Iran Threatens 'Lightning' Response

Hahahaha idiot. Typical ignorant, compliant, thoughtless, gun ho, American Moron. Your heading for a disaster and few of you seem to capable of any thought of American falability. Dont you people ever learn anything? You have by far the most advanced, technological killing machine, the world has ever seen. Yet Sadam's peasant, goat herder, insurgent rabble, killed you in your thousands, tied down 100 thousand plus troops for years, cost your nation trillions of dollars, lost you influence and control in the region and prestige throughout the world.

That's not a fair assessment of the Iraqi insurgency and civil war. Many fighters were former Iraqi soldiers or Fedayeen Saddam. Also the flow of foreign expertise from Iran, Hezbollah, and al Qaida, plus the brutal sectarianism, made the insurgency much more potent than a group of peasants and goat herders. On top of that, our lack of preparedness for the occupation was as much as an enemy the insurgents.

Not that I'm advocating an invasion of Iran. I think our military would do an incredible job of smashing the Iranian armed forces, but that regime's assymetric capabilities domestically and in the region would cause havoc. It would be more than capable of maintaining a long insurgency, sabotaging the nearby shipping lanes, hurting us in Afghanistan even more so than it did in Iraq, destabilizing Lebanon and Israel, etc.

We are on two side of Iran still.

Our presence in Iraq now is negligible since the withdrawal in December. I'm not sure but I thought it was down to only handfulls of military advisers. Besides, launching an attack on Iran from either Iraq or Afghanistan doesn't seem very plausible. The former has a decent relationship with Tehran and would have a severe legitimacy problem if it supported an American invasion of its Shiite neighbor. And the latter is a landlocked country in which we are already having logistical problems, nevermind supporting the resources required to invade a country the size of Iran.

Our presence in Iraq now is negligible since the withdrawal in December. I'm not sure but I thought it was down to only handfulls of military advisers.

Why are you not counting US "private armies" in Iraq?

Because I'm unaware of them. What private armies are you talking about?

You really shouldn't make posts of this nature because they leave you open to a charge of being an uneducated cretin.
Of course, as a sound British chap, I would never suggest you're a total moron incapable of a simple google search, but some people may do so.

The US has a habit of using mercenaries when the government don't want to admit there is a US presence in a given area.
CIA bombing of Indonesia, Vietnam and so on.

You really shouldn't make posts of this nature because they leave you open to a charge of being an uneducated cretin.
Of course, as a sound British chap, I would never suggest you're a total moron incapable of a simple google search, but some people may do so.

The US has a habit of using mercenaries when the government don't want to admit there is a US presence in a given area.
CIA bombing of Indonesia, Vietnam and so on.

It's not my job to do your research. Anyway, the original point I was addressing was that we somehow had a presence in Iraq that could pose a threat to Iran. A quick search gave a couple different numbers, but the "private armies" we have in Iraq consist of ~5,000 security contractors tasked with protecting American personnel and sites. Which doesn't change my point that our presence in Iraq, at least as a threat to Iran, is negligible.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back