Immigration Reform

1Badnana65

Rookie
Aug 13, 2019
So what's happening at the border right now is just plain wrong on every level. The people being held at the border are not "illegal aliens." An illegal alien is someone who has crossed into the country illegally and is living here. The people being detained at the border came knocking on the door and need to be processed and either admitted entry or told no and sent back.

The people who are here illegally need to be dealt with. The biggest problem is that they wouldn't stay here if they couldn't find jobs. The raid in Mississippi demonstrates just how rampant hiring illegals has become. I have a couple of questions: 1) Every employer in the US has to have an employee complete an I9 and a rep from the employer has to sign certifying that they have actually seen two documents proving a person is eligible to work in the U.S. So why does the chicken processing plant get a pass? Why isn't the employer being penalized for hiring hundreds of illegals?
2) The people who were rounded up in the raid were working that day and had likely been working before that day. So what happens to the paychecks that they are owed? The employer just gets to forget about paying them?
I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley. The food basket for the Nation. For many years, the ranchers and farmers there would employ and house illegals to harvest their crops with the promise to pay them at the end. Then when the crop was almost in, they'd call immigration and have the workers deported so they didn't have to pay them. Does anyone else think that's wrong?

This is going to be very unpopular and may sound bad but here it is anyway.....the amendment to the US constitution that says any child born here is a US citizen needs to be changed. It was enacted and needed to give citizenship to the slaves who were emancipated and born here. Those days are gone. Children should not be anyone's ticket to the front of the line or a free pass to stay in the country illegally. Maybe it should be changed to say that at least 1 parent must be a naturalized or born citizen in order for the child to be an automatic citizen.

The fact remains that if you want to stop all immigration, you can forget about it. It will never happen. The President's wife's parents were naturalized just this year. Why? Because they are such great assets to this country? No because their daughter is the wife of the President. It's wrong but money is the only thing that matters in this country and money can obviously buy you anything you want.

We are creating an entire generation of potential terrorists at our border. If I was a child, separated from my parents, living in a cage at the border, some day I will grow up and be seriously pissed off at the country who treated me worse than most animals in shelters across this country. No matter how misguided that kind of anger may be, it will still be there and there will always be people willing to act on it.

I can guarantee you without any doubt that Donald Trump's golf courses, resorts, etc. are currently employing undocumented workers (illegal aliens). Why? Because he can pay them less, require more from them, and if they are screwed out of hours on their paychecks, they have no recourse. They can't go to the local labor board. They don't dare complain to anyone. This is garbage pure plain and simple.

Employers who hire illegal aliens must be punished to the full extent of the law. If there is no law to punish them, then one needs to be passed that does. Corporate America doesn't understand anything that doesn't affect its bottomline. Profits over everything else. That's the name of their game.

I know people who were born here to illegal immigrants. Their parents are still illegal, they are citizens. So ICE comes to their house, now what? I don't know all the answers but common sense tells me that we need to figure out how to deal with what's happening and we better do it soon or we are headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

California has one of the highest populations of Spanish only speaking people in the U.S. We have more illegal aliens than most other States. The growers in our State need these people to work the fields from sun up to sundown for less than minimum wage to maximize their profits. They teach their children Spanish and send them to school to learn English. Bi-lingual isn't a bad thing. But, they should be bi-lingual not only speak Spanish. My Granddaughter was in kindergarten last year and because there were 5 kids out of 25 who were only able to speak Spanish, she spent 1/2 the year being taught what she already knew. Why?

I am the Great Granddaughter of Irish immigrants who came to this country legally through Ellis Island. My ancestors did everything they could to create lives here, work here, and assimilate into the Country. They faced and overcame people who considered them "sub-human" and dealt with signs in stores that said things like "NO IRISH." They were as white as white could be but still because they were different from a different country they were treated like trash. Anyone who thinks it makes a difference what color your skin is has no idea what it means to be an American. This is one of the only countries in the world where you can have people of different religions, ethnicities, and colors all living on the same street without someone trying to kill them. At least it was until our dear leader began to spew his hate filled rhetoric on tv constantly.

I think we should send him back! Back to Russia where he belongs. He has his head so far up Putin's ass as it is he may as well go all the way!

