Iran Women at Rio Olympics

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
The woman who fled the regime no doubt feel they are finally free of those religious crazies who make up ridiculous laws like women not attending sporting events.

10846259_1528687790733549_2254789951225384615_n.jpg

“When I lived in Iran, [as] a little girl I wanted to go to the football stadium. But I couldn’t because I was a woman. Sports should bring people together; it should be everybody’s right to enter a stadium.”

On 14 August, images of an Iranian woman at the Rio Olympics began making its rounds on the internet. The woman was attending a volleyball match, where she sported a t-shirt and held a banner, both of read: “Let Iranian women enter their stadiums.”

Under International Olympic Committee rules, political statements at the games are banned. However, the woman stood her ground as security officials asked her to take down the banner and leave the stadium. She went on to hold her banner high at another volleyball game.

The woman was Darya Safai, the fonder of the “Let Iranian Women Enter Their Stadiums” campaign, which fights for the right of women in Iran to be able to attend all-male sporting events in their country. Iranianwomen have been banned from the all-male games since shortly after the Islamic revolution in 1979, and Darya believes that the stadium ban is a symbol for the “many discriminations” women in her country face on a daily basis.

Continue reading at:

Darya Safai: The story behind the Iranian woman forced to take down her banner at the Olympics?

Forum List

Back