In booming Philadelphia neighborhoods, lead-poisoned soil is resurfacing

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Her Kensington neighborhood is full of charm. Swank cafes with rustic wood and vintage lighting. Stoops and decks with skyline views. Young parents who bond at parks while their children play.

Jana Curtis, a mother of three, finds excitement in this urban renaissance.

But with it comes a sad reality.

Her daughter was poisoned by lead. The culprit wasn’t paint. Or tap water. But soil — in her own backyard.

“The yard was poisoning my daughter,” Curtis said. “It’s just so horrifying.”

Curtis and her family live in the heart of what was once Philadelphia’s industrial hub. For most of the last century, the “river ward” neighborhoods of Fishtown, Kensington, and Port Richmond, which snake along the Delaware, were blanketed with hulking factories and lead smelters. It was a time when manufacturers used lead in everything from paints to plastics. Lunch-pail laborers walked to work from tightly packed row homes as lead dust spewed from smokestacks, coating sidewalks, stoops, and yards.

Once in the soil, the heavy metal stays indefinitely. Even minuscule amounts can permanently lower a child’s IQ and cause behavioral problems.

At one time, Philadelphia had 36 lead smelters — more than any other city in America. Fourteen alone operated in these river wards.

The lead plants are long gone, either razed or shuttered. But their toxic legacy remains.

Today a development boom is disturbing lead that has sat dormant for decades. Construction crews — unchecked by government — churn up poisonous soil that can spread toxic dust across these gentrifying neighborhoods. This renaissance puts a new generation of children at risk.

In the area’s most sweeping environmental investigation to date, the Inquirer and Daily News tested exposed soil in 114 locations in the river wards — parks, playgrounds, yards. Nearly three out of four had hazardous levels of lead contamination — a problem of previously unknown severity.

...Philadelphia Health Commissioner Thomas Farley said the city enforces dust regulations “to the extent that we can.”

Farley pointed out that lead paint — not soil — is the primary source of childhood lead poisoning. “Lead levels correlate to poverty and they correlate with older housing,” he said. “They don’t light up where there were smelters.”

Farley said that while parents should try to prevent their children from playing in dirt in these neighborhoods, he doesn’t consider soil a major risk. “Risk from soil and dust is — it’s certainly a theoretical risk.”
In booming Philly neighborhoods, lead-poisoned soil is resurfacing

I believe what Farley meant to say was....it's only a few IQ points. Of course, these are wealthier folk and they won't stand for this.

ONLY PARTS of Port Richmond and Fishtown is wealthier if you can even call it that, Kensington and parts of those 2 sections are always gonna have lower IQ's & be permanently lower child like IQ with behavioral problems.
Have you ever seen Sunny in Philadelphia, Mac's mom exemplifies Kenington as I remember it. *L*

Pretty lame inaction there. You need a special EPA certification to disturb a home's walls pre-1978. How did something like that fly under the radar? Payoffs?

My fight against the bullshit Al Gore and the global warming crew spews is that we have real and dangerous pollution we HAVE TO DEAL WITH. In the here and now. Today. Yesterday.

aw , i wonder how much lead paint and polution city dwellers kids from the 50s grew up with chewing on window sills painted with lead based paint as they were waiting and watching for Daddy to come home from work . Also 'black mold' , i never remember a black mold scare in the 50s , 60s or 70s until the scare was invented in [when was it 1980s] or thereabouts . What was it , an old 'meryl streep' and her scare of 'alar' on apples think it was . ----------- nuclear winter , acid rain , new ice age , global warming , mad cow . Ithink its funny . Just an off topic comment !!

ONLY PARTS of Port Richmond and Fishtown is wealthier if you can even call it that, Kensington and parts of those 2 sections are always gonna have lower IQ's & be permanently lower child like IQ with behavioral problems.
Have you ever seen Sunny in Philadelphia, Mac's mom exemplifies Kenington as I remember it. *L*

I haven't seen Kensington in decades but yeah that description sure didn't sound like anything I remember.

"You can't get to heaven on the Frankford El" --- cause the Frankford El goes straight to.....

