Imagine a world where the US ignores the UN

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Imagine a world where McCain won the election in 2008, went to the UN because Syria was being mean, lost the vote, and decided to ignore the vote and build a coalition to go after Assad anyway.

What would be so terrible about giving those good nations someplace else to meet? And by good, I mean democratic. A league, or concert, of democracies wouldn't replace the U.N., but it would offer some much-needed competition.
We've had to go around the U.N. before, and usually we go to NATO. That's what President Clinton did in the Balkans and what President Obama did in Libya. Now Hillary Clinton wants an ad hoc "friends of a democratic Syria" similar to the coalition that helped topple Moammar Kadafi (and Saddam Hussein).
That's all fine, but there are problems with making these things up as you go. NATO is a military alliance. Many friends of a democratic Syria are not, themselves, democratic.

Jonah Goldberg: Veto of U.N.'s Syria resolution suggests new world body is needed - latimes.com
Imagine the uproar as Bush 3 and Palin build a UN for the nice guys to attack another country.

The Obama administration is working to help organize a so-called "friends of Syria" meeting as part of what the State Department says is a push to work "outside the U.N. system," after the Security Council shot down a resolution against Syrian President Bashar Assad.
Russia and China vetoed the anti-Assad measure despite a new wave of violence in Syria, including a massacre in the city of Homs in which hundreds reportedly were killed. The disappointing weekend session has left the United States and other countries mulling their options to prevent the bloodshed from spreading further.
The State Department said Thursday that its top Mideast envoy, Jeffrey Feltman, has been dispatched to Morocco, France and Bahrain to help put the "friends" meeting together and determine the group's membership and mandate.

US Working Around United Nations To Organize 'friends Of Syria' Meeting | Fox News

Don't bother imagining, just sit back and wait for the howls of media outrage as Obama starts another war.

Seems to me the UN is a huge waste of time and money. I'd kick 'em out of NY and stop funding what is undoubtedly the world's biggest collection of thieves.

frankly if Obama pulled a Balkans over Syria I'd cheer ( check executive order 13119 )......thats why I thought Libya was a balls up, you only get one or 2 of those.

Forum List

Back