Interesting Poll On Pro-Choice/Pro-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abbey Normal said:
Jurisprudence based on manufactured penumbras and emanations = bad jurisprudence

Funny...most Constitutional scholars have no problem with applying the intent of the Constitution. I suppose you can explain how that differs from the Court inferring the right to judicial review way back when?

Or is it that you want State governments once again to criminalize the purchase of contraception or intermarriage?

jillian said:
Funny...most Constitutional scholars have no problem with applying the intent of the Constitution. I suppose you can explain how that differs from the Court inferring the right to judicial review way back when?

Or is it that you want State governments once again to criminalize the purchase of contraception or intermarriage?

What I want is for women who want to "stick it to the man" to find another way to do it other than abortion on demand. Leave fetuses out of it.

dilloduck said:
What I want is for women who want to "stick it to the man" to find another way to do it other than abortion on demand. Leave fetuses out of it.

Maybe men should stop trying to control women by controlling their bodies?

What on earth does "sticking it to the man" have to do with early termination of a pregnancy? And where are all those guys when they have to pay child support?

BTW, in a good relationship, the parties are going to decide together. In a bad relationship or non-existent one the State shouldn't be legislating interpersonal relationships by giving men veto power either.

jillian said:
Maybe men should stop trying to control women by controlling their bodies?

What on earth does "sticking it to the man" have to do with early termination of a pregnancy? And where are all those guys when they have to pay child support?

BTW, in a good relationship, the parties are going to decide together. In a bad relationship or non-existent one the State shouldn't be legislating interpersonal relationships by giving men veto power either.

I've commented repeatedly that the abortion debate is merely a womens' lib issue run amok. Why shouldnt a man have the right to opt out of child support--it doesn't even harm a mass of cells ?

jillian said:

It's not a question of judicial review, though that has it's problems too. It's a question of that review being accomplished by manufacturing non-existent rights via imagining that they emanate from other Clauses. and "Applying the intent of the Constitution" when it is not in there, is as agenda-driven as anything the other two branches could ever come up with.

Abbey Normal said:
It's not a question of judicial review, though that has it's problems too. It's a question of that review being accomplished by manufacturing non-existent rights via imagining that they emanate from other Clauses. and "Applying the intent of the Constitution" when it is not in there, is as agenda-driven as anything the other two branches could ever come up with.

Exactly--I want non-existent rights too!

jillian said:
Now you're just being goofy. :poke:

Afraid not---and what's this MEN trying to control womens bodies shit ! Haven't you seen the numbers of women who are anti-abortion? Have "men" issues do ya?

dilloduck said:
Afraid not---and what's this MEN trying to control womens bodies shit ! Haven't you seen the numbers of women who are anti-abortion? Have "men" issues do ya?

Actually, about 80% of anti-choice activists are men, it seems.

And I love men. :tng:

...just don't think government should control women for men.

got control issues?? :dev3:

Abbey Normal said:

Actually, trying to pretend the Constitution is a literal document is more agenda driven and more "activist" than anything else you're discussing.

And if you think judicial review "has its problems", then you're missing the point of the Court and the fact that its the last bastion of protection between tyrannical government and people... or it's supposed to be.

jillian said:
Actually, about 80% of anti-choice activists are men, it seems.

And I love men. :tng:

...just don't think government should control women for men.

got control issues?? :dev3:

Got a link to that stat of 80% of anti-choice activists being men? I don't think government should control men for women either but you seem to be ok with it. Why?

jillian said:
Actually, trying to pretend the Constitution is a literal document is more agenda driven and more "activist" than anything else you're discussing.

And if you think judicial review "has its problems", then you're missing the point of the Court and the fact that its the last bastion of protection between tyrannical government and people... or it's supposed to be.

How does legalized abortion save us all from a tyrannical government?

dilloduck said:
Got a link to that stat of 80% of anti-choice activists being men? I don't think government should control men for women either but you seem to be ok with it. Why?

