to spread the load. I'm not seeing the storage issue, a few hundred million small data sets is nothing for a modern database.

Given the one hundred or so sworn affadavits signed by witnesses to election fraud in 2020, I disagree with your assertions. IMO we not only can make the election process all electronic and secure we must.
You mean these eye witnesses?

F5F9BA99-88E8-40C4-B0EF-DD35055996C9.jpeg

003E1CE0-39EC-4175-AEA3-CD2E2F182A65.jpeg

Forum List

Back