Import Tariffs are incompatable with Libertarianism

Where on earth did you guys get the idea that libertarians are for tariffs or any other form of protectionism? They are for a minimalist gov't with the least amount of gov't intervention, and that includes free trade.

I see I need to start a thread on protectionism, followed by one on free trade. Not sure if many around here fully realize the negatives of the former and the positives of the latter.

I saw a self-proclaimed libertarian noob (Mr. Nick), blathering on about how we need to "tariff the shit" out of Chinese imports.

Just trying to set him and others of like mind straight on the subject. But I think he put me on ignore for calling him a naughty word so I guess his ignorance shall remain unabated.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Speak your piece and move on, I guess. Kinda like leading a horse to water ...

Notwithstanding the fact that if you asked ten different self-proclaimed libertarians what libertarians stand for, you'd get ten different answers, textbook Libertarianism strongly opposes all import tariffs.

Look it up.

And then have fun trying to reconcile this fact with your own, poorly manufactured idea of what it means to be a libertarian.

Who are you referring to? I'm a libertarian, and I oppose all tariffs. I don't know any libertarians who support tariffs. I know plenty of conservatives and liberals who do, however.

In my experience, many who happily promote free trade (count me among them) and free movement of capital and resources suddenly raise strong objection when that principle is expanded to labor. the free market, it seems, is often not extended to labor.

Of course not. Do you want a billion people to emigrate to the United States? Free movement of capital doesn't affect my standard of living. Hoards of people moving into this country does.

Notwithstanding the fact that if you asked ten different self-proclaimed libertarians what libertarians stand for, you'd get ten different answers, textbook Libertarianism strongly opposes all import tariffs.

Look it up.

And then have fun trying to reconcile this fact with your own, poorly manufactured idea of what it means to be a libertarian.

Who are you referring to? I'm a libertarian, and I oppose all tariffs. I don't know any libertarians who support tariffs. I know plenty of conservatives and liberals who do, however.

repost:

I saw a self-proclaimed libertarian noob (Mr. Nick), blathering on about how we need to "tariff the shit" out of Chinese imports.

Just trying to set him and others of like mind straight on the subject. But I think he put me on ignore for calling him a naughty word so I guess his ignorance shall remain unabated.

I have no problem with free trade INSIDE the United States. However, as a nationalist and an isolationist I have major issues with free trade coming into and going out from the United States. Regardless of whether its capital, resources, labor, etc...

If tariffs are good for the United States, then why shouldn't New York impose a tariff on oranges from Florida? How about if Florida imposes a tariff on automobiles imported from other states? Why not take this tariff business to it's logical conclusion?

repost:

Who is "Mr Nick?" Clinton also claimed he was a libertarian. That doesn't mean he is one.

In my experience, many who happily promote free trade (count me among them) and free movement of capital and resources suddenly raise strong objection when that principle is expanded to labor. the free market, it seems, is often not extended to labor.

Of course not. Do you want a billion people to emigrate to the United States? Free movement of capital doesn't affect my standard of living. Hoards of people moving into this country does.

IOW you're not a libertarian.

A large percentage of libertarians oppose open borders and support strict immigration controls. Supporting freedom for Americans does not require me to support allowing people from every other country in the world to move here.

Where on earth did you guys get the idea that libertarians are for tariffs or any other form of protectionism? They are for a minimalist gov't with the least amount of gov't intervention, and that includes free trade.

I see I need to start a thread on protectionism, followed by one on free trade. Not sure if many around here fully realize the negatives of the former and the positives of the latter.

Self-proclaiming isn't good enough, John McCain has said he's a libertarian and he's the exact definition of a neocon.

A billion people would not move to the United States if we allowed free movement of labor.

And actually, free movement of capital DOES affect your standard of living. It makes it higher. Free movement of labor would do the same thing.

A large percentage of libertarians oppose open borders and support strict immigration controls. Supporting freedom for Americans does not require me to support allowing people from every other country in the world to move here.

Have you done a survey?
Even if true, that only means a large percentage of narco-libertarians are hypocrites, believing in freedom for themselves but not other people.
But that's hardly news to those of us conservatives who have observed the narco-libs for some time now.

Is immigration policy a deal-breaker? Ron Paul supports building a fence and ending amnesty... or is he not really considered a libertarian?

A billion people would not move to the United States if we allowed free movement of labor.

What would stop them? There are a billion people in India alone who would move here at the drop of a hat if they were allowed to.

And actually, free movement of capital DOES affect your standard of living. It makes it higher. Free movement of labor would do the same thing.

I agree with the first part, However, how would a billion people moving here improve my standard of living?

Last edited:

Have you done a survey?

Liberty Magazine publishes a survery every year on what libertarian attitudes on various subjects are.

Even if true, that only means a large percentage of narco-libertarians are hypocrites, believing in freedom for themselves but not other people. But that's hardly news to those of us conservatives who have observed the narco-libs for some time now.

Narco libs? What could be more hypocritical than conservatives smoking away on their cancer sticks and sucking down billions of gallons of alcohol while they make war on people who choose different recreational weeds or chemicals?

Libertarians believe in Freedom for all people. However, they don't believe the U.S. government has any obligation to provide it for anyone who is not an American citizen.

What would stop them? There are a billion people in India who would move here at the drop of a hat if they were allowed to.

What would stop them? equilibrium wages and access to resources.

Would we be better off if we didn't allow other forms of capital to accumulate in the United States?

Forum List

Back