In light of the tragedy what does Bush do?

If everybody thinks you're great and I'm such a liar why is your rep down the crapper while mine going strong? You don't the definition of lie. You don't know me. You can't pretend to know what a Minnesotan is because you aren't one. In short you're a know nothing.

I don't recall saying anyone other than me thinks you are a liar. :eusa_hand: As for my rep being down the crapper. We don't vote on whether we like other people or not. I don't care that some shithead gave me negative reps anymore than I do for the shitheads who gave me positive rep including actsnoblemartin who was stupid enough to give me positive reps the other day after all I have said about him. I also don't need to know you to know that what you have said is a lie and to conclude based on your repeated lies that you are a liar. Based on your statments I can conclude that YOU ARE AN ARROGANT ASSHOLE. You don't know me so how can you know I know nothing while maintaining that I can't know you are a liar because I don't know you. You have demonstrated repeatedly that you are a hypocrite and here is just another example of your hypocrisy. You don't speak for all the people of Minnesota or how they feel or what they think. You don't get to vote on how people feel or what they think. You may think you do asshole but you do not and you do not know me MOTHERFUCKER SO YOU HAVE AS MUCH A RIGHT TO SAY I KNOW NOTHING AS I DO TO POINT OUT THAT YOU ARE A FUCKING LIAR. :eusa_hand: Why don't you go vote for a bitch like yourself so that they can fucking vote on matters that affect me while NOT KNOWING ME. Bring it on asshole. Why don't you show the entire world what a fucking evil bastard you are. Would you like to vote on that too? Would you like to tell me what your opinion is on why you aren't retarded and aren't a bastard? I have never attempted to speak for an entire state or what they think or what they feel but you have because you get off on the political process in this country and think that this extends to being able to decide how other people feel and what they think.

As I thought, the primary responsibility of maintance falls on state/county:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm

That's not what the report states. In fact, it says the exact opposite. It makes it quite clear that the states and counties can do nothing about the Interstate Highway system without an agreement with the Department of Transportation. Having been a part of this process myself I can attest to the fact that you are wrong and that the state and county have no more of a responsibility for the interstate system than MPO's and other planning agencies. They will often take note of their current needs, and the needs of their community, county and state and make proposals to the federal government who has the primary responsibility for interstate highways but that is where their responsibility end. Federal law makes it clear that the Secretary of the Transportation and the Department of Transportation are responsible for the interstate highway system (as opposed to the states who are responsible for highways that are not interstate highways but are a part of the National Higway System). The portion you quote mentions the role of the Federal Highway Administration and not the Department of Transportation. It says when they became an entity within the Department of Transportation and when they took control over the administration of federal highways. I suggest you try reading the report again since its clear you didn't understand it. Also, the Interstate Maintenance Program is separate from the Bridge Improvement and Replacement Program even though IM funds can be used for BIR purposes.

Because the county isn't responsible for funding the construction if state or federal highways. There responsibility is for county roads, the city for city roads, the state for state roads and the federal government for federal roads. The state Department of Transportation will be involved in carrying out these projects from the federal down to the city but each level of government is still responsible for its own roads. The County raising money to build a stadium is part of the county's responsibility for economic growth. It is quite clear that you don't know how local, county and state government works based on your ignorant statements.

Whatever you say, pumpkin.

I think that Edward is correct here.

I know I am correct because I have been involved in transportation planning on the city and state level for years. That people aren't looking at this in the right way is obvious. I suspect that anyone who has been involved in local or state government knows that I am correct in stating that the federal gov't was primarily responsible for this bridge. The state would not have dared to tear down and replace the bridge without the approval of the Department of Transportation. I am not sure whether the state DOT, the MPO for the area, the county or the city recommended that the bridge be rebuilt but they are not the responsible party. MNDOT has already accepted part of the blame and is willing to take corrective action. Now we need to see if the Dept. of Transportation will do so as well since they are the ones who are primarily responsible here and not the state, county or city. We need to put aside the nonsense of blaming the state and the city for what happened and recognize that this was a failure on the part of the Department of Transportation.

The bridge which collapsed was #9340 on the National Bridge Inventory. The records are available at http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/britab.htm. When you look over the records, you'll notice the "01" at positions 151-152 and 153-154. The first instance indicates the entity responsible for maintenance, while the second indicates the legal owner of the structure. The maintainer and owner information has been highlighted for your benefits.

The State Highway Agency is both the owner of the bridge AND the maintainer of record.

