Internet Search Engines Swing Elections?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
5267464508_391254fbcd_o-300x174.jpg

Okay, Discover Online is one of my favorite sites with all sorts of interesting stuff. But this piece gives me pause.

The search engine manipulation effect (SEME) and its possible impact on the outcomes of elections.

Hunh? And then comes this:

Given that many elections are won by small margins, our results suggest that a search engine company has the power to influence the results of a substantial number of elections with impunity. The impact of such manipulations would be especially large in countries dominated by a single search engine company.”

Well, thank goodness we don't have that here. Right now, I have at least five search engines so I guess I'm safe from this manipulation.

Read more @ Study shows that internet search engines have the power to swing elections. - Seriously Science

As you are retired, so to speak, from the USA I might add, as I am, it certainly helps the "dumbed down effect". Critical thinking, a seeming lost art, is certainly affected. But honestly, elections have been the victims of outside influence long before search engines. Unions, bless them, and next door friends have long been doing the same. However, tight or close races do indicate a high degree of thought, if you will. Vanilla vs strawberry vs chocolate will live on forever at Baskin & Robbins.

Forum List

Back