I lived thru Grassy Narrows. Mercury is on the front row of death.

lead and mercury are our enemies. carbon is not.

i think its all pretty much bullsh1t . Sure , keep your kids away from poision as thats just common sense . But i as a widdle kid remember rooting around in an old attic in about 1957 and the house must have been built in the early 1900s or earlier . And i was tasting stuff in squeeze tubes just because they were there and i am much smarter that most 'mods' on this here board . :afro:

aw , i wonder how much lead paint and polution city dwellers kids from the 50s grew up with chewing on window sills painted with lead based paint as they were waiting and watching for Daddy to come home from work . Also 'black mold' , i never remember a black mold scare in the 50s , 60s or 70s until the scare was invented in [when was it 1980s] or thereabouts . What was it , an old 'meryl streep' and her scare of 'alar' on apples think it was . ----------- nuclear winter , acid rain , new ice age , global warming , mad cow . Ithink its funny . Just an off topic comment !!
I think you chewed two much of those window sills from your post.

I lived thru Grassy Narrows. Mercury is on the front row of death.

lead and mercury are our enemies. carbon is not.
Really? So something that results in inundation of ports, a bit of climate change can make a big difference agriculture, and the seas are already under assault from garbage and pollution, also has to deal with acidification. Yes, heavy metals are a problem as is the increasing GHGs in the atmosphere.

THE Lead in the dirt is the least of their problems.
Many of those old row homes had coal furnaces. Cleaning those basements for an hour and you'll have coal miners nostral and faces. You'll sooner die of black lung, old brick siding falling on your head, row house fire from old wiring, freeze to death trying to stay warm with old radiator heating, murdered over parking in the wrong persons spot, or stabbed by the friendly neighborhood wanna be hoodlam who just lost his baby teeth.

this lead news stuff is just more to get the 'no-nothings' that want to live FOREVER worked up . In reality most will be lucky to live till their mid 70s , early 80s in subsidized housing somewhere in some big city with delivered 'meals on wheel' serving healthy 'mush' and surrounded by more 'no nothings' and imported people . --------------- whata life [chuckle] !!

Lead poisoning
Symptoms and causes
By Mayo Clinic Staff
Print
Symptoms

Initially, lead poisoning can be hard to detect — even people who seem healthy can have high blood levels of lead. Signs and symptoms usually don't appear until dangerous amounts have accumulated.

Lead poisoning symptoms in children
Signs and symptoms of lead poisoning in children include:

• Developmental delay
  • Learning difficulties
  • Irritability
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Sluggishness and fatigue
  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Hearing loss
  • Seizures
  • Eating things, such as paint chips, that aren't food (pica)
Lead poisoning symptoms in newborns
Babies exposed to lead before birth might:

• Be born prematurely
  • Have lower birth weight
  • Have slowed growth
Lead poisoning symptoms in adults
Although children are primarily at risk, lead poisoning is also dangerous for adults. Signs and symptoms in adults might include:

• High blood pressure
  • Joint and muscle pain
  • Difficulties with memory or concentration
  • Headache
  • Abdominal pain
  • Mood disorders
  • Reduced sperm count and abnormal sperm
  • Miscarriage, stillbirth or premature birth in pregnant women
Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Pismoe, you are an idiot.

and YOU Sir are a person from 'portland' , seems that all you yahoos settle in big out of control cities . Course , its probably best to have you all mouldering in one place . Otherwise , good morning to you OldRocks . :afro:

this lead news stuff is just more to get the 'no-nothings' that want to live FOREVER worked up . In reality most will be lucky to live till their mid 70s , early 80s in subsidized housing somewhere in some big city with delivered 'meals on wheel' serving healthy 'mush' and surrounded by more 'no nothings' and imported people . --------------- whata life [chuckle] !!
-------------------------------------- and the above perfectly describes 'portland' eh OldRocks ??

No, it does not describe Portland. Most of the people in Portland have a much higher income, and live better live than do the people in the rural communities here.

Estimated median household income in 2015: $60,892 (it was $40,146 in 2000)
Portland:
$60,892
OR:
$54,148 Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Oregon.html#ixzz4lPXpuyAD

Opinion | Paychecks in Rural America Are ... About the Same

In fact, the Census Bureau reported that the median household income outside the nation's metropolitan areas fell from $45,534 in 2014 to $44,657 (both in 2015 dollars), although it didn't make a big deal out of that because the difference was less than the survey's margin of error. Later it even added a “user note” cautioning that changes in the survey sample made comparisons between 2014 and 2015 “not appropriate,” and pointing to a different survey that shows the median income outside metropolitan areas rising from $42,749 to $44,212.

Money again as i say big deal . portland' is not America and you acknowledge that fact by traveling to 'ory guns' outback in your free time OldRocks . [as you have described]

Forum List

Back