To make like a little easier, I've copied the record from the FHWA NBI and pasted it here for your perusal. You an find the data dictionary for the record at the link above.

FHWA NBI #9340 said:
2759340 1110035W00505343000RR, MISS R, 2ND ST & Rd I 35W 1.0 MI NE OF JCT TH 94 999900000001000000000000445850890931440090103010111196708031410002004603293001111151019501219A18409400003001115801390005813005005031703459999H0482H0450005467N15391327447598381005810060512Y48Y60N 06031204 0185360002010030192003 1N2 100000140N0411Y8000000 0000NN0440312 060530BA 044035318212 1 0500

ADDED: here's the quick link to the data dictionary - http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/nbi/format.cfm
ADDED: here's the link for the coding standard used in the records - http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/mtguide.pdf

excuse me sir, this problem was pointed out in 1990. Why are democrats immune from your criticism, but republicans are fair game.

Partisanship is not evil, but when it clouds, NOT just you, but we, the people in general, it is a bad thing.

Katrina was the governments fault, long before bush, both parties did nothing, same with this bridge, less blame, more action. How about that?

http://tinyurl.com/2h6373

After this horrible and preventable incident which is bringing to light the state of our Infrastructure and how dangerous it can be to ignore the problem what does Bush do?

He threatens to veto a bill which everyone agrees is greatly needed to improve parts of our infrastructure.

We have just come off an extended time when Rs were in complete control of our government.

We are talking 6 years of complete control.

They get the bill for Katrina and this one all on their own.

They ignored the Infrastucture to the extent that our roads were being sold to foriegn entities to use as toll roads to charge us to drive on our own roads FOREVER paying a foreign entity (which means a constant outflow of American money leaving this country).

This one is all on the Rs my friend.

Thank your tax cuts.

We have just come off an extended time when Rs were in complete control of our government.

They ignored the Infrastucture to the extent that our roads were being sold to foriegn entities to use as toll roads to charge us to drive on our own roads FOREVER paying a foreign entity (which means a constant outflow of American money leaving this country).

Thank your tax cuts.

Did you even read the response that STATES the Bridge in Question was the responsibility of the State? In fact you will find that all Interstates are maintained not by Federal workers but State and local ones, the Federal Government provides funds for it but the responsibility for maintaining and repairing belongs to State and local Governments.

Further I guess you missed the post that CLEARLY shows that in 2005 a new bill was passed that INCREASED funds for maintaining and repairing highways and Bridges. Nothing like a partisan hack that gets his jollies off dead people.

Thank your tax cuts.

Did you even bother to read Cocky's post? I realize your still looking to place blame for this so that post I would think would help right? Get back to me when you find out what party is in control of the MN legislature.

You really need to change your name. You are clearly not interested in the truth. Especially when it's starring you in the face.

Where do the majority of funds for the infrastructure come from?

This bridge is part of the infrastructure.

Its NOT about this particular bridge.

Why cant you people get that?

Its about the Ignoring of the funding and inspection of our infrastructure.

Where do the majority of funds for the infrastructure come from?

This bridge is part of the infrastructure.

Its NOT about this particular bridge.

Why cant you people get that?

Its about the Ignoring of the funding and inspection of our infrastructure.

Are you just plain retarded? in 2005 funds were INCREASED for this purpose. It is LINKED right here on this thread. Further the state chose to spend those funds not on maintaining the roads and bridges but to build a light rail system. Know I do not know who runs the State in question, BUT it sure as hell is not President Bush, nor the US Congress. Further the bridge was listed as "deficient' in 1990, last I checked using your logic, that means for 8 years President Clinton did nothing to fix it. In fact during 6 of those years the democrats actively removed money from funds for the purpose of repairs.

I am waiting for your scathing attack on Clinton, the Democrats and the elected leaders in the State in question. But I won't hold my breath.

BY NOT EXTENDING THIS PROGRAM THE INFRASTRUCTURE TOOK A CUT!

May 13, 2003

(Washington, D.C.)—A proposal in the U.S. House of Representatives to increase federal highway and public transportation investment would provide a major boost to the American economy by adding $290 billion to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) over the next six years, according to an analysis released May 13 by the world's leading econometric forecasting firm.

The bipartisan leadership of the House Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee has proposed a $375 billion highway and transit investment plan for fiscal years 2004-09 as part of the reauthorization of the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21). The $375 billion is the funding level derived from the U.S. Department of Transportation 2002 "Conditions & Performance Report" as necessary to maintain and begin to improve the nation’s surface transportation network.

