CDZ In response to tommy taints post on partisanship, similar but different exercise.

sakinago

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
Tommy recently started a thread where you were to list a policy or idea that you agreed with from the other side of the isle. Good way to start.

In this exercise, I want people to recognize an unfair bias (argument, policy, whatever) coming from their own side. To say that one doesn't think they're biased is next to an impossible claim, and it probably means you're even more so biased since you can't recognize it in yourself, or from your side.

Ground rules: before you can refute another's claim, you need to have a post recognizing bias on you're own side, that should be you're first post. I know some here do not want to be put into a box of one side vs the other, I completely understand, but usually most people do lean one way or the other with their worldview (this in no way shape or form means you are to be placed into any box or party) just that you tend to lean one way. Whatever way you tend to lean, find bias coming from that mainstream side. Or better yet, post a bias coming from both of the mainstream sides. Fair enough?

I'll start. Donald Trump really does not put heavy emphasis on facts. I've recognized this pretty early on, IMO he is a narcissist, and does a narcissist do which is brag, exaggerate, and embellish. Now, that being said, I don't think that makes every one of his points untrue, but it certainly doesn't help him.

I am biased in favor of the United States Constitution, and in particular the Tenth Amendment.

But since I collect Social Security, I agree with the Leftists who created it, even though it is blatantly unconstitutional.

How's that?

I am biased in favor of the United States Constitution, and in particular the Tenth Amendment.

But since I collect Social Security, I agree with the Leftists who created it, even though it is blatantly unconstitutional.

How's that?

I guess that works, that's more of a paradoxical statement than bias. Although it doesn't have to be you're own bias, but a bias you recognize coming from the side you lean.

I'm hoping this thread will help people hold their own people's feet to the fire.

The "death tax" is a demagogic term designed to divert attention away from the fact that wealthy Americans can escape paying any capital gains taxes by putting their appreciated assets in a trust for their beneficiaries, who then receive them on a "stepped up" cost basis.

Also, the "cap" on Social Security tax payments gives an unwarranted 6-12% tax cut to people making over $125,000 per year. Why should they be able to escape from paying for SS death and disability benefits?

The "death tax" is a demagogic term designed to divert attention away from the fact that wealthy Americans can escape paying any capital gains taxes by putting their appreciated assets in a trust for their beneficiaries, who then receive them on a "stepped up" cost basis.

Also, the "cap" on Social Security tax payments gives an unwarranted 6-12% tax cut to people making over $125,000 per year. Why should they be able to escape from paying for SS death and disability benefits?
I'm bias in that I beleive government should not do everything for us.
If a person has paid social security tax of 6 to 12 percent of $125K, then that person has already paid his fair share of social security tax.

So you consider yourself on the right?

Do you then believe if those people making more than $125K/year started paying taxes on income over that amount should receive higher SS benefits, as it is tied to the amount that you put into the system?

Do you then believe if those people making more than $125K/year started paying taxes on income over that amount should receive higher SS benefits, as it is tied to the amount that you put into the system?

No rebuttals until you've posted a bias from you're own side. In the rules of the OP

Forum List

Back