Independent Data Crunch on Trump Supporter Demographics

Never3ndr

Silver Member
Feb 29, 2016
I really haven't seen any recent work done on Trump's supporter demographics, so I compiled a bit of my own. I used the data from CNN's exits polls found here:

2016 Election Center

And I specifically used the exit polls from South Carolina, Virginia, Texas, Illinois, Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina since those are larger states (and I mainly concentrated on the recent ones). I only really gathered the data on age, education, and income (many states were 90%+ white for the GOP primaries so I didn't really consider race).

On age, only 2 states had enough voters below 30 to generate numbers for, so I'll leave those out. The basic takeaway here is that the younger you are, the less likely you are to vote for Trump. Here, I'm giving you the averaged poll % numbers (so this is the % of that age group that voted for Trump in the GOP primaries):

30-39: 33.3%
40-49: 37%
50-64: 38.6%
65+: 37.9%

On college education, the basic takeaway is the more educated that you are, the less likely you are to vote for Trump. Most notably, if you have a college degree you are ~12.6% LESS likely to vote for Trump than a person with a High School degree (or less). For the data, (again this is the % of the group that voted for Trump versus the other candidates):

High School (or less): 46.3%
Some College: 42.6%
College Graduate: 33.7%
Post Graduate: 27.1%

On income, the data is a bit more spread out here (only 5 out of the 7 states I looked at had data for the 30k-50k range, and only 2 states had data outside of the ranges that I list here). Generally, it looks like the poorer that you are, the more likely you are to support Trump (which makes sense when you consider the education levels of his voter base).

$30,000 - $50,000: 44.6%
$50,000 - $100,000: 35%
$100,000 - $200,000: 34.4%

Maybe interesting, maybe not. I was just curious and tired that there really haven't been any recent poll numbers on this matter. Keep in mind that, as people have dropped out Trumps numbers have went up (so he did better in the later states I considered versus the earlier ones). Also keep in mind that this is really only considering the GOP exit polls on the primaries. So, this doesn't really give you a good picture of how he may compare against Hillary in a general election, and also keep in mind that people that tend to vote in primaries tend to be much more politically charged than people who come out for general elections...given that he has a populist base, I'd actually assume that his support will swell in the general election.

I noticed some obvious elementary school level grammatical errors in your post. Where did you go to school?

Forum List

Back