Indulging in Some Whining; my Back is Killing Me!

i do not have one nor have i ever been on one.... but the idea is sound in my opinion. Have you ever tried laying down on a sleep number?

Not yet.

But I am going to try everything that has even a snowballs chance in hell of working.

Sleep number is on the list, thanks, or rather an orthopedic mattress of some kind.

Might just slide a board under the mattress.

Not sure if it will solve your problem,but the sleep# bed helped me in that you change it to suit your back at the moment.
I keep mine up around 80 most of the time(you can go higher but it doesnt change much at that point)but I'll occasionally drop it down to 20 while on my back just to stretch things out. If it starts to get uncomfortable you jack it back up.
I would go to the sleep# store and have them crank it all the way up and see if it's firm enough.

I plan to, as long as the Chief Executive of our household approves.

I have a herniated disc between my L4 and L5 vertebra with a 'mild' bulge according to the radiologist, but it still fricking hurts sitting or standing. It doesn't hurt walking. My upper back muscles tense up and hurt somehow due to that herniated disc.

But what is really hurting me right now and has been getting steadily worse is the herniated disc at my T11-T12, which causes sharp stabbing pain that pulses through my back and upper chest like electrical shocks. Sometimes it makes me stop breathing, and when I sneeze or cough it hurts. When I walk I have to step lightly or it hurts. I have to sit slowly and when riding in the car, I have to lift my ass up off the seat to avoid getting a jolt in my spine when we go over speed bumps. If I sit for more than 20 minutes it starts to hurt and the muscles start to tighten up more and eventually hurt like hell if I don't lay on my back or walk around a little bit. Going down stairs is a literal pain.

I have seen the doctor and she gave me two weeks off to treat my back with some steroids and muscle relaxers, but I cant do anything on the relaxants, I cant keep my focus on what I am trying to do. Even getting a drink of water isn't a simple thing when I am on that stuff and I have even pulled the cup out before turning the water off and made an embarrassing spill a couple of times.

My output at work has declined in quantity and quality over the last few months. I hate that. I have always been a damned good engineer and I feel I am no longer able to do the job due to this pain.

I know that whatever happens, all is in the hands of God, but then, the Kulaks and Armenians knew that too and look where it got them! lol, I seriously do feel like I am at the end of my professional life and I cant help it. And that makes me feel depressed, not clinically, but how I guess anyone would feel when they are looking at the end of productive years. I have worked since I was 14, and did lawn mowing before that to make cash and painted barns and fences. If I cant work, I don't know what I will do to feel purposeful and like I am giving some service to the community, giving back to society.

Maybe these thoughts are part of why I cant sleep too. I don't know.

I do know that I cant lift anything more than about 5 pounds without shooting pain, I cant push a mower now and had to watch my wife mow last weekend.

I see the doctor again Thursday, the 29th, but frankly I don't think they can do much for this part of my back unless it is surgery, and that shit scares me, honestly, I have read it only works about 15% of the time and 30% of the time results in paralysis for the thoracic spine area.

Don't know what I hope to achieve posting here. But this is about all I can do to let off the steam at this time of night.

Fuck it; I guess I will eventually have to fall asleep.

Wow, I hope you somehow find relief for your back.

That sounds awful. Maybe the doc will have something for you tomorrow. I hope so.

Jim, so sorry to hear this. I hope you find relief soon!

Don't know if this would help but may be worth looking in to.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGN5-b3lJE8]Teeter Hang Ups Inversion Table - YouTube[/ame]

https://www.teetertv.com/

My mother had back pains...would sleep on her side on a long couch with her back pressed against the couch back...seemed to work well. She later had an operation that fixed her back. She later died of other causes...but she had no back pain.:lol:

That is encouraging to hear; thank you, seriously.
I hope it works for you too. By the way, she often took the back cushions off the couch and pressed against the flat panel behind it. Try it with and without the cushions.

You might also try one of those things that lets you hang upside down...like [MENTION=13669]Zoom-boing[/MENTION] posted.

Last edited:

Teeter Hang Ups Inversion Table - YouTube

Thank you !

I don't know if I can talk the boss into all these purchases, lol.

i tell ya, look at QVC for a sleep number.... they have easypay....so you can spread a purchase out over several months.

how was the doctor appointment today?

Teeter Hang Ups Inversion Table - YouTube

Thank you !

I don't know if I can talk the boss into all these purchases, lol.

i tell ya, look at QVC for a sleep number.... they have easypay....so you can spread a purchase out over several months.

how was the doctor appointment today?

It is on Thursday. But thanks for asking.

I have the same problem, I've had surgery to replace the t-4-5 with tungsten disk fusing. It was the most pain I'd ever had, but that is because the hospital I was in started and new policy of no narcotics, the gave me Tylenol. I was furious!

Not only having bulging and herniated disk I also have degenerative spine disease, sciatica, osteoarthritis, spurs on the inside of the spinal disc osteophyte. I was a mason for the last 14 years and all I did was aggravate it and make it worse.
In your case the back muscles will weaken more and if you start dragging any limbs, have numbness down to your toes, arms, fingers etc, get the operation, it does help, but don't stop moving. Sitting and lying only makes it worse, just try to move as much as you can and exercise.
Good luck, the old mans club(at an early age).
Also try a tens unit, it's an electrical pulse device that puts voltage through muscles to increase endorphins for a more natural pain relief if pills are not what you want, also try some spinal stretching at a local chiropractor or doctor, it does help get blood and oxygen into the spinal cord that are being pinched.
Use ice packs, no heat, you have inflammation, heat only makes it inflame more and get some anti-inflamitoid medicine..

Last edited:
Not yet.

But I am going to try everything that has even a snowballs chance in hell of working.

Sleep number is on the list, thanks, or rather an orthopedic mattress of some kind.

Might just slide a board under the mattress.

Not sure if it will solve your problem,but the sleep# bed helped me in that you change it to suit your back at the moment.
I keep mine up around 80 most of the time(you can go higher but it doesnt change much at that point)but I'll occasionally drop it down to 20 while on my back just to stretch things out. If it starts to get uncomfortable you jack it back up.
I would go to the sleep# store and have them crank it all the way up and see if it's firm enough.

I plan to, as long as the Chief Executive of our household approves.

Put the piece of plywood under her side.........

I have the same problem, I've had surgery to replace the t-4-5 with tungsten disk fusing. It was the most pain I'd ever had, but that is because the hospital I was in started and new policy of no narcotics, the gave me Tylenol. I was furious!

Not only having bulging and herniated disk I also have degenerative spine disease, sciatica, osteoarthritis, spurs on the inside of the spinal disc osteophyte. I was a mason for the last 14 years and all I did was aggravate it and make it worse.

Yeah I got all that too.

Mild disk bulge in L4-L5 disc, and in T11-12.

Significant bulges in F5-S1 and T1-C8 disc.

The worst pain comes from a herniated disc at T7-T8. Doc says the L5-S1 disc causes pain that makes me hunch over and that makes my upper back muscles cramp. The T7-T8 herniation has a multiplicative effect on the muscle spasms and is itself very painful.

I am on disability leave, but the insurance company has not yet approved my coverage as the medical info was only given to them yesterday. My last MRI was 6 days ago, so it isn't their fault.

Forum List

Back