Iraqi citizenship: Anyone but Israelis

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
REBUILDING IN THE GULF
Iraqi citizenship: Anyone but Israelis

Draft bill of rights singles out Jewish state

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: July 23, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

The draft of Iraq's new constitution specifically excludes Israelis from obtaining citizenship.

The document [pdf file], updated July 20, says:

"Any individual with another nationality (except for Israel) may obtain Iraqi nationality after a period of residency inside the borders of Iraq of not less than ten years for an Arab or twenty years for any other nationality, as long as he has good character and behavior, and has no criminal judgment against him from the Iraqi authorities during the time of his residency on the territory of the Iraqi republic.

The draft bill of rights also says an Iraqi can have more than one citizenship "as the nationality is not Israeli."

The Shiite, Kurdish and Sunni framers of Iraq's constitution are sharply divided on major issues, including the country's identity as an Arab nation and the role of Islam and federalism, some members have said privately according to the Associated Press.

Some Shiite Muslims, who want a greater role for Islam in civil law, are advocating a proposal opponents say could erode women's rights.

This week they offered assurance they would complete the project after a move by Sunni Muslims to suspend work after the killings of two colleagues.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45407

The funny thing is that the only people in Israel likely to ever want Iraqi citizenship are the muslim arabs living there. This "edict" won't affect the Jews one bit, it only punishes the muslims. Other than that, I would have to say that it is their constitution, let them put whatever they want in it. Things like that can always be amended later on if the situation in the ME ever changes, subject to the will of the democracy.

HorhayAtAMD said:
The funny thing is that the only people in Israel likely to ever want Iraqi citizenship are the muslim arabs living there. This "edict" won't affect the Jews one bit, it only punishes the muslims. Other than that, I would have to say that it is their constitution, let them put whatever they want in it. Things like that can always be amended later on if the situation in the ME ever changes, subject to the will of the democracy.

RIght... but the disturbing thing is that we free'd them - in part now to spread democracy - and now they are continuing with their racist views of jews...

HorhayAtAMD said:

Yeah, I bet Jews are just flocking to the border ........ :dunno:

-Cp said:
RIght... but the disturbing thing is that we free'd them - in part now to spread democracy - and now they are continuing with their racist views of jews...

To be expected. We took out Saddam, not their entire culture. An entire system of beliefs will have to change before they even come close to what we know as democracy.

-Cp said:
I wouldn't sweat it. We quit the king and still were racist and slaveholding for a long time. Societies evolve over time. It is only logical that with the upheaval of Saddam and the other idiots, they will hang onto a few things in a sort of comfort zone.

Forum List

Back