Iran Dumps U.S. Dollar For Oil Trades

coolgeee

Jul 21, 2008
NYC Area
Why are we really targeting Iran?

Could it have to do with them dumping our dollar?

Iran, OPEC's second-largest producer, has stopped conducting oil transactions in U.S. dollars, a top Oil Ministry official said Wednesday, in a concerted attempt to reduce reliance on Washington at a time of tension over Tehran's nuclear program and suspected involvement in Iraq.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's President, has called the dollar a 'worthless piece of paper.'

comments welcomed

Who cares what they do?

Who cares?
Why would you even be reading or posting on a politically inclined, pro American message board if you feel "who cares", especially towards a country we might get into a nuclear war with!

I don't mean to come across rough, but we must understand why our leaders lead us into conflicts in the first place.

Last edited:

Iran, OPEC's second-largest producer, has stopped conducting oil transactions in U.S. dollars, a top Oil Ministry official said Wednesday, in a concerted attempt to reduce reliance on Washington at a time of tension over Tehran's nuclear program and suspected involvement in Iraq.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's President, has called the dollar a 'worthless piece of paper.'

comments welcomed

Well lets see, we have been targeting Iran for a few years now, and they starting dumping our dollar when?

Oh and don't be an alarmist, we are not going to get into a "nuclear war" with Iran. Iran has no nukes yet, and when they do, they will never have as many or as good of ones as us.

A "nuclear war" between us and Iran would be like a fight between a 98 pound weakling and a heavy weight. Iran might blow one up here, but we could erase them from the face of the earth if they did. So I really doubt it will happen. Iran just wants you to be afraid, and it appears it is working.

Last edited:
Well lets see, we have been targeting Iran for a few years now, and they starting dumping our dollar when?

Oh and don't be an alarmist, we are not going to get into a "nuclear war" with Iran. Iran has no nukes yet, and when they do, they will never have as many or as good of ones as us.

A "nuclear war" between us and Iran would be like a fight between a 98 pound weakling and a heavy weight. Iran might blow one up here, but we could erase them from the face of the earth if they did. So I really doubt it will happen. Iran just wants you to be afraid, and it appears it is working.

Dont use common sense and facts. You blow the whole conspiracy.

What's the difference between being afraid and being prepared? Iran is defying the UN. It supports Hezbollah. It's been tied to the Shia fundamentalist militias in Iraq.

What happens if Iran controls ALL the oil in the Middle East? Especially since we appear to not have the sense to drill our shit?

No.

Iran is irrelevant.

The oil exports from Iran account for less than 0.1% of all international trade. All trading in oil accounts for about 1% of global capital flows.

The idea that moving oil off the dollar standard would mean the dollar would end its status as the world's reserve currency is silly. 20% of all currency transactions do not include the dollar in any form already.

Last edited:
What's the difference between being afraid and being prepared? Iran is defying the UN. It supports Hezbollah. It's been tied to the Shia fundamentalist militias in Iraq.

What happens if Iran controls ALL the oil in the Middle East? Especially since we appear to not have the sense to drill our shit?

You are preaching to the choir my friend.

I was simply discounting the Fear tactic they are using saying we are going to get into a Nuclear war with Iran. What we should fear from a Nuclear Iran is not a Nuclear war, for the reasons I stated. What we should fear is:

A) who they might share their Nukes with

B) How they would be able to dominate the Middle east through fear with them.

I have been screaming for 5 years now about how we need to stop Iran from Getting nukes at all costs. I just do not think we need to fear a direct Nuclear war with them, that does not mean we should not fear them having Nukes.

Last edited:
You are preaching to the choir my friend.

I was simply discounting the Fear tactic they are using saying we are going to get into a Nuclear war with Iran. What we should fear from a Nuclear Iran is not a Nuclear war, for the reasons I stated. What we should fear is:

A) who they might share their Nukes with

B) How they would be able to dominate the Middle east through fear with them.

I have been screaming for 5 years now about how we need to stop Iran from Getting nukes at all costs. I just do not think we need to fear a direct Nuclear war with them, that does not mean we should not fear them having Nukes.

We shouldn't fear ANYTHING, Charles.

The strength of the USA has more to do with it economic power than its military.

Sans a viable economy, our military will naturally have to be pared back.

So when an oil producing nation like Iran elects not to accept petrodollars for their petroeum?

That IS a significant blow to American power.

Who cares?

Who CARES?

