Irene: the unserious crisis that Obama didn’t let go to waste

Tell it to the people who have 8 feet of unserious water in their house

Two bridges out for me to get from my regular Point A to Point B route in central Vermont. But hey, it was just media hype, ya know.

I'm out of power for at least 7 days (according to CL&P), and since I have well water, that means I'm also out of water for at least 7 days. But apparently, it's so un-serious that I shouldn't even mention it.

Some Texan will tell you to drink your own urine. If you won't, you're unpatriotic.

It was a bad storm for the most part not the devastating storm of the century ...But the left needs to build up the devastation so they can pat Obama on the back for another superhuman effort of leadership.... :(

Ironically, you fool, those of us who have been directly affected have given little thought to politics. It's not our priority, like it is for the Moron Brigade.

I'd hate to think the media overhyped Irene just to give Obama a faux environmental crisis to show how "on top of things" he is to paint an allegory to Bush's treatment of Hurricane Katrina, and to counter the criticisms that he's just vacationing while the country's going to shit...

I'd hate to think that.

I found it quite interesting that we were getting weather updates from the president. Why would the Commander-in-Chief man the 24-hour weather channel to tell the American people that hurricane Irene could be an historic hurricane? Could it have anything to do with his abysmal approval rating and the fact that his administration’s philosophy is, “Never let a serious crisis go to waste.” (see 8sec.video)

The fact is Politicians and the Media hyped hurricane Irene for political expediency. Toby Harnden outlines the strange relationship between press and politicians in his article, “Perfect Storm of Hype: Politicians, the media and the Hurricane Irene apocalypse that never was.” (see article) Read more... Creating Orwellian Worldview

If the government takes action and almost no people die, it's proof the government didn't need to take action. If the government didn't take action land lots of people died, then it's proof government is incompetent.

Yep... he did such a great job with the floods in Tennessee and really handled the fires in Texas like a real pro.

Chris Christie is just as guilty as the rest of the idiots running around saying the sky is falling.... this was nothing more that a tropical depression. I watched the media stand in the streets of NY panting like orgasmic lovers over the impending disaster, all while guys in the background delivered pizzas on bicycles..... :lol:

What a joke!

Why did the right wingers get so mad when I suggested most on this board live in trailers? Notice how many said, "You could get homeowners insurance"? Even when it's pointed out that most home owners insurance doesn't cover "flooding"? More "proof" they live in trailers? Cuz they certainly aren't home owners.

That's why anybody with an once of sense, unless you live atop Mt. McKinley, purchases flood insurance.

The cost is through the roof, stupid.

Republicans are ticked because the Obama administration gave appropriate preparation for a major impending hurricane. By coordinating Federal, State and local resources and ensuring that people in potentially hazardous locations were evacuated they prevented much larger loss of life

So...what is a Republican supposed top do?

1. Claim that the Obama administration overreacted to a minor storm
2. Ridicule the amount of damage
3. Mock Obama for being on top of a major threat

The Bush administration got caught with their pants down with Katrina. They left it to local authorities and did nothing after the storm had passed and damage appeared minimal. FEMA has changed a lot since the days of Bush where FEMA and Homeland Security engaged in an open turf war. This time, they were ready and the coordianted Federal, State and local response has worked

They absolutely HATE IT that FEMA has been a vastly improved, streamlined agency still managing to operate with moderate funding, having learned lessons the hard way from Katrina. What we're seeing is outright jealousy that there are top-notch people OTHER THAN REPUBLICANS who know how to run a competent organization.

I found it quite interesting that we were getting weather updates from the president. Why would the Commander-in-Chief man the 24-hour weather channel to tell the American people that hurricane Irene could be an historic hurricane? Could it have anything to do with his abysmal approval rating and the fact that his administration’s philosophy is, “Never let a serious crisis go to waste.” (see 8sec.video)

The fact is Politicians and the Media hyped hurricane Irene for political expediency. Toby Harnden outlines the strange relationship between press and politicians in his article, “Perfect Storm of Hype: Politicians, the media and the Hurricane Irene apocalypse that never was.” (see article) Read more... Creating Orwellian Worldview

If the government takes action and almost no people die, it's proof the government didn't need to take action. If the government didn't take action land lots of people died, then it's proof government is incompetent.

Yep... he did such a great job with the floods in Tennessee and really handled the fires in Texas like a real pro.

Chris Christie is just as guilty as the rest of the idiots running around saying the sky is falling.... this was nothing more that a tropical depression. I watched the media stand in the streets of NY panting like orgasmic lovers over the impending disaster, all while guys in the background delivered pizzas on bicycles..... :lol:

What a joke!

And what more did you want, pray tell?

