Installing a new bathroom sink drain.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Product reviews indicate lots of trouble with setting the drain so it doesn't leak. I have installed many of these as a maintenance man and offer these tips.

1. First and foremost. You'll need 'plumbers' putty' to get a good seal so buy some when you buy the drain assembly.

2. Remove old drain and clean sink thoroughly, especially the hollow area that drains the overflow. Dry the sink thoroughly.

3. The two parts of concern are the shiny flange, and the main drain body that it threads onto.

4. Leaving the rubber gasket on the shiny flange add a 'worm' of putty to the underside, enough so it squishes out when you push it firmly into the sink hole.

5. Holding the flange so it doesn't move, screw the main body into it from underneath, but only until it 'catches'. One turn is enough to hold it until the main tightening nut underneath is engaged.

6. Work the large rubber gasket upward while pulling down on the main body. Turn the nut just until it too 'catches', one turn is enough to hold it.

7. Keeping pressure on the shiny flange turn the main body to tighten it to the shiny flange. You will have to turn the whole thing somewhat in order to aim the drain lift lever towards the wall.

8. Finally, tighten the nut firmly, keeping the main body from turning as well. If the sink leaks around the shiny flange you probably disturbed the putty and will have to repeat the process.

9, Assembling the rest of the drainpipes is pretty straight forward. Good luck.

Tip#2.

If you have a sink that leaks around the flange, but the rest of the drain is in good condition you can restore the seal by working some waterproof silicone into the edge with your finger. Clean up with damp cloth or paper towel. Allow to dry for a day before using the sink. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Product reviews indicate lots of trouble with setting the drain so it doesn't leak. I have installed many of these as a maintenance man and offer these tips.

1. First and foremost. You'll need 'plumbers' putty' to get a good seal so buy some when you buy the drain assembly.
No, you can stop right there. The new plastic kits come with a better and more reliable gasket.

No, you can stop right there. The new plastic kits come with a better and more reliable gasket.
We don't like the look of the plastic drains as they are not hidden within a cabinet. However, we use plastic in all of the kitchen sink drains.

We don't like the look of the plastic drains as they are not hidden within a cabinet. However, we use plastic in all of the kitchen sink drains.
You're confused. Your friends can tell you why and save me the trouble.

You're confused. Your friends can tell you why and save me the trouble.
Confused about what? I put a plastic drain in my bathroom sink once but got tired of looking at it so I changed it back to chromed brass. I use chromed brass drains in my apartment building because I like the way they look. Of course, no one else cares.

Last edited:
Confused about what? I put a plastic drain in my bathroom sink once but got tired of looking at it so I changed it back to chromed brass. I use chromed brass drains in my apartment building because I like the way they look. Of course, no one else cares.
The part you see is stainless numbnuts.

Forum List

Back