I agree that companies should not hire illegals. But in comparison, who is ultimately to blame for our drug problem? The drug users in this country or those who are supplying those drugs into this country?

You can penalize the users all you want to but until you go after the suppliers, it won't cease.

I think you responded to the wrong post. I said nothing about drugs. None of the immigration stuff I discussed has anything to do with drugs. None of the people they are holding in pens at the border are dealing drugs. But, you are right. Drug users are to blame for using. Thank God cannabis is legal in California now which is putting many of the cartels who smuggle it across the border out of business.

So what's happening at the border right now is just plain wrong on every level. The people being held at the border are not "illegal aliens." An illegal alien is someone who has crossed into the country illegally and is living here. The people being detained at the border came knocking on the door and need to be processed and either admitted entry or told no and sent back.

The people who are here illegally need to be dealt with. The biggest problem is that they wouldn't stay here if they couldn't find jobs. The raid in Mississippi demonstrates just how rampant hiring illegals has become. I have a couple of questions: 1) Every employer in the US has to have an employee complete an I9 and a rep from the employer has to sign certifying that they have actually seen two documents proving a person is eligible to work in the U.S. So why does the chicken processing plant get a pass? Why isn't the employer being penalized for hiring hundreds of illegals?
2) The people who were rounded up in the raid were working that day and had likely been working before that day. So what happens to the paychecks that they are owed? The employer just gets to forget about paying them?
I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley. The food basket for the Nation. For many years, the ranchers and farmers there would employ and house illegals to harvest their crops with the promise to pay them at the end. Then when the crop was almost in, they'd call immigration and have the workers deported so they didn't have to pay them. Does anyone else think that's wrong?

This is going to be very unpopular and may sound bad but here it is anyway.....the amendment to the US constitution that says any child born here is a US citizen needs to be changed. It was enacted and needed to give citizenship to the slaves who were emancipated and born here. Those days are gone. Children should not be anyone's ticket to the front of the line or a free pass to stay in the country illegally. Maybe it should be changed to say that at least 1 parent must be a naturalized or born citizen in order for the child to be an automatic citizen.

The fact remains that if you want to stop all immigration, you can forget about it. It will never happen. The President's wife's parents were naturalized just this year. Why? Because they are such great assets to this country? No because their daughter is the wife of the President. It's wrong but money is the only thing that matters in this country and money can obviously buy you anything you want.

We are creating an entire generation of potential terrorists at our border. If I was a child, separated from my parents, living in a cage at the border, some day I will grow up and be seriously pissed off at the country who treated me worse than most animals in shelters across this country. No matter how misguided that kind of anger may be, it will still be there and there will always be people willing to act on it.

I can guarantee you without any doubt that Donald Trump's golf courses, resorts, etc. are currently employing undocumented workers (illegal aliens). Why? Because he can pay them less, require more from them, and if they are screwed out of hours on their paychecks, they have no recourse. They can't go to the local labor board. They don't dare complain to anyone. This is garbage pure plain and simple.

Employers who hire illegal aliens must be punished to the full extent of the law. If there is no law to punish them, then one needs to be passed that does. Corporate America doesn't understand anything that doesn't affect its bottomline. Profits over everything else. That's the name of their game.

I know people who were born here to illegal immigrants. Their parents are still illegal, they are citizens. So ICE comes to their house, now what? I don't know all the answers but common sense tells me that we need to figure out how to deal with what's happening and we better do it soon or we are headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

California has one of the highest populations of Spanish only speaking people in the U.S. We have more illegal aliens than most other States. The growers in our State need these people to work the fields from sun up to sundown for less than minimum wage to maximize their profits. They teach their children Spanish and send them to school to learn English. Bi-lingual isn't a bad thing. But, they should be bi-lingual not only speak Spanish. My Granddaughter was in kindergarten last year and because there were 5 kids out of 25 who were only able to speak Spanish, she spent 1/2 the year being taught what she already knew. Why?

I am the Great Granddaughter of Irish immigrants who came to this country legally through Ellis Island. My ancestors did everything they could to create lives here, work here, and assimilate into the Country. They faced and overcame people who considered them "sub-human" and dealt with signs in stores that said things like "NO IRISH." They were as white as white could be but still because they were different from a different country they were treated like trash. Anyone who thinks it makes a difference what color your skin is has no idea what it means to be an American. This is one of the only countries in the world where you can have people of different religions, ethnicities, and colors all living on the same street without someone trying to kill them. At least it was until our dear leader began to spew his hate filled rhetoric on tv constantly.