Patriots of this land should care.

The strength of the USA has more to do with it economic power than its military.

Sans a viable economy, our military will naturally have to be pared back.

So when an oil producing nation like Iran elects not to accept petrodollars for their petroeum?

That IS a significant blow to American power.

Who cares?

Who CARES?

Patriots of this land should care.

Well, yeah, we should care. But how much should we legally or morally be allowed to do about it? It's Iran's oil, not ours.

I somehow think that Toro's analysis is a bit off, I'd like to see sources for the numbers he posted. It doesn't seem right that Iran's oil has such little effect on us. And I'd like to see what the 20% of goods are that are sold internationally via other currencies.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting that we should do anything about it.

But here's one thing I know...there are more petro-dollars in circulation thoughout the world than there are dollars in circulation in America.

If they all migrated back to this nation?

Wow!

I'm not suggesting that we should do anything about it.

But here's one thing I know...there are more petro-dollars in circulation thoughout the world than there are dollars in circulation in America.

If they all migrated back to this nation?

Wow!

Exactly. And that's precisely the reason why we strong-arm the oil nations. It's not JUST about Iran. Or even Iraq for that matter. It's the statement we make in doing so, that if you fuck with us economically, you'll be blasted back to the stone age.

Eventually though, we're going to pick on someone that's got a close enough ally that would be willing to retaliate in kind. Iran's got a few.

Have you seen the latest demonization in the media regarding Venezuela? Now all the sudden Venezuela is harboring terrorists, and according to Fox News, they could be the next breeding ground. Give me a fucking break.

When does it begin to become obvious to everyone that the oil nations who don't play ball are our main targets? And when does it start to become obvious that it isn't about terrorism?

Last edited:
I do NOT think Iran is dumping dollars because we are strong arming them.

I DO think their financial ministers are (much the Saudi government did in the late 70's when their decision to convert their dollars into gold causes a 550% spike in gold prices) seeing that the value of their petro dollars is decline and they just don't want to hold or trade for them anymore.

If they loved us (as Saudi Arabia's government does now) they might STILL be making this decision.

Besides the fact Iran would have to use a dirty bomb in order to strike us, considering they don't have an ICBM.

Besides the fact Iran would have to use a dirty bomb in order to strike us, considering they don't have an ICBM.

Well, not exactly as they could just load oh on a boat and slip it in. I think that is the biggest threat actually. No Nation in their right mind is going to luanch ICBM's at us. Because we would turn them into a sheet of glass. No the really danger is a sneaky nuke attack. It is particularly scary because an attack like that would be hard to trace and we would have a hard time proving who was responsible, and therefore might be unable to retaliate.

While should Iran get involved in a nuclear confrontation with the USA that they can't win, when they can so easily play an economic card against us that they can't lose?

Last edited:
While should Iran get involved in a nuclear confrontation with the USA that they can't win, when they can so easily play an economic card against us that they can't lose?

The thing is, they would lose either one. How do they win an economic war? You don't think we'll be in there changing regimes REGARDLESS? When have we ever sat idly by while a militarily weak nation challenges us economically? As we speak, Iran and Venezuela are trying to persuade the rest of OPEC to dump the petrodollar, and who are the two most villified nations on TV right now?

I don't see how anyone can say that scrapping the petrodollar wouldn't affect the US in a drastic way. We'd be a third world nation if it weren't for petrodollar hegemony, and Dollar hegemony all around. We abandoned a standard of sound currency with the stipulation to the rest of the world that they trade in Dollars or they pay the price. If they play ball, they prosper, and if they get out of line, they eat bombs. It's been that way now for decades.

The only problem is that we OURSELVES have pissed all over the Dollar so much, that it has become a matter of whether or not to stick with an ailing currency that could force you into economic chaos, or you get bombed and invaded for stepping out of line and going with a currency that has some kind of value.

The US Dollar doesn't have to last forever just because it's the US Dollar. Just ask the Romans.

I do NOT think Iran is dumping dollars because we are strong arming them.

I don't think that either, and that's not what I said. I said the opposite. We strong arm them because they are dumping dollars. We made the deal with Saudi Arabia in the 70's that they would trade in Dollars in exchange for military protection. Now, we have a few OPEC countries who would rather not take the loss of holding and trading in, dollars. And rightfully so. Perhaps they don't have a blurry view of the future, and are able to realize that the US isn't going to be the perpetual sole economic power forever.

Forum List

Back