Global Insight, Inc., formerly DRI-WEFA, the leading economic forecasting company used by over 3,000 industry, finance and government clients, ran the T&I plan through its national model. The findings of this first-ever analysis of a public infrastructure investment plan found the combined effect of the spending and user fee increases would generate over the next six years:

A $290 billion increase in GDP—about $48 billion annually. This means every federal dollar invested in highway and transit capital outlays would generate over $2.50 in additional U.S. economic activity.

A $129 billion increase in consumer disposable income. To the average American household that means an average $45 annual increase in federal gas tax payments will generate an additional $150 in annual disposal household income—a net $3 to $1 return on investment.

It would spur a $98 billion increase in consumer spending which would benefit small American businesses.

It would add $21 billion to equipment investment by the nation’s businesses, thus generating higher productivity and making the U.S. more competitive.

Federal tax receipts—from the gas tax and additional income, Social Security and Medicare revenues generated by increased economic activity—would increase $102 billion—helping reduce the federal deficit.

"This analysis clearly demonstrates that the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee’s needs-based transportation investment plan is critical to improving business productivity and strengthening the American economy," Transportation Construction Coalition (TCC) co-chairman Pete Ruane said. "It’s also important to recognize the plan provides the investment levels necessary to start reducing the 42,000 deaths that occur annually on the nation’s highways each year and begin unraveling the traffic congestion that is costing every American motorist an average $1,160 per year in lost time and excess fuel consumption."

http://www.apta.com/media/releases/tcc.cfm

May 13, 2003

(Washington, D.C.)—A proposal in the U.S. House of Representatives to increase federal highway and public transportation investment would provide a major boost to the American economy by adding $290 billion to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) over the next six years, according to an analysis released May 13 by the world's leading econometric forecasting firm.

The bipartisan leadership of the House Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee has proposed a $375 billion highway and transit investment plan for fiscal years 2004-09 as part of the reauthorization of the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21). The $375 billion is the funding level derived from the U.S. Department of Transportation 2002 "Conditions & Performance Report" as necessary to maintain and begin to improve the nation’s surface transportation network.

Global Insight, Inc., formerly DRI-WEFA, the leading economic forecasting company used by over 3,000 industry, finance and government clients, ran the T&I plan through its national model. The findings of this first-ever analysis of a public infrastructure investment plan found the combined effect of the spending and user fee increases would generate over the next six years:

A $290 billion increase in GDP—about $48 billion annually. This means every federal dollar invested in highway and transit capital outlays would generate over $2.50 in additional U.S. economic activity.

A $129 billion increase in consumer disposable income. To the average American household that means an average $45 annual increase in federal gas tax payments will generate an additional $150 in annual disposal household income—a net $3 to $1 return on investment.

It would spur a $98 billion increase in consumer spending which would benefit small American businesses.

It would add $21 billion to equipment investment by the nation’s businesses, thus generating higher productivity and making the U.S. more competitive.

Federal tax receipts—from the gas tax and additional income, Social Security and Medicare revenues generated by increased economic activity—would increase $102 billion—helping reduce the federal deficit.

"This analysis clearly demonstrates that the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee’s needs-based transportation investment plan is critical to improving business productivity and strengthening the American economy," Transportation Construction Coalition (TCC) co-chairman Pete Ruane said. "It’s also important to recognize the plan provides the investment levels necessary to start reducing the 42,000 deaths that occur annually on the nation’s highways each year and begin unraveling the traffic congestion that is costing every American motorist an average $1,160 per year in lost time and excess fuel consumption."

Your fucking stupid. A NEW bill was passed dipstick, Kathiane linked to it. The money WAS increased you idiot.

May 13, 2003

The Democrats and Republicans are both to blame. They both should have done something. The Dems could have redistributed resources to upkeep the nations interstate highways. The Repubs could have redistributed resources to keep up the nations interstate highways.

matt how could the dems have passed this without the Rs?

I’m sorry but you lost me. How could the dems have passed what witout the repubs – the interstate highway system back in the 1930’s? I don’t know that much history. How could the republs have passed it if there had been absolutely no support from dems? I am still not sure that I understand what point you are trying to make. My point is that the Clinton administration could have checked in on it just as the Bush administration within the past 6 years could have checked in on it.

Forum List

Back