I think we should send him back! Back to Russia where he belongs. He has his head so far up Putin's ass as it is he may as well go all the way!

You had my interest in engaging you until your TDS took a turn for the worse (see italicized passage). Too bad that sufferers of TDS cannot engage in a discussion without resorting to this sort of deranged rhetoric.

I think you responded to the wrong post. I said nothing about drugs. None of the immigration stuff I discussed has anything to do with drugs. None of the people they are holding in pens at the border are dealing drugs. But, you are right. Drug users are to blame for using. Thank God cannabis is legal in California now which is putting many of the cartels who smuggle it across the border out of business.

You are oblivious to the facts and the fact that California has decriminalized pot, is irrelevant. Legalization in California has only made the cartels work harder. More people are dying in that state from heroin, fentany, cocaine, and meth than before pot was decriminalized. You live in towns cities whose streets and sidewalks are littered with used syringes, homeless encampments, and feces.

Drug overdoses in California prisons has gone up 113% in three years,
and accidental overdoses are causing 48% more deaths in California than in any other state, and more deaths than firearms, homicide, and HIV/AIDS.

You had my interest in engaging you until your TDS took a turn for the worse (see italicized passage). Too bad that sufferers of TDS cannot engage in a discussion without resorting to this sort of deranged rhetoric.
I don't get the whole Deep State thing. I'm not deranged and no one has ever accused me of being deranged. Anyone who doesn't believe that the awful things Donald has been spewing on tv about all Mexicans being rapists, murderers, drug dealers and the cause of all our problems contributed significantly and prompted the wack job in El Paso to drive 11 hours to kill a bunch of innocent people fails to understand the power that hate filled speech can have in spurring action.

Let's go back to the American Revolution. Had the prominent colonists and others seeking to be free from King George not engaged in hate filled speech and rhetoric targeted to the masses, would we be a British colony today? In order to break free, the colonists had to be united and spurred into action. That's exactly what they did.

I don't get the whole Deep State thing. I'm not deranged and no one has ever accused me of being deranged. Anyone who doesn't believe that the awful things Donald has been spewing on tv about all Mexicans being rapists, murderers, drug dealers and the cause of all our problems contributed significantly and prompted the wack job in El Paso to drive 11 hours to kill a bunch of innocent people fails to understand the power that hate filled speech can have in spurring action.

Hate speech? Seriously? You mean like these hateful beauties that came out of Obama's foul mouth?

"When it comes to Republicans, I want you to argue with them and get in their face.”

“We need to punish our enemies”

"Republicans need to stop talking and get out of the way.”

"I want to know whose ass to kick." (In response to the BP oil spill)

"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun.”

"Voting is the best revenge."

"If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying we’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us, if they don’t see that kind of up surge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder, and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2nd."

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly..."

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person..."

"That's just how white folks will do you. It wasn't merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn't know that they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn."

"It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks' greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere...That's the world! On which hope sits!"

"...And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Your right neither party is right and both are wrong! The politicians have abdicated their responsibility to their constituents in favor of big money. So,. then why do the same politicians get elected time and time again? There's a South Park episode where the student body election is between a "Giant Douche" and a "Turd Sandwich." Gross? Maybe. The choice we are faced with every time we enter the voting booth? ABSOLUTELY! It's about picking the least of two evils. I'm not saying it's right; it isn't. That's just the way it is. So the Republicans want less environmental regulation (more lead in the water, more toxins in the ground, more pollution in the air). How is that serving the American people? By killing us more quickly? The Democrats aren't much better but they enact policies that require someone to monitor the corporations putting lead in the water, toxins in the ground, and pollution in the air. Does it help? Maybe not but the corporations may pump a little less crap into us, our food, and our air. And that can't be a bad thing.

If you are of the view that all politicians are criminals, crooks and con men/women, then why not do what it takes to shit can them all? Enact term limits. Enact campaign finance reform to level the playing field. Do all you can to get every eligible voter to step up, take responsibility, and actually take 10 minutes to vote in every election. Participation will create change; engagement will create accountability; honesty and reality will again align. Now that would be something to see!

