‘In prison or the DFAC?’: soldiers complain about base food

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
ZTXVGRZVRRF2BHLM77ZIE5RM4A.png

This breakfast was served to the 299th Brigade Support Battalion.

Times look tough for the U.S. Army if a photo of the breakfast served at one of the dining facilities to a soldier with the 299th Brigade Support Battalion is any indication.

“I guess 299BSB is broke as hell, and we still went to NTC,” wrote user u/willsugmar, who shared a picture of a meager biscuit, sad scrambled eggs, and a pathetic puddle of gravy.

Many commenters likened the meal to prison food.

“In prison or the DFAC?” asked user diopsideINcalcite. “Because DFAC can get rough when you’re fighting over French toast. Dudes get shanked routinely.”

Some went so far with the joke as to discuss all the soldiers they’ve had to shank in order to get a decent meal.

Complaints about the food at installation dining halls across the Defense Department are not new. And military officials don’t track the effectiveness of their ability to feed service members, according to a report by the Government Accountability Office.

The Defense Department withholds money from troops’ pay to provide on-post meals, three times a day. The quality of those meals, however, have left a bad taste in service members’ mouths.

“After many broken promises the system is still largely the same, with evidence showing that service members on meal cards are eating less than half the meals they are entitled to and for which they are charged,” Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, said in a statement to Military Times.

Reviews of base dining facilities on Yelp also paint a dire picture.

As for the dismal breakfast, “Convicts in Federal prison eat better then that,” wrote user Florida_man727.

WTF.....I can tell you straight-up my convicts ate better than that.

Looks like Michelle Obama planned that meal or some shit.

Hey maybe they can get some of that 40 billion back from Ukraine and feed our guys decent.

Your being lied too. Soldiers would be skinny & too weak to work if that were all they got to eat.

The real chow hall is serving good amounts of good food.
130823-A-SR136-003.JPG

origin.jpg

120128-F-MI569-001.JPG

dining-services-640x381.jpg

Last edited:

Times look tough for the U.S. Army if a photo of the breakfast served at one of the dining facilities to a soldier with the 299th Brigade Support Battalion is any indication.

“I guess 299BSB is broke as hell, and we still went to NTC,” wrote user u/willsugmar, who shared a picture of a meager biscuit, sad scrambled eggs, and a pathetic puddle of gravy.

“In prison or the DFAC?” asked user diopsideINcalcite. “Because DFAC can get rough when you’re fighting over French toast. Dudes get shanked routinely.”

Some went so far with the joke as to discuss all the soldiers they’ve had to shank in order to get a decent meal.

Complaints about the food at installation dining halls across the Defense Department are not new. And military officials don’t track the effectiveness of their ability to feed service members, according to a report by the Government Accountability Office.

The Defense Department withholds money from troops’ pay to provide on-post meals, three times a day. The quality of those meals, however, have left a bad taste in service members’ mouths.

“After many broken promises the system is still largely the same, with evidence showing that service members on meal cards are eating less than half the meals they are entitled to and for which they are charged,” Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, said in a statement to Military Times.

As for the dismal breakfast, “Convicts in Federal prison eat better then that,” wrote user Florida_man727.

Hey maybe they can get some of that 40 billion back from Ukraine and feed our guys decent.
Michele never made any food as bad as army food in the field kitchen .And you never served in the US military.

I remember my very first meal at Naval Training Center, San Diego (boot camp). We were served ham steaks with pineapple. Because that day was the first day of the Jewish holiday Passover, there was a open box of matzot at the end of the chow line with a hand-lettered sign, "For Jewish Personnel Only".

Your being lied too. Soldiers would be skinny & too weak to work if that were all they got to eat.
The real chow hall is serving good amounts of good food.

dining-services-640x381.jpg

Stop Lying ... :thup:

That picture is from November 27th, 2014.
If you are going to try to comment on current context, eight years ago doesn't really apply.

I didn't even check the other ones because I knew you were trying to blow smoke up someone's ass with that one.