Conference Call on the Flooding in Tennessee with FEMA Administrator Fugate, Governor Phil Bredesen, Nashville Mayor Karl Dean, SVP American Red Cross Joe Becker | The White House
I have to say that FEMA and the White House have both been absolutely supportive. Very quickly FEMA was on the ground here before the raindrops started falling. This is the Administrator’s second visit down here. The President was on the phone to me before the sun came up practically on Monday morning. Slightly after it came up, other people from the White House had called and checked in with us and helped. I've had a couple long conversations with Secretary Napolitano about how she could help.

And ~~

FEMA: Texas*Wildfires

What a joke!

A joke? you think the hundreds of businesses and homes lost in Vermont are a joke?

Just shut up before you look even more stupid.

What a joke!

Hey, asshole. Who the fuck do you think you are? Nothing more than a tropical depression? It was a fucking CAT 1 hurricane. At least 40 people have died as a result. VT, NJ, ME and other areas are seeing historic flooding. Whole towns are cut off. Supplies have to be flown in. Billions of dollars in damage. I'm sitting here without running water. I have a generator to provide some power. And you want to act like it's not a big deal? Go fuck yourself.

Last edited:

Apparently, you were living in a cave when Katrina hit.

Hurricanes are a gamble. Most of the time they turn out to be less intense, but do you really want to be the leader that didn't take it seriously when they turn out to be a disaster?

No you don't. As evidence of that, George Bush and Katrina. He looked like a moron. I don't think Obama "hyped" anything. It was only responsible to tell people to take this seriously.

I mean, I think Bloomberg and Christie also did a pretty good job.

Hurricanes are a gamble. Most of the time they turn out to be less intense, but do you really want to be the leader that didn't take it seriously when they turn out to be a disaster?

No you don't. As evidence of that, George Bush and Katrina. He looked like a moron. I don't think Obama "hyped" anything. It was only responsible to tell people to take this seriously.

People forget there was a sigh of relief after Katrina hit. The storm hit to the east of New Orleans and initial damage was minimal. It was not till the next day when the levees were breached that the disaster occured

Irene was much the same way. The initial storm damage was minimal...it was the massive flooding afterwards that caused the damage

Republicans are ticked because the Obama administration gave appropriate preparation for a major impending hurricane. By coordinating Federal, State and local resources and ensuring that people in potentially hazardous locations were evacuated they prevented much larger loss of life

So...what is a Republican supposed top do?

1. Claim that the Obama administration overreacted to a minor storm
2. Ridicule the amount of damage
3. Mock Obama for being on top of a major threat

The Bush administration got caught with their pants down with Katrina. They left it to local authorities and did nothing after the storm had passed and damage appeared minimal. FEMA has changed a lot since the days of Bush where FEMA and Homeland Security engaged in an open turf war. This time, they were ready and the coordianted Federal, State and local response has worked

They absolutely HATE IT that FEMA has been a vastly improved, streamlined agency still managing to operate with moderate funding, having learned lessons the hard way from Katrina. What we're seeing is outright jealousy that there are top-notch people OTHER THAN REPUBLICANS who know how to run a competent organization.

Yeah, that must be it. :rolleyes:

It was a bad storm for the most part not the devastating storm of the century ...But the left needs to build up the devastation so they can pat Obama on the back for another superhuman effort of leadership.... :(

Ironically, you fool, those of us who have been directly affected have given little thought to politics. It's not our priority, like it is for the Moron Brigade.

Is this the same thing you told Democrats trying to make political hay out of Katrina? Now is not the time for politics?

People forget there was a sigh of relief after Katrina hit. The storm hit to the east of New Orleans and initial damage was minimal. It was not till the next day when the levees were breached that the disaster occured

Irene was much the same way. The initial storm damage was minimal...it was the massive flooding afterwards that caused the damage

I remember too well. The early Monday morning announcements that NOLA had dodged a bullet.

By Tuesday, I couldn't watch the TV without going into tears as my beloved city filled with water.

Not to diminish what happened to the folks in Pass Christian or Biloxi or the rest of Mississippi. It's just that NOLA was my home at that time.

Unvaribly, the president is screwed when stuff like this happens. He can neither do too much or too little in some people's eyes.

Some of it is far. Bush did faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr too little in Katrina. He should have cut his vacation short and been on duty.

Some of it is not. Obama seemed to have learned all the lessons from Bush and was available and plugged into the situation. FEMA wasn't a colossal fuck up. The director on the ground wasn't some political crony fuck-up, the governors of the states cooperated (yes, i am directing that at Kathleen Babineux Blanco) and the blow was mitigated.

Mitigation is what it is all about too. No matter what, you can't get around the fact that a Hurricane is a force of nature that will destroy man's best laid schemes no matter how prepared.

Forum List

Back