In Which We Travel from North Korea to Iran to the Senate Floor

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wehrwolfen, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Wehrwolfen

Wehrwolfen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    by Stephen Green
    March 7th, 2013

Kim Jong “Trey” Un is threatening to launch a preemptive nuclear strike on the United States. This from the country whose rockets can deliver a payload of a single Juicy Fruit stick a distance of feet. That is, when they don’t fail spectacularly shortly after launch. His most compact nuke fits snugly into a cave.

So, good luck with that, Kimmie Baby.

Did President Obama somehow bring on all the bluster? Nope. This is much more (everything, really) about North Korean domestic politics, such as it is, than about anything the administration has or hasn’t said or done. Besides, I didn’t go in for the whole “Why Do They Hate Us?” meme after 9/11, and I’m certainly not going to get into now. Crazy Nork dictators are crazy Nork dictators. We’ve had that lesson drilled into use since 1950.

The thought does occur that Kim is acting as a stalking horse for Iran. He waves around his sort-of-real nuclear arsenal while Iran watches for the American response — and revs up a few more cyclotrons. It’s certainly possible, but I don’t know that even Crazy Kim III is capable of stirring up enough stuff for Iran to learn anything about us they don’t already know. Besides, it’s pretty clear that we won’t be going to war against Iran no matter what.

The “won’t be going to war” is the good news. The “no matter what” is the bad news. Because that part does broadcast American weakness, to enemies much more effective and dangerous than the Mad Mullahs.

Then you notice that we have an administration (and a Democratic Senate) unwilling to do much to disarm Iran, but willing to do plenty to disarm American citizens. And you have to ask yourself, “What the hell message does that send to the world?” The Newtown shooter might just have been the ultimate stealth stalking horse — if that’s not an oxymoron.

I suppose the message, if any, is this: America’s elites are now just like any other country’s elites. That is, jealous of their own prerogatives and spiteful of the people’s unalienable rights. I realize that nowhere does the Constitution recognize a right to not get blown up sitting in a café by a remote-control Hellfire missile, but surely there must be a penumbra around there somewhere to cover that.

Which brings us to Rand Paul and his stellar filibuster performance on Wednesday. If you want an argument against filibuster reform, you won’t find a better one than the 12-plus-hour demonstration put on by the young senator from Kentucky. As I tweeted yesterday, I’ve been watching politics for 33 of my almost 44 years, and rarely have I been inspired by a politician like I was yesterday.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
    Vodkapundit » In Which We Travel from North Korea to Iran to the Senate Floor

2. there4eyeM

there4eyeM unlicensed metaphysician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +317
    The hypocrisy of calling for intervention in Iran and not N.K. is clear.
    Intervention in either place is probably not the best answer.

Communication with the culture and people of Iran would be easier for us than the same with N.K. We should use every means to do that in the friendliest way possible. After all, the government is one thing and the people another, and not only in the US.

3. waltky

waltky Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +928
    No. Korea's threat is it's unpredictability...
    :eusa_eh:
    US officials say North Korea poses serious threat
    March 12, 2013 WASHINGTON — An unpredictable North Korea, with its nuclear weapons and missile programs, stands as a serious threat to the United States and East Asia nations, the director of National Intelligence warned Tuesday in a sober assessment of worldwide threats.

4. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +928
    Granny says tell dat new Chinese president to smack lil' Kim an' on top o' the head an' tell him to knock it off...
    :cool:
    China: US missile defense 'antagonizes' North Korea
    March 18, 2013 WASHINGTON — As tensions mount over North Korea’s developing nuclear program, China is warning the United States that its plans to beef up missile defenses could cause more problems.

5. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +928
    Granny says, "Big deal - big talk, lil' Yap...
    :tongue:
    North Korea says it's in "state of war" with South Korea
    March 30, 2013 – North Korea said Saturday it had entered "a state of war" with South Korea in its latest threat aimed at the United States and its ally after two American B-2 bombers flew a training mission in the region.
    See also:

U.S. Defense officials: North Korean threats are 'bellicose rhetoric'
    March 30, 2013 -- Beijing is "likely to try to calm things down," Sweden's foreign minister says; South takes "seriously" north's threat to jeopardize joint Kaesong economic zone; The Pentagon says North Korean threats follow a familiar pattern; North Korea threatens "all-out war and nuclear war" on its enemies, state news reports

6. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +928
    Ban pushin' the panic button...
    :eusa_eh:
    UN chief Ban: Korea crisis could become 'uncontrollable'
    9 April 2013 - UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has warned the crisis on the Korean peninsula may become "uncontrollable".
    See also:

No sense of panic in NKorean capital
    Apr 9,`13 -- Scores of North Koreans of all ages planted trees as part of a forestation campaign - armed with shovels, not guns. In the evening, women in traditional dress danced in the plazas to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the late leader Kim Jong Il's appointment to a key defense post.

7. g5000

g5000 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,081
    Lil Kim creates a staged photo of him holding an Acme Corporation Sooper Sekrit War Planz map, and the American media does the rest for him.

The manufactured threat and reality are widely divergent.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  8. Billo_Really

Billo_Really Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    Intervention in either place is illegal.