Stop Lying ... :thup:

That picture is from November 27th, 2014.
If you are going to try to comment on current context, eight years ago doesn't really apply.

I didn't even check the other ones because I knew you were trying to blow smoke up someone's ass with that one.

They are all wearing mask in the last one, so it's post 2020.

They are all wearing mask in the last one, so it's post 2020.

That's because the soldiers being served and wearing masks in the picture aren't even American you nitwit ...
And it's Thanksgiving Dinner at an overseas joint operations base.

Ask yourself why the people serving are high ranking officials, both officers and enlisted (Americans), and wearing dress uniforms ...
And why there is a decorative turkey sitting on its ass on the top shelf at the end of the line.

And if masks are any kind of accurate gauge of time with American personnel ...
No one is wearing a mask in any of the other pictures you posted ... :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:

Looks like grits not gravy.

Thank you for bringing attention to this major problem in our military. God Bless our Troops and Veterans!

According to the APHC’s 2020 Health of the Force report, 17 percent of Soldiers are classified as obese. (HoF pages 20-21). These service members do not meet the DOD or Army standards. Over half (55%) of Soldiers experienced a new injury in 2019. A majority of injuries (72%) were cumulative musculoskeletal overuse injuries.

I remember someone saying we were all going to fart feathers from all the chicken they served us in the mess hall. The food sucked 30 years ago when I was in, and it likely hasn't changed.

Where was that picture taken? That is likely a field mess tent, as the tray is disposable, the base mess hall is likely going to have hard plastic trays. That is a puny meal though.

Scrambled eggs, a biscuit and some chipped beef. If they displayed it better it would be as good as a McD breakfast. Try eating C-rations for a month and you would be glad to get this stuff.

Most kids who join up are overweight from mostly fast food fatty carbs. When they get high protein food they don't want in the military, they revert to kids and mess it around on their plates and refuse to eat. Unfortunately those whiny Army kids all have cell phones and e-mail. Rice eaters in China are poised for a shooting war and American Troops complain abut biscuits, scrambled eggs and chipped beef for breakfast. Man up or freaking die.

I can tell you right now, that is not any kind of "real DFAC". That is most likely a field DFAC, set up either from a mess trailer (MKT), or in a building in a training FOB to simulate field conditions.

And it is easy as hell to tell that. Soldiers in garrison are not fed on carboard trays. But we are fed that way in the field.

Field Mess:

1000w_q95.jpg

And notice, they are using the exact same carboard trays as in the photo. And scooping the food out of Mermite containers. In other words, prepared in advance (normally just by reheating), then put in an insulated container for serving on the line.

Of course, I have only been in uniform for over 2 decades, so what would I know?

DFAC:

5db0641fe2099.image.jpg

Notice, they are eating on real plates. Something not seen in the field.

Also, rations in the field are very different than those in garrison. They are known most commonly known as the UGR-A, or "Unitized Group Ration". A few dozen different menus, a lot of the items pre-cooked and only needing to be reheated. And the eggs come by the gallon, so they can be cooked quickly as scrambled eggs, or omelets.

By seeing that portion, I would guess they got to mess late, and the servers were giving too large a portion to those that arrived first. Not an uncommon occurrence. But when in the field, any hot chow is welcome. Because other than that, you would be eating MREs all the time.

Eighty years ago Marines were starving on Guadalcanal due to the Navy's reluctance to risk ships for supply convoys. Today's recruits whine about a relatively stable non combat environment. Welcome to the Biden military.

Thank you for bringing attention to this major problem in our military. God Bless our Troops and Veterans!

If you read the article, it is a unit on a training exercise in NTC.

Nobody in the field expects really great food, that is just how things are. It is not a problem at all.

And nobody in the military really pays much attention to "Military Times", or any of their publications. Mostly we just look at it to see who died, who got promoted, and things like that. The actual "articles" in it have been garbage for decades.

And here are some other "great" articles. Posted by the author of that one.

In other words, so many of you idiots commenting in here have essentially fallen for the Military Times version of "Duffelblog".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back