How is the fact that the government is prohibited from prohibiting reproductive choice during the early parts of a pregnancy exercising control over men?

Like I said, if the woman in a man's life doesn't think enough of him to consult with him on the issue, then seems they have more problems than her pregnancy. But that's not the problem of government, is it?

Someone's got to have final say...and as imperfect as it is, it's the woman who's being affected; so it's the woman who has the choice.

Time to head home!

laterz!

jillian said:
How is the fact that the government is prohibited from prohibiting reproductive choice during the early parts of a pregnancy exercising control over men?

Like I said, if the woman in a man's life doesn't think enough of him to consult with him on the issue, then seems they have more problems than her pregnancy. But that's not the problem of government, is it?

Someone's got to have final say...and as imperfect as it is, it's the woman who's being affected; so it's the woman who has the choice.

Time to head home!

laterz!

You finally got down to your error---your assumption that the woman is the only one affected by a pregnancy. What an ego !

jillian said:
How is the fact that the government is prohibited from prohibiting reproductive choice during the early parts of a pregnancy exercising control over men?!

Uh? Do you know how making a baby works? The baby is NOT the woman's property, to decide to kill...actually the courts have ruled that very THING...A MAN has NO REPRODUCTIVE rights under current laws. The women, have ALL the rights...even MORE rights than the unborn HUMANS within their bodies.

jillian said:

I never actually saw anyone admit that they thought the Constitution was not meant to be taken literally. So when it says that Congress shall make no law prohibiting the freedom of speech, should that not be taken literally either? How about the part where the President can only serve two terms?

The judiciary is not the last bastion of protection against tyranny; the right to bear arms is.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
gop_jeff said:
I never actually saw anyone admit that they thought the Constitution was not meant to be taken literally. So when it says that Congress shall make no law prohibiting the freedom of speech, should that not be taken literally either? How about the part where the President can only serve two terms?

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Constitutional analysis doesn't say ignore the words...which is what you're saying. The way it's done and has always been done is that the Court looks at the words and, to apply the words to the issue at hand, the Court determines what the intent behind the words is.

If these issues really interest you. Take a course in Con Law. You seem like you'd enjoy it.

The judiciary is not the last bastion of protection against tyranny; the right to bear arms is.

Well...the Second Amendment protects that. Yet, if I had to guess, you're one of those who would like to see that right be construed in the broadest, most liberal sense possible, so as to protect that right and save it from the slippery slope of infringement. I actually agree (within the reasonable limit of maybe keeping people from having cannons and 50 mm guns on their premises). That's all I expect of the Court as regards the other Amendments.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Constitutional analysis doesn't say ignore the words...which is what you're saying. The way it's done and has always been done is that the Court looks at the words and, to apply the words to the issue at hand, the Court determines what the intent behind the words is.
OK, so the text from the 5th amendment "No person shall be .... deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" is meant to be taken... how? It seems to me that a person can't be executed without a trial. But that's what abortion does.

Abortion denies a person the right to life ... because the unborn baby is a person.

The argument that abortion is all about a woman's right to choose what to do with her body is specious. The unborn baby has a genetic structure separate and distinct from its mother's. Unlike an organ, the unborn baby is capable of living separate from the body on its own.

The unborn baby has its own body, but the woman now has a right to decide what to do with her baby's body.

In addition, the 10th amendment states that states have the right to decide on granting or denying rights that are not enumerated in the Constitution. Roe vs. Wade took that right away. Up until 1973, states did vote on abortion. The voters of some states decided against it, the Supreme Court took the right of voters and their duly elected representatives to decide on the issue.

I'm glad you got away from all that silly Constitutional stuff and got down to brass tacks. Now THIS is the proper way to covince everyone that abortion should be legal!

:rock:

dilloduck said:
I'm glad you got away from all that silly Constitutional stuff and got down to brass tacks. Now THIS is the proper way to covince everyone that abortion should be legal!

:rock:

except you forgot to put 'only' in front of 'the woman'. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back