International outrage over prison terms for journalists.

bianco

VIP Member
Aug 23, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Egyptian prison terms for Al-Jazeera journalists spark international outcry | South China Morning Post

Egyptian prison terms for Al-Jazeera journalists spark international outcry

John Kerry embarrassed by long jail terms handed down just a day after the US restored military and economic aid to Egypt.

International outrage at Egypt’s brutal crackdown on dissent intensified after three journalists for Al-Jazeera English were sentenced to up to a decade in jail for endangering Egypt’s national security in a verdict that dealt both a shocking blow to Egyptian free speech and a humiliating rebuke to American attempts to moderate the worst excesses of Egypt’s security state.

US secretary of state John Kerry said it was “chilling and draconian”, British prime minister David Cameron condemned the verdict as “completely appalling” while Australia’s foreign minister, Julie Bishop – whose fellow countryman, Peter Greste, was one of those convicted – said that the “Australian government simply cannot understand it based on the evidence that was presented in the case”.
Australia, the Netherlands and Britain all summoned their respective Egyptian ambassadors to explain the verdict in what marked the fiercest international condemnation of Egypt’s crackdown on dissent since the murder of over 600 anti-government protesters last August.

#####

Wonder for how long Australia's allies will stay outraged?
...a few days, a few weeks, a few months?

Wonder what they'll actually do to Egypt to secure the release of all the journalists...if anything.
Talk is cheap, Australia needs action to free its journalist.

Islamic justice...LOL
What a joke!
Doesn't surprise me one iota what's happened to journalist Peter Greste.
Another Aussie nailed to the cross of injustice in a foreign land.

You'd have to wonder just when Aussies are going learn to stay out of Muslim countries.

Egyptian prison terms for Al-Jazeera journalists spark international outcry | South China Morning Post

But it also represented a shaming slap-down to American diplomacy, coming only a day after John Kerry, America’s top diplomat, landed in Egypt for a brief meeting with Egypt’s president, Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi, in which he raised the impending trial in their discussion and called for Egypt to improve its human rights record.
That a guilty verdict was still reached hours later, despite Kerry confirming the return of US military and economic aid to Egypt, represented an embarrassment for US diplomacy, analysts argued.

#####

Another Islamic country treating the Christian West with utter contempt.
Simple solution;

Make Egypt pay!

Tell 'em they're not getting any more military or economic aid until they free all the journalists...and get with the program.

But it also represented a shaming slap-down to American diplomacy, coming only a day after John Kerry, America’s top diplomat, landed in Egypt for a brief meeting with Egypt’s president, Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi, in which he raised the impending trial in their discussion and called for Egypt to improve its human rights record.
That a guilty verdict was still reached hours later, despite Kerry confirming the return of US military and economic aid to Egypt, represented an embarrassment for US diplomacy, analysts argued.

#####

Another Islamic country treating the Christian West with utter contempt.
Simple solution;

Make Egypt pay!

Tell 'em they're not getting any more military or economic aid until they free all the journalists...and get with the program.

I am not clear as to how "AL JEZEERAH" is run-----but my impression has been
that it is a SAUDI enterprise----actually something sorta sanctioned by the Saudi
government.. ???? am I confused??? It would seem to me that if
"AL JEZEERAH" is Saudi------then the "spit in the face" is at Saudi Arabia--
and not at the USA ????? I am a bit amazed at the HUGE
number of reporters in trouble over there. It is almost like Egypt is saying
"WE LIVE TO SUPPRESS FREE SPEECH"

Forum List

Back