The U.S. Constitution is not a dead document. It was never intended to be a static, unalterable, or unchangeable list of rights. We enacted prohibition by amending the constitution. That didn't work well so we had the wisdom to repeal that amendment. Why not approach immigration the same way? The Constitution was amended to solve a serious problem at the end of the civil war. There were hundreds of thousands of slaves born in this Country who were technically citizens of no Country. They were never considered Americans. To quickly resolve the problem, the Constitution was amended to grant all individuals born in this Country automatic citizenship. It achieved its original purpose but failed to consider the long-term impact and consequences of enacting such a broad, general and over reaching statement of the right to citizenship. Now we have people who sneak into this Country illegally just to have their child born in the U.S. Now, this illegal person has an "anchor baby" and we are expected to say ok that's fine. Since you were a successful criminal and had a child here, stay as long as you'd like. Well, that may have been fine from 1868 to 1950 but we can no longer sustain what's happening.

The U.S. Constitution is not a dead document. It was never intended to be a static, unalterable, or unchangeable list of rights. We enacted prohibition by amending the constitution. That didn't work well so we had the wisdom to repeal that amendment. Why not approach immigration the same way? The Constitution was amended to solve a serious problem at the end of the civil war. There were hundreds of thousands of slaves born in this Country who were technically citizens of no Country. They were never considered Americans. To quickly resolve the problem, the Constitution was amended to grant all individuals born in this Country automatic citizenship. It achieved its original purpose but failed to consider the long-term impact and consequences of enacting such a broad, general and over reaching statement of the right to citizenship. Now we have people who sneak into this Country illegally just to have their child born in the U.S. Now, this illegal person has an "anchor baby" and we are expected to say ok that's fine. Since you were a successful criminal and had a child here, stay as long as you'd like. Well, that may have been fine from 1868 to 1950 but we can no longer sustain what's happening.
Why not? Seems more like lousy border policy. We should not be losing money on border policy because our welfare clause is General and we have a Commerce Clause.

They are using Asylum for entry rather than crossing illegally.

Last edited:

They did not come through the door. They crossed the border illegally and turned themselves. That makes them illegal aliens.
You cannot stop all immigration but stop illegal immigration and control all immigration.
Most illegals do not work in agriculture — only about 4 percent of the illegal-immigrant population is employed in farming. In no state is farming the predominant occupation of illegal immigrants; even in places such as California, where labor-intensive fruit-and-vegetable farming attracts a relatively large illegal workforce, the main occupations of illegals are in hospitality (restaurants and hotels), services, and transportation.
Trump's rhetoric on immigration did not cause the recent racist mass shootings but it was the democrats allowing illegal immigration and protecting them, sanctuary cities, DACA and the 20 million if the country illegally and it should be enough to piss any American off.

The proportion of immigrants crossing illegally by going between ports of entry, rather than presenting themselves at legal ports of entry, also increased in February, making up 87 percent of all undocumented immigrants stopped by CBP.
In February 2019, 66,450 migrants crossed the US/Mexico border between official border crossings and were apprehended by US Border Patrol agents, committing the misdemeanor of illegal entry.
NBC News previously reported that more immigrants were growing frustrated with long lines to cross the border at legal entry points.

The proportion of immigrants crossing illegally by going between ports of entry, rather than presenting themselves at legal ports of entry, also increased in February, making up 87 percent of all undocumented immigrants stopped by CBP.
In February 2019, 66,450 migrants crossed the US/Mexico border between official border crossings and were apprehended by US Border Patrol agents, committing the misdemeanor of illegal entry.
NBC News previously reported that more immigrants were growing frustrated with long lines to cross the border at legal entry points.
Upgrade Ellis Island, right wingers. What is the holdup? No need to whine about any border problem without it.

Upgrade Ellis Island, right wingers. What is the holdup? No need to whine about any border problem without it.
That statement makes no sense?....illogical, nonsensical, and unreasoned.

That statement makes no sense?....illogical, nonsensical, and unreasoned.
You have no sense. We had no border problem when Ellis Island was open. Why appeal to ignorance?

Forum List

Back